PDA

View Full Version : Is Matt Ryan an elite qb? (srs)

MironGainzz
11-05-2012, 07:57 AM
Was discussing this yesterday with a friend. He's still young and doesn't have the experience the rest of the elite qb group have, but over the course of the last 2 seasons hes been moving on up and is playing like it this year. Playoff performance isn't there though, if he plays good and the Falcons go deep this year I think he can break into the group.

Thoughts?

Onita
11-05-2012, 08:02 AM
No. You can delete the thread now.

MCrow
11-05-2012, 08:12 AM
I think he is so far this year, on a career basis no or atleast not yet. Another year or two of doing this and he's clearly elite.

NinjaKix
11-05-2012, 08:17 AM
The best TE in NFL History and various NFL players and coaches say he is.

Onita
11-05-2012, 08:17 AM
I think he is so far this year, on a career basis no or atleast not yet. Another year or two of doing this and he's clearly elite.

I think your standards for elite are way too low.

MCrow
11-05-2012, 08:28 AM
I think your standards for elite are way too low.

I said he is to this point, this season. Not if you look at his career as a whole. If you look at Ryan's numbers so far this year compared to the elites in the league at the same age Ryan is right there with them. If you look at Ryan's first 5.5 years VS the others he's slightly better than Brees and clearly better than Big Ben. I would say at the same point in their careers Payton Manning, Rodgers and Brady were better but otherwise Ryan is probably #4-#5.

However, Ryan has not yet had playoff success so if you look at it on a career basis you have to give Brees and Big Ben the nod for the SB wins. If Ryan wins a SB and continues current production it will be impossible to have a valid arguement against him being elite.

BabyOilBrah
11-05-2012, 08:29 AM
playoff wins, not even once.

dougefresh93
11-05-2012, 08:30 AM
win a playoff game and then we can discuss.

Greg1983
11-05-2012, 08:32 AM
playoff wins, not even once.

This. He's on the Tony Romo tier. In before omg look at his stats. They're almost identical to Romo's 2011.

NJLife
11-05-2012, 08:32 AM
win some playoff games than we can talk.

also... LOL if you're not elite with an elite running game and two of the most elite WR's in the game.

my god if Brady had julio jones brb 2007.

TranceOfPeace
11-05-2012, 08:36 AM
The best TE in NFL History and various NFL players and coaches say he is.

lol

His teammates and coaches say he's elite? Wow, amazing!!!!

LikeAMachine
11-05-2012, 08:36 AM
Jones
White
Gonzolas
Turner

No

Beasly3333
11-05-2012, 08:38 AM
Absolutely not. Julio Jones, Roddy White, Tony Gonzalez, Michael Turner, good offensive line....best weapons in the entire NFL. He is a real good QB but he is not ELITE, no way. He is somewhere in the 8-15 range for QBs IMO.

MCrow
11-05-2012, 08:39 AM
Jones
White
Gonzolas
Turner

No

If you're going to go that direction not many QBs will be elite. Manning had Harrison, Wayne and Clark.

The only thing keeping Ryan from being elite is winning in the playoffs.

NinjaKix
11-05-2012, 08:45 AM
lol

His teammates and coaches say he's elite? Wow, amazing!!!!

And your opinion, as a red phaggot, is more valid?

Suck a dick.

Greg1983
11-05-2012, 08:49 AM

Suck a dick.

LOL at this guy. Yet again a thread remains civil until someone points out an obvious fact, and he has to respond with childish insults.

LikeAMachine
11-05-2012, 08:49 AM
If you're going to go that direction not many QBs will be elite. Manning had Harrison, Wayne and Clark.

Are you saying Matt Ryan is even close to as good as Manning was in his prime?

Are you comparing Tony Gonzo to Dallas Clark?

Onita
11-05-2012, 08:53 AM

And with those weapons, Peyton was consistently at the top of the charts for years.

MCrow
11-05-2012, 08:56 AM
Are you saying Matt Ryan is even close to as good as Manning was in his prime?

Are you comparing Tony Gonzo to Dallas Clark?

No, Manning was clearly better but we're not comparing who has the better HoF resume we're discussing who is elite. In Ryan's era he should be considered elite, if he adds some playoff wins. He does compare well with some of the elite QBs (Not Rodgers, Manning or Brady but better than Brees and Big Ben) in stats, but like I said he needs playoff wins.

No, I'm not comparing Clark to Gonzo I'm comparing total number of weapons each QB had. At this point the combo of Harrison, Wayne and Clark is at least as good, if not better, than Jones, White and Gonzo.

Murph0408
11-05-2012, 08:58 AM
too early. he's real good and on his way though. let's see what he does in the playoffs this year

TranceOfPeace
11-05-2012, 09:00 AM

Suck a dick.

That's your comeback? lolololololol

Vernon Davis and Jim Harbaugh say Alex Smith is elite therefore he is. Don't argue with that or I'll come back at you with insults about useless reputation points on an internet message board.

MCrow
11-05-2012, 09:01 AM
And with those weapons, Peyton was consistently at the top of the charts for years.
Exactly. Like I said, I'm not saying he's better than Manning but you can't just point at Jones, White and Gonzo and chalk up what Ryan has done to just having good players around him. He's only han Jones for 1.5 seasons and Gonzo wasn't there year 1. The current core of weapons has only been together for 1.5 years.

I'm not saying he's elite, I'm saying he's playing eilte so far this year. He needs to win playoff games to be called elite.

NinjaKix
11-05-2012, 09:07 AM
That's your comeback? lolololololol

Vernon Davis and Jim Harbaugh say Alex Smith is elite therefore he is. Don't argue with that or I'll come back at you with insults about useless reputation points on an internet message board.

I mentioned 1 Falcon, Gonzalez. He is not the type to make a statement like that if he does not believe it's true.

A HOF TE, Various former Pro's, Analysts, current players and opposing head coaches have all said he's elite. Your opinion, as someone who has never played in the NFL, does not matter.

Nocks
11-05-2012, 09:09 AM
Elite QB Tier 1 (God mode)(No order):
Peyton "Most 4th quarter comebacks in NFL history/Full bake mode" Manning
Tommy "3 ringzzzz/Man Uggs/Wouldbangwife" Brady
Drew "Harry Potter scar"/"TDs erry game"/"No more paper bags" Brees
Aaron "**Only one under 30 crew**/Mustache of peace/Discount Double Check" Rodgers

Elite QB Tier 2 (Elite but not in the above category, more consistency pls)****So Close****
Eli "No emotions, yet brutal killer/umad tom brady?/Montana or Manning?" Manning
Ben "I rape women/No one likes me/Send ur whole d-line noregrets.jpeg" Roethlisberger

Those are the only Elite QBs.

mcbizkit02
11-05-2012, 09:09 AM
This. He's on the Tony Romo tier. In before omg look at his stats. They're almost identical to Romo's 2011.Romo actually has a playoff win.

Impurityz
11-05-2012, 09:10 AM
Romo actually has a playoff win.

and been in the league a lot longer

Greg1983
11-05-2012, 09:14 AM

Yup. I'd love to hear one solid argument that Matt Ryan is elite and Tony Romo isn't.

TranceOfPeace
11-05-2012, 09:14 AM
I mentioned 1 Falcon, Gonzalez. He is not the type to make a statement like that if he does not believe it's true.

A HOF TE, Various former Pro's, Analysts, current players and opposing head coaches have all said he's elite. Your opinion, as someone who has never played in the NFL, does not matter.

Dude, in every press conference before the game every coach will compliment every player on the other team, no matter how bad the player is.

lol at Gonzalez not being the type to say something that he does not believe. just lol. Listen to what you're saying.

tbzink
11-05-2012, 09:15 AM
As an Atlanta fan...I say he isn't elite yet. Sure he is playing well, but playoff wins are what will make him elite. Adversity will make him elite. Atlanta teams are always 1 and done in the playoffs. Hopefully this year is different.

Greg1983
11-05-2012, 09:16 AM
As an Atlanta fan...I say he isn't elite yet. Sure he is playing well, but playoff wins are what will make him elite. Adversity will make him elite. Atlanta teams are always 1 and done in the playoffs. Hopefully this year is different.

He sees it every January, and it doesn't.

MCrow
11-05-2012, 09:20 AM

Adversity only helps someone become elite if they can overcome the adversity.

mcbizkit02
11-05-2012, 09:21 AM
and been in the league a lot longer1 1/2 years as a starter.

_Aggression_
11-05-2012, 09:28 AM
Aaron "**Only one under 30 crew**/Mustache of peace/Discount Double Check" Rodgers

Elite QB Tier 2 (Elite but not in the above category, more consistency pls)****So Close****
Eli "No emotions, yet brutal killer/umad tom brady?/Montana or Manning?" Manning
Ben "I rape women/No one likes me/Send ur whole d-line noregrets.jpeg" Roethlisberger

This is pretty damn accurate IMO. As a die-hard Giant fan, I may argue Eli should be in tier 1, but after his inconsistency over the last few weeks, I'll agree 100% with this list. And lol at Ben's nicknames

MironGainzz
11-05-2012, 09:31 AM

This is true. If there is another QB to join the 2nd tier though I would say Ryan is in line, especially if they go deep in the post season. Lol, no more Tony Romo in this thread plz

Trapstar4.4
11-05-2012, 09:32 AM

not saying that ryan is elite (although he is definitely headed in that direction because he is playing on an elite level)
but romo is wildy inconsistent. i hope nobody actually considers him elite

mcbizkit02
11-05-2012, 09:35 AM
not saying that ryan is elite (although he is definitely headed in that direction because he is playing on an elite level)
but romo is wildy inconsistent. i hope nobody actually considers him eliteJust saying if Ryan is elite, then Romo has to be elite.

MironGainzz
11-05-2012, 09:37 AM
Just saying if Ryan is elite, then Romo has to be elite.
Stop, just stop.

Patient Bear
11-05-2012, 09:39 AM
I said he is to this point, this season. Not if you look at his career as a whole. If you look at Ryan's numbers so far this year compared to the elites in the league at the same age Ryan is right there with them. If you look at Ryan's first 5.5 years VS the others he's slightly better than Brees and clearly better than Big Ben.

Whoa there motherfuker, I'm gonna stop you there.

Big Ben is not elite.

That is all.

MCrow
11-05-2012, 09:45 AM
Whoa there motherfuker, I'm gonna stop you there.

Big Ben is not elite.

That is all.

WAT?

Do you even football?

Has 2 SBs, #5 on the list of active QBs in passing yards and TDs and younger than all of those ahead of him and not elite?

VeneVidiVici
11-05-2012, 09:46 AM
julio jones roddy white elite wrs

drvillain
11-05-2012, 09:49 AM
He has been elite all season.

That's all I'll say about it.

zeemsBRAH
11-05-2012, 09:50 AM
he is peyton manning before he won a playoff game.

it took #18 how long to win a game in the post season? 5 years?

he went 0-3 before winning one. Ryan will get his.

edit: ok maybe not as prolific of a passer as peyton, but nobody is.

Greg1983
11-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Stop, just stop.

If Ryan continues this pace for the next 8 games (and that's no sure thing) he'll finally have a season as good as Romo was last year. Romo has a higher career QB rating, and yards per attempt. So what makes Ryan better?

NoS_oUtLaSt
11-05-2012, 10:07 AM
No he doesn't get the cool special label. That is reserved for people who win the Superbowl.

But he is playing like one.

Trapstar4.4
11-05-2012, 10:07 AM
He has been elite all season.

That's all I'll say about it.

yeah thats all we can say. pretty much just focused on next week. it sho' would be nice to pick up a win in the NO superdome. that ALWAYS feels good. i dont care what their record is

he is peyton manning before he won a playoff game.

it took #18 how long to win a game in the post season? 5 years?

he went 0-3 before winning one. Ryan will get his.

edit: ok maybe not as prolific of a passer as peyton, but nobody is.

yeah I like the fact that he is clearly growing at a fast rate. NOBODY can hate on that. the guy is smart and is actually leveraging it well. he was a young gun and is getting better every year. feelsgoodman

GooBaaa
11-05-2012, 10:09 AM
Nope dat Dome life

chlaxman
11-05-2012, 10:53 AM
Hes playing like an elite QB. But he has to win playoff games, thats the only way to convinve people.

I do think theyll win one this year.

And i still laugh at "Lets go"

MCrow
01-21-2013, 09:31 AM
Adversity only helps someone become elite if they can overcome the adversity.

I would say that the above proves Ryan isn't there yet.