PDA

View Full Version : Motivated Skinny beginner seeking diet help

ericmmoore
11-21-2012, 02:10 PM
I began working out about a year and two months ago, I'm 6'1" and when I started i weighed 142 lbs. After the past year or so I've gained just over 20 lbs to weigh in around 165 and that was mainly trying out different things at the gym and just eating more food, not really worrying about the quality of the food. I've noticed that recently I've plateaued a bit and would like to start taking my physique more seriously. To give everyone a bit of background I've just started (about a month ago) the Simple Beginners Routine (posted in the workout programs forum) which is 3 days a week, non-consecutive, same workouts each day. Squats, Bench, BB Row, Standing Overhead BB Press, SLDL, Bicep Curls and Calf raises, with two working sets each. Monday is a heavy day, Tuesday I normally do some ab work, wednesday is medium (10% less weight) and friday is light (20% less weight). I'm looking to gain muscle and after some research it seems like this is a good workout plan for me. So now onto the hard part... my diet.

Before I started working out I ate maybe 2 meals a day and drank a lot of coke. Since then my diet has come a long way but I think it still needs some fine tuning. Ive heard mixed things on the net (both on these forums and elsewhere) about calroic ratios and what to and not to eat. As I would like to gain weight I've been eating for quantity and not so much quality, is this wrong? Heres a typical diet for my day:

Breakfast, 3 eggs, 3 pieces of buttered toast, 1 cup orange juice
29g Fat - 75g carbs - 27g protein

Gainer Shake mixed with milk
12g Fat - 76g carbs - 55g protein

16 oz steak with maked potato (butter, sour cream, bacon bits and chives)
38g fat - 61g carbs - 111g protein

Gainer shake mixed with milk
12g fat - 75g carbs - 54g protein

and I normally have a glass of OJ throughout the day as well
0g fat - 30g carbs - 1g protein

This totals 3055 cal with
819cal Fat - 1244cal Carbs - 992cal Protein
with a ratio of
27% fat - 41% carbs - 32% protein

My meals are very similar on a day to day basis with very similar macro values.
For someone trying to gain lean weight with the workout im currently doing, is this an acceptable diet? Any and all suggestions are more than welcome!

Edit: TDEE is approximately 2900

WonderPug
11-21-2012, 02:12 PM
If you're really consuming that diet then you're acutely deficient in micronutrients.

Anyway, in regard to your question, what's your estimated TDEE?

snorkelman
11-21-2012, 02:13 PM
2 real meals, and two shakes? That's what your day looks like over and over?

ericmmoore
11-21-2012, 02:23 PM
my TDEE is about 2900, I normally split the 16 oz steak into two seperate meals, one with the potato and another 2 or so hours later. I'm in school and I work in the evenings so I try to eat when I can. Any advise is more than welcome.

ps. also, with regards to the micronutrients, is this something I could aid using a multivitamin?

tom626
11-21-2012, 02:44 PM
Eat different foods sometimes. And veggies.

ironwill2008
11-21-2012, 04:00 PM
I began working out about a year and two months ago, I'm 6'1" and when I started i weighed 142 lbs. After the past year or so I've gained just over 20 lbs to weigh in around 165 and that was mainly trying out different things at the gym and just eating more food, not really worrying about the quality of the food. I've noticed that recently I've plateaued a bit and would like to start taking my physique more seriously. To give everyone a bit of background I've just started (about a month ago) the Simple Beginners Routine (posted in the workout programs forum) which is 3 days a week, non-consecutive, same workouts each day. Squats, Bench, BB Row, Standing Overhead BB Press, SLDL, Bicep Curls and Calf raises, with two working sets each. Monday is a heavy day, Tuesday I normally do some ab work, wednesday is medium (10% less weight) and friday is light (20% less weight). I'm looking to gain muscle and after some research it seems like this is a good workout plan for me. So now onto the hard part... my diet.

Before I started working out I ate maybe 2 meals a day and drank a lot of coke. Since then my diet has come a long way but I think it still needs some fine tuning. Ive heard mixed things on the net (both on these forums and elsewhere) about calroic ratios and what to and not to eat. As I would like to gain weight I've been eating for quantity and not so much quality, is this wrong? Heres a typical diet for my day:

Breakfast, 3 eggs, 3 pieces of buttered toast, 1 cup orange juice
29g Fat - 75g carbs - 27g protein

Gainer Shake mixed with milk
12g Fat - 76g carbs - 55g protein

16 oz steak with maked potato (butter, sour cream, bacon bits and chives)
38g fat - 61g carbs - 111g protein

Gainer shake mixed with milk
12g fat - 75g carbs - 54g protein

and I normally have a glass of OJ throughout the day as well
0g fat - 30g carbs - 1g protein

This totals 3055 cal with
819cal Fat - 1244cal Carbs - 992cal Protein
with a ratio of
27% fat - 41% carbs - 32% protein

My meals are very similar on a day to day basis with very similar macro values.
For someone trying to gain lean weight with the workout im currently doing, is this an acceptable diet? Any and all suggestions are more than welcome!

Edit: TDEE is approximately 2900

You're only eating a 155 calorie surplus, small enough to completely disappear if you miss two bites of food from one of your two real meals.

If you're planning to gain muscle, you're going to have to bump your calorie intake up higher. Rule of thumb says 10 to 20 % of maintenance (TDEE). For you, that's somewhere around 33-3400 cals/day.

Add a third regular-food meal. Doesn't have to be anything fancy; a chicken breast sammich or a cheeseburger will get the job done.

And for good digestion and overall health, get some fruit and veg in there every place you're able. Yes, you can just throw down a multi, but it just isn't the same, at least fiber-wise if nothing else.

BTW, you made a smart choice in going with allpro's program. If you work it as-written, eat that 3400 cals/day, and get plenty of good sleep, you're practically guaranteed to grow.