PDA

View Full Version : Rare meat vs. well-done. Which is better?

Barzona
10-26-2012, 08:30 AM
I'd naturally assume that the rarer the meat, the better it will be for you when it comes to gaining muscle, but maybe I have it backwards.

What do you guys know about it? I'm specifically referring to beef. I don't think rare chicken is a good idea.

Speaking of different meat, is beef the best kind, or is there something better out there for gaining the muscle?

SSMUFF
10-26-2012, 08:31 AM
Medium rare is the best tasting for steak! Chicken always has to be cooked through. Pork you can go medium.

mrh0rnet
10-26-2012, 08:37 AM
I don't really care how much better it tastes i'm not eating bloody meat. Right on the verge of being done is fine but those pics where people cut their steak open and blood just runs out is just...no...can't do it.

Barzona
10-26-2012, 08:45 AM
I don't really care how much better it tastes i'm not eating bloody meat. Right on the verge of being done is fine but those pics where people cut their steak open and blood just runs out is just...no...can't do it.

I don't mind bloody steak, myself. Nobody's answered my question as to whether it's a better idea, yet, though.

rand18m
10-26-2012, 08:49 AM
I don't mind bloody steak, myself. Nobody's answered my question as to whether it's a better idea, yet, though.

The differences are negligible, you should eat your steak the way you like them!!

germaine07
10-26-2012, 09:08 AM
Medium for me.

naturalguy
10-26-2012, 09:26 AM
very rare for this guy

bacon90
10-26-2012, 09:26 AM
i personally prefer mine well done , and FYI its not actually blood running out of the meat its myoglobin thats why you dont get it with white meats , because they have lower amounts of myoglobin , but anyway back to the question , as far as i know theres no real difference in wether its better for you or not , i suppose its the same as eggs , i prefer them cooked but if im in a rush ill just crack some in a glass and drink them , still getting the same thing just prepared differently , the only thing you add to something by cooking it is whatever you put in the pan , they might be less water in well done meat but thats about it

DwyaneWheyde
10-26-2012, 10:07 AM
Medium rare steak, please. You know, I find it funny that when I was a kid I always preferred eating chicken over eating steak, because my family always cooked it well done. Liked steak, but didn't love it. I ALWAYS needed A1 or something to give it flavor. When I was a teen, I tried eating medium rare steak and never looked back. Juicy, flavorful, plump and as tasty as it can get. Can't stand overcooked steak these days. Drives my family nuts... they can't even handle a bit of pink in their steaks.

ironwill2008
10-26-2012, 10:12 AM
I'd naturally assume that the rarer the meat, the better it will be for you when it comes to gaining muscle, but maybe I have it backwards.

Not enough difference to make a difference.

Eat your steak (or whatever) however you like it. Just make sure it's at least cooked to minimum required temp for health reasons.

Deathstroke
10-26-2012, 10:30 AM
Well rare tastes better. I love NY strip, fillet mignon and a big juicy porterhouse rare VERY bloody! Raw as a rare (no pun here) treat.

Nexxus
10-26-2012, 10:58 AM
I like medium rare. Don't think it'll make a difference in terms of nutrition composition or anything tho lol

kevtoy22
10-26-2012, 11:07 AM
Well rare tastes better. I love NY strip, fillet mignon and a big juicy porterhouse rare VERY bloody! Raw as a rare (no pun here) treat.

Is raw beef that good? I love a rare steak but my uncle loves to eat pieces before cooking at all which I have always questioned.

yieldtonothing
10-26-2012, 11:23 AM
i don't trust anyone who orders a steak well done

Deathstroke
10-26-2012, 02:22 PM
Is raw beef that good? I love a rare steak but my uncle loves to eat pieces before cooking at all which I have always questioned.

I find it absolutely delicious. It tastes like a very rare steak only less chewy. It melts in your mouth. It has a naturally bloody taste to it, even though I've never given blood a good long taste other than in a raw or rare steak cause that would just be weird. I don't think blood from biting my tongue or lip would count, but raw steak certainly tastes much better than that did to me!

mrh0rnet
10-26-2012, 03:54 PM
I mean seriously who just eats raw meat? SMH

Bonuman
10-26-2012, 05:30 PM
Lol, was thinking the same thing. Then I remembered that I did once too. Cooked a steak while hungry. Put it on the plate, cut into it and the middle was still very red and "glazy". Still ate the motherf. Delicious.

Haveboards
10-26-2012, 05:50 PM
Would tackle and eat a cow.

Rare all the way for flavour.

Steak carpaccio and tartare is delicious too.

Anything over medium kills a steak for flavour.

Bonuman
10-28-2012, 06:29 AM
Who gives a phuck about sodium.
And you deserve a beating for hating on bacon. Can't do that, son.

Deathstroke
10-28-2012, 06:35 AM
I mean seriously who just eats raw meat? SMH

I've had people shake their heads at me for worse, like when I said I drank tuna protein shakes awhile ago. Someone was like "drinking fish is wrong...JUST WRONG!".

Bonuman
10-29-2012, 04:33 PM
Gotta admit, though, that sounds kinda wrong.

"I'm drinking some fish, it's so good, bro."

On a further note, anyone ever tried blended steak??

PerpetualMotion
10-29-2012, 05:11 PM
Chicken always has to be cooked through.

No, it doesn't. Proper sous vide can eliminate salmonella before temperatures are even at 155F. Heston Blumenthal cooks his chicken to 140F.

Tupperwolf
10-29-2012, 05:36 PM
LMAO at anyone thinks that the red liquid that comes out of rare cooked meat is blood.

Niku2
01-07-2018, 11:32 AM
[Medium rare is the best tasting for steak!
That's your opinion (taste). Personally, any kind of rare disgusts and repels me, and I always have my steak WELL DONE. I like it when it's brittle. It just tastes better that way.

Niku2
01-07-2018, 11:34 AM
Rare tastes better if you like the taste of blood.

Niku2
01-07-2018, 11:36 AM
I've had people shake their heads at me for worse, like when I said I drank tuna protein shakes awhile ago. Someone was like "drinking fish is wrong...JUST WRONG!".

I've never heard of drinking fish before. That is DISGUSTING!!

boost369
08-29-2018, 10:20 PM
Red meat is the best for gaining lean muscle mass. You are eating red muscle tissue in comparison to white chicken. Additionally there is crucial fat that is needed for growth. As far as how cooked red meat should be, I have no idea. But I would think uncooked muscle tissue (rare) would be less damaged and easier for your body to digest and transfer to your muscles.

EjnarKolinkar
08-29-2018, 10:27 PM
But I would think uncooked muscle tissue (rare) would be less damaged and easier for your body to digest and transfer to your muscles.

Nope. The more you cook meat the easier it is to digest. The cooking process breaks down the tissue and makes it easier to digest. It's common sense when you think about it that the less work your digestive tract had to do teh easier it will harvest nutrients.

Fundmantally though whether one prefers well done or cooked to minimum safety in terms of temperature it's just not all that significant in comparison to preference.

But bro, the thread is from 2012.

Nedo
08-30-2018, 06:34 AM
The more you cook meat the easier it is to digest. The cooking process breaks down the tissue and makes it easier to digest. It's common sense when you think about it that the less work your digestive tract had to do teh easier it will harvest nutrients.

I think you have this backwards for beef. My understanding of it is that the less cooked it is, the easier it is to break down. A medium steak is more tender and less chewy than well done (without using marinades).