PDA

View Full Version : revise and possibly edit my diet

daking510
11-27-2012, 05:28 PM
Hey everybody.. so its been about 8 months since I've started working out at first I was consistent then due to work and school stopped and now picked it up again however with all the nutrition articles that are misleading I decided to do my own thing.. so can you please look at my diet and possibly change it, suggest alternatives, and some good recipes. Almost forgot to mention I'm 5'5 146 lbs and want to bulk

Breakfast

2 whole eggs
4 egg whites
1 or 2 slices of Kraft light cheese

1 cup of fat free ice cream or 2 slices of whole wheat bread with one tbsp of all Nat peanut butter on each slice

And water

Or 3 microwave able burritos ( beans and cheese) ill check on brand and nutrition facts later

Mini meal

Usually some fruit like a big Apple, banana, and bout a cup or more of Greek yogurt

Or a weight gain shake containing 2 tbspn of all Nat PB , 1/2-3/4 cup of oats, 1 cup of whole milk, 1 cup of mixed fruits strawberry and blueberries or whatever is around, a banana, and 2 scoops of whey protein

Lunch ( top 3 meals)

Hamburger helper and lean ground beef bout 2 cups of hamburger helper and 1 - 1 1/2 cups of meat 2-4 slices of whole weat bread

Water

Or
2 whole wheat bread cheese burgers with lean ground beef. I believe I can only find 20% fat ground beef

Or

Steak bout 2- 3 slices from package , 1 cup - 1/2 cup of brown rice, veggies ( lettuce cucumber & tomatoes or asparagus)

All of my meats are cooked either with Pam on the pan or a little olive oil

Dinner

Usually about a cup of chicken 3/4 cup brown rice

Or

3/4 cup oats & water with 1 scoop of whey , a banana and water to down this

No pre work out shake usually have a big meal

Post work out

2 cans of tuna and some crackers , and a banana

Or 1-2 scoops of whey protein 1 cup of milk and some Greek yogurt

Usually ill have a max of 4 scoops of whey but I try to keep it to a minimum because too much of it can't be good right? I try to get all my protein from natural products

Also I try to limit eating too much all natural PB 4 tbspn on workout days or 2 tbsp on non workout days

Also

I have a cheat day once a week usually just a soda , 4 slices of pizza using a napkin to remove the grease, or a big MAC for lunch then I eat healthy again

That's about all I can think about for now ... Thanks

gspratley
11-27-2012, 05:44 PM
cut out the processed stuff... no hamburger helper just have the hamburger plain with some veggies.... how many times are you eating a day? should try to break your eating into 6 sessions.... max 2 scoops of whey.... too much and your stools are going to be bricks... trust me i've learned this the hard way

Hey everybody.. so its been about 8 months since I've started working out at first I was consistent then due to work and school stopped and now picked it up again however with all the nutrition articles that are misleading I decided to do my own thing.. so can you please look at my diet and possibly change it, suggest alternatives, and some good recipes. Almost forgot to mention I'm 5'5 146 lbs and want to bulk

Breakfast

2 whole eggs
4 egg whites
1 or 2 slices of Kraft light cheese

1 cup of fat free ice cream or 2 slices of whole wheat bread with one tbsp of all Nat peanut butter on each slice

And water

Or 3 microwave able burritos ( beans and cheese) ill check on brand and nutrition facts later

Mini meal

Usually some fruit like a big Apple, banana, and bout a cup or more of Greek yogurt

Or a weight gain shake containing 2 tbspn of all Nat PB , 1/2-3/4 cup of oats, 1 cup of whole milk, 1 cup of mixed fruits strawberry and blueberries or whatever is around, a banana, and 2 scoops of whey protein

Lunch ( top 3 meals)

Hamburger helper and lean ground beef bout 2 cups of hamburger helper and 1 - 1 1/2 cups of meat 2-4 slices of whole weat bread

Water

Or
2 whole wheat bread cheese burgers with lean ground beef. I believe I can only find 20% fat ground beef

Or

Steak bout 2- 3 slices from package , 1 cup - 1/2 cup of brown rice, veggies ( lettuce cucumber & tomatoes or asparagus)

All of my meats are cooked either with Pam on the pan or a little olive oil

Dinner

Usually about a cup of chicken 3/4 cup brown rice

Or

3/4 cup oats & water with 1 scoop of whey , a banana and water to down this

No pre work out shake usually have a big meal

Post work out

2 cans of tuna and some crackers , and a banana

Or 1-2 scoops of whey protein 1 cup of milk and some Greek yogurt

Usually ill have a max of 4 scoops of whey but I try to keep it to a minimum because too much of it can't be good right? I try to get all my protein from natural products

Also I try to limit eating too much all natural PB 4 tbspn on workout days or 2 tbsp on non workout days

Also

I have a cheat day once a week usually just a soda , 4 slices of pizza using a napkin to remove the grease, or a big MAC for lunch then I eat healthy again

That's about all I can think about for now ... Thanks

hcoyle545
11-27-2012, 05:46 PM
Actually meal timing and frequency doesn't matter.

OP Check out Leangains.com

Also visit the nutrition section and read the stickies particularly the one about calculating your macronutrient requirements. Basically what it comes down to is calories in/calories out and there's no reason you can't eat some processed foods providing you get plenty of micronutrients from fruit/veg and hit your protein and fat minimums.

Trust me, do this and this stuff will become stupidly easy.

daking510
11-27-2012, 05:52 PM

Also visit the nutrition section and read the stickies particularly the one about calculating your macronutrient requirements. Basically what it comes down to is calories in/calories out and there's no reason you can't eat some processed foods providing you get plenty of micronutrients from fruit/veg and hit your protein and fat minimums.

thanks I think I just get very concerned about eating right and bulking the right way.. ive checked out and appearantly im suppose to eat somewhere around 2,000-2,200 cals a day but i try to eat at least 2,500.. so do you think my cheat meals are ok? or should i cut to twice a month to get better results when working out? ive seen a improvement in my arms but idk if its due to heavier lifting or eating more

daking510
11-27-2012, 05:54 PM
cut out the processed stuff... no hamburger helper just have the hamburger plain with some veggies.... how many times are you eating a day? should try to break your eating into 6 sessions.... max 2 scoops of whey.... too much and your stools are going to be bricks... trust me i've learned this the hard way

what do you mean by this "too much and your stools are going to be bricks"? and also if i cut out the hamburger helper is my diet fine? Im eating a maximum of 6 meals a day minimum of 4 usually eating every 3 hours

rolandszi
11-27-2012, 05:58 PM
that's good.

gspratley
11-27-2012, 06:00 PM
to each his own huh? calories in/calories out? if your halfway serious about your training then yeah follow this guys advice... timing and frequency play a significant role.... and no processed crap if you wanna be shredded.... i take my training serious and lot more precious than just cal in/cal out and it shows...

hcoyle545
11-27-2012, 06:00 PM
thanks I think I just get very concerned about eating right and bulking the right way.. ive checked out and appearantly im suppose to eat somewhere around 2,000-2,200 cals a day but i try to eat at least 2,500.. so do you think my cheat meals are ok? or should i cut to twice a month to get better results when working out? ive seen a improvement in my arms but idk if its due to heavier lifting or eating more

it's likely down to both. A 300 calorie surplus is perfect for gaining strength and size without too much fat gain. My point is that you don't need to cheat as such.

E.g. you have 2.5k calories to eat.

A McDonalds big mac is listed on their site as follows:

490calories
28g Protein

Say your macros were...

140g Protein / 70g Fat / 350g Carbs (adds up to roughly 2500 calories and based on your stats and the info. you have given regarding calories these macros would be fine to start with)

Then you need to get 2000calories, and only 110g more protein to hit your macros. It doesn't really matter how many carbs/fats you get as long as you hit your protein and get a minimum of 50-80g fat.

It also doesn't matter whether your carbs comes from brown rice or *insert sugary american cereal* in terms of body composition as long as you get plenty of fruit and veg (and fibre) in your diet.

You can also eat your calories in 1-2 sittings or 8-10 sittings, none of these has any impact on body composition, rather focus on hitting your macros before the day is out.

gspratley
11-27-2012, 06:03 PM
your frequency is good then... stools as in sh*ts, not enough fruits/veggies potentially lead to hemorrhoids... big time results= big time diet + big time exercise regimen.... you can do it man! all about routine

what do you mean by this "too much and your stools are going to be bricks"? and also if i cut out the hamburger helper is my diet fine? Im eating a maximum of 6 meals a day minimum of 4 usually eating every 3 hours

hcoyle545
11-27-2012, 06:03 PM
to each his own huh? calories in/calories out? if your halfway serious about your training then yeah follow this guys advice... timing and frequency play a significant role.... and no processed crap if you wanna be shredded.... i take my training serious and lot more precious than just cal in/cal out and it shows...

OP there is a reason this guy is red. Keep an eye on this thread.

necon76
11-27-2012, 06:06 PM

Meal frequency/nutrient timing may affect performance levels, but it has no impact on body composition. Stop talking sh!t.

gspratley
11-27-2012, 06:06 PM
to clarify... find something that works for you... make small changes initially and these will lead to habits being formed... at least 4 meals, i find that 6 works perfectly for me... for you it might be 4 or 5 or 8... listen to your body, eat when your hungry don't when your not...

hcoyle545
11-27-2012, 06:07 PM
timing and frequency play a significant role....

i c

PhiSig2298
11-27-2012, 06:12 PM
1. Names of food don't matter in the grand scheme of things... calculate your calories & macros. You need to find your estimated maintenance & slowly add calories.

2. Meal frequency doesn't matter all that much. Eat the # of meals that fits your lifestyle

3. Meal timing is only important if you struggle with energy during your routine.

4. Get on a proven routine. Focus on compound movements & squat often

Start here ( http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981)

gspratley
11-27-2012, 06:20 PM
just trying to help others by suggesting whats worked for me.... thanks... original poster hope your training goes well for you

OP there is a reason this guy is red. Keep an eye on this thread.

themonkay
11-27-2012, 06:36 PM
just trying to help others by suggesting whats worked for me.... thanks... original poster hope your training goes well for you

Does fap timing frequency play a roll in body composition as well? Plz respond

DaBubzy
11-27-2012, 06:42 PM
OP ignore the skinny gibroni that curls in front of the mirror everyday and do the following:

Set specific goals for each day based on whether you would like to cut or bulk. I would slight bulk IMO (+2-300 cals/day). Figure out your maintenance using the stickies of this forum, and break down how much of eat macronutrient you need per day to hit your caloric goals.

Pick a weightlifting program consisting mainly of compounds, stick to it and lift heavy. Something like stronglifts is popular, as well as lyle's GBR.

Eat what you want, when you want. Compose your diet mainly of whole foods, but don't be afraid to eat food that tastes good as well. just don't makeup your diet of ben & jerrys and whey everyday. Ex: Tonight and last night I added some portions of icecream to my day, fit it in no problem. Once a week I have a higher cal day that I splurge on something like a pint of icecream, but i fit it into my macros so it's not what most call a 'cheat' meal

Be consistent. You don't get jacked overnight, and nothing worth having is easy to get.