PDA

View Full Version : Polling places are packed

markymark69
11-06-2012, 05:19 AM
Just got back from voting and blown away at the lines. over 200 people standing in line. Driving into work passed another polling station and the school parking lot was overflowed and people were parking on the road. Glad to see so many people getting out to vote!

saloman
11-06-2012, 05:55 AM
Boy me too. Glad to see the voter suppression tactics haven't seemed to have had a noticeable impact yet. I'm heading out to vote this afternoon.

markymark69
11-06-2012, 06:04 AM
Boy me too. Glad to see the voter suppression tactics haven't seemed to have had a noticeable impact yet. I'm heading out to vote this afternoon.

I live in VA, they do not allow early voting of any kind. For some reason Republicans are opposed to it.

Several of my friends up in NoVa said the lines are huge.

frontofthepack
11-06-2012, 06:06 AM
I'm just glad I don't live in Florida. I'm trying to go before 5/6PM though it will be a sht show when everyone is out of work.

Flakker
11-06-2012, 07:14 AM
Uh... I though VA had universal felony disenfranchisement.

You on dat der voter fraud time?

LaxinAround
11-06-2012, 07:16 AM
Was there @ 7am for poll opening. Wasn't too bad, was out of there by 7:15. They had tables that you could also fill out your ballot at if you didn't care about being close to some other people also filling out their ballots.

ElMariachi
11-06-2012, 07:17 AM

LOL....and Marky gets his foot stuck in the bear trap yet again. I'm sure he'll have a long dissertation on how he petitioned the state, met with all type of big-wigs and got 'er done.

In four states Alabama, Kentucky, Virginia and Florida people with any felony conviction are barred for life from the polls, unless the government grants them individual rights through a petition process.

brighamw
11-06-2012, 09:24 AM

LOL....and Marky gets his foot stuck in the bear trap yet again. I'm sure he'll have a long dissertation on how he petitioned the state, met with all type of big-wigs and got 'er done.

Curious about this as well...

I think if the stories he tells about his redemption, including expungement or whatever he did are true he can now vote?

Not sure though...

As a side topic, I have no problem with restricting the voting rights of people incarcerated, or on parole/probation for felonies.

But once someone serves their time & completes all terms of their sentence, etc...

Why should their right to vote not be re-instated?

They servred their time, paid their restitution, etc...

Are they still required to pay taxes?

Are they still subject to the laws of America & whatever states they live in?

Then why is one of their fundamental rights as a citizen taken away permanently?

As I said, once their debt to society, whatever a judge has ruled that to be is paid, why shouldn't voting rights be restored?