PDA

View Full Version : Appetite Problem

randymoss675
11-29-2012, 01:01 PM
* If you don't want to read my wall of text, skip to part at the bottom marked by an asterisk.

So let me start off by saying that I'm a BIG TIME hardgainer... It took me between the start of May and the end of September to put on 15 pounds, with a nutritionist and personal trainer, at just under 5,000 calories a day (about 65% solid foods and 35% liquid). When I went back to school, however, I didn't have the privilege of a nutritionist or personal trainer and I'm extremely busy with schoolwork and such. I lost all the weight I gained throughout the spring and summer in about a month.

One note:

* I'm not looking to gain weight right now (I've realized that my schedule is simply too hectic while participating in student research, working, and trying to maintain a really high GPA in school), just trying to avoid under-eating and getting my diet fundamentally sound so I can bulk up the next time I have an opportunity to (probably next summer).

Here are some issues that I'd like your guys' take on...

For one, I have an extremely limited schedule. The University I attend only serves food at 8:00AM, 12:00, and 5:00PM, and closes at 7:00PM. It's first come, first serve, and I often get shafted out of meals and end up having to make sandwiches or eat bagels. My classes run between 9:00 and 4:30, with a break for lunch at noon. My problem is that I have a horrible and inconsistent appetite. In the morning, I cannot eat more than 200 calories without throwing up. So, at 8:00 AM, I eat a bowl of oatmeal (trying hard to keep it down) [~200 calories]. At 12:00, I often arrive too late to get a meal because of my lab running late and I have to make something myself [between ~300 and ~800 calories]. At 5:00, I try to pig out [between ~800 & 1,000 calories].

Anybody see the problem here...? On my very, very best days (extremely rarely does this happen), I'm getting 2,000 calories. I'm a guy who needs more than 3,000 calories just to maintain weight. This is not acceptable, regardless of whether or not I'm working out.

* Since I do not have an appeasable appetite [generally] before noon, and the cafeteria closes after 7:00, I'm pretty screwed here -- I essentially have to get in about 4,000 calories in just two meals under my current circumstances (NOT possible that I know of). Does anybody know of a way to increase appetite or ways around horrible appetites? Another thing worth mentioning is that I'm always STARVING after the caf closes as 7:00, so I starve throughout the entire evening, night, and early morning; then, somehow, I'm not hungry anymore when I wake up... HELP ME!

chameleonism
11-29-2012, 01:04 PM
I don't see why eating in the morning would cause you to throw up. Sounds like a mental block. Anyway, my go to answer for anyone who needs to find more calories is to add in peanut butter and/or ice cream as they are both calorie dense and have a variety of macros.

Crucifist
11-29-2012, 01:04 PM
* If you don't want to read my wall of text, skip to part at the bottom marked by an asterisk.

* Since I do not have an appeasable appetite [generally] before noon, and the cafeteria closes after 7:00, I'm pretty screwed here -- I essentially have to get in about 4,000 calories in just two meals under my current circumstances (NOT possible that I know of). Does anybody know of a way to increase appetite or ways around horrible appetites? Another thing worth mentioning is that I'm always STARVING after the caf closes as 7:00, so I starve throughout the entire evening, night, and early morning; then, somehow, I'm not hungry anymore when I wake up... HELP ME!

Sounds like you may need to start snacking on the go if you're having trouble eating enough during your "free" windows. Nuts are a relatively cheap, calorie-dense, and portable munchie that should be helpful. Also consider fruits like apples, bananas, etc.

ELLSKIES
11-29-2012, 05:49 PM
Get some of those Met Rx "Big 100" Protein bars to eat on the go and in-between meals. They're not very filling and they have a ton of protein, plus they taste pretty good. I think they have almost 500 kcals per bar . .

EjnarKolinkar
11-29-2012, 06:04 PM
Find a friend with a Costco or Sam's Club Membership. Buy cases for stash, and carry portables in bag.

Nature Valley granola bars
Nut Packets
Beef jerky

Snack Mix
Peanut butter
Jelly

Keep a loaf or bread and Milk in room if possible. You have fridge?

Get too much food at dinner and bring some foil or a Tupperware to load up to eat in room at night.

Must be some Ice cream fund raiser on campus.

LSXdr
11-29-2012, 06:07 PM
You're not a hardgainer. Eat 4k calories like he rest of us and you will gain weight. You can't eat that much? Man up and eat more other than that look for another hobby. Not being able to eat that much is not what a hargainer is.

randymoss675
11-29-2012, 06:17 PM
Thanks guys. I looked into Big100 bars as they pack about 400 calories each... but those could get expensive as they run about $20 for a box of 12.

"I don't see why eating in the morning would cause you to throw up. Sounds like a mental block."

I talked to a dietician about it and he was it's unusual as well. I don't know why, but I just have zero appetite in the morning. I tried to convince myself to just crush an extra two to four hundred calories, but I've thrown up multiple times and the other times I felt sick to my stomach for the rest of the morning. I'll try adding peanut butter to things and eating ice cream.

Freshdou
11-29-2012, 06:31 PM
Peanut butter!

$20 for a box of 12 seems cheap compared to Quest Bar which are over $2 a bar and only give out 200 calories.

randymoss675
11-29-2012, 06:31 PM
"You're not a hardgainer. Eat 4k calories like he rest of us and you will gain weight. You can't eat that much? Man up and eat more other than that look for another hobby. Not being able to eat that much is not what a hargainer is."

LOL

There's always that one guy.

I'm glad you found a hobby that didn't require being able to spell or use proper grammar.

Contrary to what you may believe, some people can actually add numbers together that total up to 4,000+ (I know, it's a big number).

Here's a real simple note for you, since you obviously have zero idea how nutrition works: if you eat too much, you gain fat; if you eat too little, you don't gain muscle; thus, you eat what is necessary to gain lean muscle and no more. I'll trust that somebody with a Ph.D in the field to make a good call on a proper diet for healthy weight gain (and I'm surprised you didn't suggest that I eat fifteen ice-cream sandwiches a day... that's over 10k calories -- would that do the trick? /sarcasm).

Now, back to the intelligible responses. And think before you post next time, please.

randymoss675
11-29-2012, 06:37 PM
"Find a friend with a Costco or Sam's Club Membership. Buy cases for stash, and carry portables in bag."

Have you ever had the muffins from Sam's Club? My friend gets those and says they pack 600 calories (although not terribly healthy) each. One of those every morning would certainly perk up the total.

I do have a fridge. Milk is something that my nutritionist kept me off of (I used and still use MuscleMilk because it doesn't have any milk in it) and the dietician I spoke with agreed with him on the matter. I used to be a huge milk drinker, though.

My goal is to tackle this appetite issue and get a solid 1,000-1,200 calories in during all three meals and, ultimately, find ways like everybody is mentioning to sneak another 1,000 calories in throughout the day.

LSXdr
11-29-2012, 06:50 PM
"You're not a hardgainer. Eat 4k calories like he rest of us and you will gain weight. You can't eat that much? Man up and eat more other than that look for another hobby. Not being able to eat that much is not what a hargainer is."

LOL

There's always that one guy.

I'm glad you found a hobby that didn't require being able to spell or use proper grammar.

Contrary to what you may believe, some people can actually add numbers together that total up to 4,000+ (I know, it's a big number).

Here's a real simple note for you, since you obviously have zero idea how nutrition works: if you eat too much, you gain fat; if you eat too little, you don't gain muscle; thus, you eat what is necessary to gain lean muscle and no more. I'll trust that somebody with a Ph.D in the field to make a good call on a proper diet for healthy weight gain (and I'm surprised you didn't suggest that I eat fifteen ice-cream sandwiches a day... that's over 10k calories -- would that do the trick? /sarcasm).

Now, back to the intelligible responses. And think before you post next time, please.
Yeah you're exactly right. I can't spell or use proper grammar but still manage to have 3 degrees somehow.
I also know nothing about nutrition that's why I have gotten top 3 at every show I have competed in so far. Feel free to make things harder than they have to be and study the science of everything and have the perfect diet while other bodybuilders like myself will eat how we want and at whatever time we want and still manage to step on stage and win shows. IIFYM
Yeah I'm that guy...

randymoss675
11-29-2012, 07:19 PM
Yeah you're exactly right. I can't spell or use proper grammar but still manage to have 3 degrees somehow.
I also know nothing about nutrition that's why I have gotten top 3 at every show I have competed in so far. Feel free to make things harder than they have to be and study the science of everything and have the perfect diet while other bodybuilders like myself will eat how we want and at whatever time we want and still manage to step on stage and win shows. IIFYM
Yeah I'm that guy...

I could tell that you were a real winner by your very first comment, there's no need to re-clarify things.

I apologize if people aspiring to do things properly upsets you. Maybe on your next post you can put all of that alleged knowledge and experience to good use and say something that doesn't make you look like a moron.

"I also know nothing about nutrition that's why I have gotten top 3 at every show I have competed in so far."

Awesome. I'll ship a whole box of cookies out to you as soon as possible. Now, would you care to share what steps you took when putting on weight? I increased my cardiovascular efficacy while going from 135 to 205 without gaining any body fat thanks to years of flawless diet and training regime produced by the aforementioned experts (and bodybuilding is not a priority in my life). Now, I'm simply looking for ways to overcome a poor appetite and sneak calories in throughout the day. If you have something constructive to say, I'm all ears. If you're going to say, "I'm 400 pounds with zero body fat and thirty blue ribbons to show for it, and you're just a p*ssy who needs to eat more," then feel free to take your expertise and perfection and move on.

Vendetta52
11-29-2012, 09:15 PM
If you go to bed starving and wake up not hungry at all, that seems like a cortisol/adrenal issue. They are a little pricey, but it might be worth it to get an ASI (adrenal stress index) text done. Your hectic schedule, with the stress of school work and not eating enough, is most likely causing you to secrete excess cortisol, which blunts hunger. How much sleep do you get a night? Are you exhausted throughout the day? Ever feel "tired and wired?" If you answer yes to the last question then cortisol is definitely a factor in this. Sleeping more will help, but you will have to force yourself initially to eat in the morning until your body gets used to eating that early, then you will be hungry for the meal.

As far as food goes, when I was in college I would sometimes bring extra food back to my dorm in tupperware containers even though we were not supposed to do it. Also, hit up a local grocery store and get peanut butter, oats, nuts, milk, whatever protein bars you want, greek yogurt, fruit, potatoes (nuke them in the microwave), beef jerky, and canned fish. You can also pick up a pre-made rotisserie chicken for $5, it should last 3-4 meals. That list right there is more than enough to satisfy your calorie needs when you can't get to the cafe. I have to say though, that is odd that there is not a place to go in between those times. The buffet-style places at my college were open from 7am-8pm pretty much everyday except holidays.

randymoss675
11-29-2012, 09:48 PM
If you go to bed starving and wake up not hungry at all, that seems like a cortisol/adrenal issue. They are a little pricey, but it might be worth it to get an ASI (adrenal stress index) text done. Your hectic schedule, with the stress of school work and not eating enough, is most likely causing you to secrete excess cortisol, which blunts hunger. How much sleep do you get a night? Are you exhausted throughout the day? Ever feel "tired and wired?" If you answer yes to the last question then cortisol is definitely a factor in this. Sleeping more will help, but you will have to force yourself initially to eat in the morning until your body gets used to eating that early, then you will be hungry for the meal.

As far as food goes, when I was in college I would sometimes bring extra food back to my dorm in tupperware containers even though we were not supposed to do it. Also, hit up a local grocery store and get peanut butter, oats, nuts, milk, whatever protein bars you want, greek yogurt, fruit, potatoes (nuke them in the microwave), beef jerky, and canned fish. You can also pick up a pre-made rotisserie chicken for $5, it should last 3-4 meals. That list right there is more than enough to satisfy your calorie needs when you can't get to the cafe. I have to say though, that is odd that there is not a place to go in between those times. The buffet-style places at my college were open from 7am-8pm pretty much everyday except holidays.

Good look. I'll surely look into the ASI test. I generally go to sleep between 12-2AM and wake up at 7. I'm usually pretty tired and sometimes I'll even slam a pre-workout when I'm in a bind so I can stay sharp in class. Sounds like something worth looking into.

rolandszi
11-29-2012, 10:02 PM
eat until youre full..