PDA

View Full Version : Calorie intake and weight gain.

GoApeShit
11-26-2012, 09:06 AM
Okay to keep things simple; I have been slowly gaining weight from 145 to 154 now. This took about 4-6 months; I wasn't necessarily eating or working out right just kind of a half assed approach that gradually got stricter. I gained weight but dropped b.f. I'm not sure the exact % but definitely more defined now than when I started. Now I have a solid training plan and I have been tracking all of my macro intakes. So this is where my question starts; I had noticed that as I slowly gained weight I had to eat more to keep gaining. I noticed this from 145 to 150 or so I went from needing 2750 to just shy of 3000. Now I seem to have stalled. I went from eating 2900ish a day to 3000 for a week, after no gain I went to 3100 and now up to 3200. I still don't seem to be gaining weight any more. Is it common to need such a large increase to keep seeing gains? My general breakdown is 150-225g protein, 250-400g carbs, and 60-80g fat daily. Also at 150 I found that 3000 was enough for 1-2lbs a week but that only lasted for a couple weeks. Would macro and calorie cycling be beneficial? Something like 2800 on rest days and 3400 on workout days with higher carbs on workout days and higher fat on rest days.

germaine07
11-26-2012, 09:23 AM
2lb a week is going to be too much at this stage. Now that you have passed your noob gains, aim for 0.5-1lb a week, or 2-3lb a month. I wouldn't be so quick to change calories. Judge bi-weekly.

rob2093124
11-26-2012, 09:25 AM
you most likely didn't lose much fat at all. you look more defined simply because you gained muscle. make sure you are weighing yourself under the same circumstances every day, or however frequent you do it. meaning, make sure you don't need to take a sh*t, you didn't eat yet, etc. try to stay consistent with this.

If you don't see any weight gain, then you simply aren't eating enough. THere's no need to have different amount of calories on workout days vs rest days. keep it constant to make it simpler.

I usually wait about 2 -3 weeks to judge whether or not i actually stalled in weight gain/ loss.

add: you should be shooting for no more that 1.5-2 lbs a month. anymore is most likely adding extra fat to your weight

koolskool
11-26-2012, 09:31 AM
It's going to increase, how much depends on your body.
I've hit 3 plateaus since I started earlier this year.

First time I didn't change much in my diet/routine and after a month I started gaining again@3000 cal.
2nd time I observed the ramadan fast and gained 5 lbs by fasting during the day and eating 3500cal at night.
3rd time I actually changed diet from 4000+ with a huge weight gain shake ---to 3000 with whole foods.
couldn't gain an ounce on the shakes and 4000cal, now I'm gaining on LESS calories, but more of them in whole foods.

GoApeShit
11-26-2012, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the quick responses; I guess I got so used to seeing the scale go up every week that I got too obsessed. I will lock my intake in for at least 2 weeks and see what my results are.

AlwaysTryin
11-26-2012, 10:38 AM

First time I didn't change much in my diet/routine and after a month I started gaining again@3000 cal.
2nd time I observed the ramadan fast and gained 5 lbs by fasting during the day and eating 3500cal at night.
3rd time I actually changed diet from 4000+ with a huge weight gain shake ---to 3000 with whole foods.
couldn't gain an ounce on the shakes and 4000cal, now I'm gaining on LESS calories, but more of them in whole foods.

Lol what? You think that you don't gain on 4000 cals from one lot of foods but gain on less from eating at night instead? Lol

pawelufo
11-26-2012, 12:46 PM
i like

rob2093124
11-26-2012, 01:18 PM

wtf did i just read

koolskool
11-26-2012, 04:55 PM
If you could read you would understand and comprehend.
I know what I eat and I know how to read a scale.

AlwaysTryin
11-26-2012, 05:43 PM
If you could read you would understand and comprehend.
I know what I eat and I know how to read a scale.
Lol you a unique snowflake defying laws brah?

koolskool
11-26-2012, 05:51 PM
No, obviously there is more to the equation than at first glance.
I have a problem with people that read a bit of science then extrapolate and interpret as LAW-- without knowing all of the myriad details.

Some scientists and people who read science think they know to damn much yet are so lacking in wisdom.

aaaand I am now gaining weight on less calories, at least for right now.