PDA

View Full Version : "Metabolic Weightlifting"

saw7988
11-29-2012, 10:46 AM
Hi guys. This topic kind of crosses a few different areas (mostly about body recomposition/calorie burning). So I wasn't sure where to put it, but I like you guys, so here we are. I've always been a proponent of lifting the minimum to maintain strength and then pull calories off until desirable weight loss is achieved. But I've been talking to one guy who's all about this "metabolic weightlifting" thing - basically lots of volume at highish rep sets (like 4x10) to burn more calories and get more EPOC. He says there's some studies that show 700 cals of EPOC is achievable, and can be combined with the burn from workout to bump TDEE up on the order of 1000 extra calories. What do you guys think. Achievable? Good idea? Better than what's normally recommended? Pipe dream?

WonderPug
11-29-2012, 10:49 AM
I think "metabolic weightlifting" is what is better known as "bodybuilding".

Can you burn lots of calories? Sure, do lots of set.

ironwill2008
11-29-2012, 11:31 AM
Hi guys. This topic kind of crosses a few different areas (mostly about body recomposition/calorie burning). So I wasn't sure where to put it, but I like you guys, so here we are. I've always been a proponent of lifting the minimum to maintain strength and then pull calories off until desirable weight loss is achieved. But I've been talking to one guy who's all about this "metabolic weightlifting" thing - basically lots of volume at highish rep sets (like 4x10) to burn more calories and get more EPOC. He says there's some studies that show 700 cals of EPOC is achievable, and can be combined with the burn from workout to bump TDEE up on the order of 1000 extra calories. What do you guys think. Achievable? Good idea? Better than what's normally recommended? Pipe dream?

I think using weight training as a means to "burn calories" is about the most inefficient use of gym time that I can imagine.

*Lift weights in progressive fashion to build muscle/strength.

*Use calorie/macro intake to control body composition.

*Use cardiovascular exercise to promote heart/lung health.