PDA

View Full Version : What does that +/- column mean on nba.com?

DiscipIine
11-01-2012, 09:14 AM
In the statline theres one stat thats +/-, and I don't really get it.

For example in the clippers game, CP3 had a -1 with 12pts on 4/10 and 12 assists to 2 TO's,
Jamal crawford had a +5 with 10/14 shootings and 29 pts with 1 TO.
But then Willie Green has a +21 with 4 rebs, 2 asts, and 7pts on 2/7 shooting with 0 TO's?

explain this stat to me because i'm kind of lost here. Both the top players seemed to have had great efficent games, so how did willie do so much better?

richard02
11-01-2012, 09:17 AM
points for/points against while on the court. not from last nights game, just an example; 29 points scored by the Clips, 30 scored by the Grizzlies, gives CP3 a -1.

seems useful, but I don't know where it stands in the world of NBA stats.

lolgreg
11-01-2012, 09:27 AM
Did they just start tracking +/- recently? I don't ever remember seeing it on NBA stats. Only NHL.

iZZmatic
11-01-2012, 09:31 AM
I was always wondering this to, they added it into the stat column in NBA 2k games back in 2009 I think. I always thought it was the difference in the stats between the game played and stats throughout the season.

SpartacusNYC
11-01-2012, 09:33 AM
Did they just start tracking +/- recently? I don't ever remember seeing it on NBA stats. Only NHL.

It has become more prominent in basketball as of late.

AhDo
11-01-2012, 10:27 AM
It's not entirely useful. There's a lot of other factors. For example, if a scrub is in the starting lineup and has a high +/- it is usually because the other starters are really good. Or when the starters are - while the bench is positive, it doesn't necessarily mean the starters are bad. When the starters switch out, the other team's starters switch out too. So what it is saying is that the bench is better than the other team's bench, but the bench would have a worse +/- if it was to face the other team's starters

Fahnestock
11-01-2012, 10:34 AM
It is somewhat useful over a large sample, over a few games its useless.

MCrow
11-01-2012, 11:28 AM
It is somewhat useful over a large sample, over a few games its useless.

I would say you need a full season or at the very least half for it to mean anything. Even then if you are a good player on a scrub team you get screwed.

ZidaneValor
11-01-2012, 11:39 AM
The best application for it is not to compare +/- of players on different teams, but to compare the +/- to different 5-man combinations on the same team to see which players gel best.

MCrow
11-01-2012, 11:50 AM
The best application for it is not to compare +/- of players on different teams, but to compare the +/- to different 5-man combinations on the same team to see which players gel best.

Yup, that is the best use. Most of the time you take the +/- if tge dufferent combos and it is pretty accurate in telling which is the best.

AhDo
11-01-2012, 12:35 PM
not exactly. The best 5 man team usually starts the game to play the other team's best 5-man team. The bench could have a better +/- but that is only because they are playing against the opposing team's bench

MCrow
11-01-2012, 01:18 PM
not exactly. The best 5 man team usually starts the game to play the other team's best 5-man team. The bench could have a better +/- but that is only because they are playing against the opposing team's bench

Yes, but you almost never have a full B team vs another team's A team. Most othe time you have maybe 2-3 starters out, max. More often than not they're only be 1-2 out at any given time.

Trequartista
11-01-2012, 02:34 PM
it can be useful in the sense of judging how well a guy plays defense, if hes not contributing much on offense but still has a high +/-, hes probably a good defender

Josh32Selby
11-01-2012, 03:20 PM
ITT: No one understands Statistical Plus-Minus, Adjusted Plus-Minus, and Regularized Adjusted Plus-Minus.

brb_ballin
11-01-2012, 03:27 PM
it can be useful in the sense of judging how well a guy plays defense, if hes not contributing much on offense but still has a high +/-, hes probably a good defender

lol no.

the players team could be scoring lots or shuting the opposing team down.... if it was +/- vs. the player they're matched up against then ya but it's not

brb say Lakers score 30 in the 1st Q... and the clippers score only 20.... if Paul had 16 points would Nash be considered a good defender cause he was +10? no.