PDA

View Full Version : I have more time, what should I do?

BeerDefender
10-25-2012, 09:49 AM
I'm 6'1 and my goal is to get from a somewhat muscular 223lbs. to a good-looking 195lbs. I'm currently lifting Mon-Wed-Fri with a 20 minutes or so of cardio on the elliptical. On Tuesday and Thursday I do about an hour of cardio on the elliptical as well. On the weekends I either rest or do a bit of cardio as well. My diet is good, aside from alcohol, and I'm making progress I'd say I'm happy with.

I absolutely hate doing cardio.

The lifting routine I use is one I found on here, which consists solely of dumbbells, since I work out at my apartment complex.

Monday:
Bench Press 3-4 sets 8-10 reps
Incline Press 3-4 sets 8-10 reps
Fly 3-4 sets 8-10 reps
Lying Triceps Extension 3-4 sets 8-10 reps
Overhead Triceps Extension 3-4 sets 8-10 reps

Wednesday:
Bent-Over Rows 3-4 sets 8-10 reps
Lying Row 3-4 sets 8-10 reps
Incline Row 3-4 sets 8-10 reps
Curl 3-4 sets 8-10 reps
Concentration Curl 3-4 sets 8-10 reps
Hammer Curls 3-4 sets 8-10 reps
Reverse Wrist Curl 3-4 sets 20-30 reps

Friday:
Squat 3-4 sets 8-10 reps
Lunge 3-4 sets 8-10 reps
Straight Leg Deadlift 3-4 sets 8-10 reps
Shoulder Press 3-4 sets 8-10 reps
Side Lateral Raise 3-4 sets 8-10 reps
Bent-Over Raise 3-4 sets 8-10 reps

My question is whether there is more I can be doing to speed up the progress, or maybe something I should change to make what I'm doing more efficient. I have a pretty open schedule, which allows me to devote as much time as I need to this goal, on whatever schedule.

Any suggestions?

earthshieldlol
10-25-2012, 09:53 AM
What is your diet?

BeerDefender
10-25-2012, 10:08 AM
What is your diet?

I like to mix it up, but I do find myself eating the same things quite often. I try to keep it just under 1800 calories. I shoot for around 500 cals for each meal, then 300 cals for snacks.

For breakfast I usually have three whole eggs (210 cals), turkey sausage (100 cals), and two slices of toast (90 cals). For lunch or dinner I usually eat a sandwich, either turkey or tuna (around 400 cals), a bowl of healthy chicken stew (chicken breast, potatoes, carrots, celery, broth), or turkey chili. Sometimes I'll have a Chipotle burrito bowl or chicken breast with vegetables, and I'm currently looking for new recipes.

Snacks are usually vegetables, hummus, apples, natural peanut butter, non-fat cottage cheese, non-fat yogurt, nuts, and the occasional treat of beef jerky.

If I know I'll be having a few beers that night I keep that in mind throughout the day and factor it into my calorie count.

BeerDefender
10-25-2012, 10:12 AM
I should also add that before a road trip vacation last week, I dropped considerable water weight from 227lbs to 224lbs. Due to indulgence and convenience I completely disregarded my diet during the week, and had Double Doubles from In N Out at least 12 times, though I usually only had a meal or two each day. I walked several miles every day and hiked a bit, due to the nature of the destination. When I got back (last Sunday) I was happy to see I weighed in at 223lbs, so I guess I burned those calories. I've been eating healthy and sticking with my routine since I got back and this morning I weighed in at 219.8lbs.

matman1813
10-25-2012, 10:19 AM
Full body 2/3 times a week?

sharpieblet
10-25-2012, 10:38 AM
diet needs to be less of a deficit...you're eating less than i do on a cut and twice my size. bad idea. i'd start around 2200-2500 cals instead. and cut out the alcohol if you're going to get serious about it. sure, it can be fit in, and on occasion it's a nice relaxing thing to have, but if you're having alcohol every weekend or every other weekend, you're sabotaging your goals imho.

earthshieldlol
10-25-2012, 10:48 AM
diet needs to be less of a deficit...you're eating less than i do on a cut and twice my size. bad idea. i'd start around 2200-2500 cals instead. and cut out the alcohol if you're going to get serious about it. sure, it can be fit in, and on occasion it's a nice relaxing thing to have, but if you're having alcohol every weekend or every other weekend, you're sabotaging your goals imho.

except that he's not accurately measuring his food so i'm sure he's consuming more than 1800cal. especially eating 12 double double in a weekend wtf is this i dont even. i hope they were at least animal style.

@op you need to weigh your food and keep an accurate calorie count if you want to be as efficient about this as possible.

BeerDefender
10-25-2012, 11:06 AM

I have been drinking quite a bit less than I used to, but I'd rather do cardio for two hours a day than give up social time with my friends. I was using a calculator on MyFitnessPal that said 1800 is what I should be at, though that was without considering the calories I burn while working out.

except that he's not accurately measuring his food so i'm sure he's consuming more than 1800cal. especially eating 12 double double in a weekend wtf is this i dont even. i hope they were at least animal style.

@op you need to weigh your food and keep an accurate calorie count if you want to be as efficient about this as possible.

You're right in that I haven't been weighing my food, but I do measure servings. Almost everything I eat, aside from chicken breast and vegetables, comes with a label. If I'm eating stew or chili I'll measure it out by the cup, and if I'm making a recipe I make sure it has the calorie contents. Would it benefit me to get a scale and weigh my food that already has nutrition information listed? If so, I will. I do track my calories using MyFitnessPal.

I probably shouldn't have mentioned the double double thing, as it's a complete anomaly. It was over a seven day stretch rather than a weekend, which makes it a little better (but not much!). I've never done that here at home, and I honestly can't remember the last time I ate fast food (aside from Chipotle, if that counts). We don't have In N Out where I live, and yes, they were animal style :)

BeerDefender
10-25-2012, 11:11 AM
I also wanted to add, I'd really like to start doing less cardio and more lifting. However, since I consider myself a beginner, I'm not sure if it would be healthy to do more than three days per week right now. Would be doing that routine Monday through Saturday and resting Sunday be too much and/or counter-productive?

earthshieldlol
10-25-2012, 11:12 AM
I probably shouldn't have mentioned the double double thing, as it's a complete anomaly. It was over a seven day stretch rather than a weekend, which makes it a little better (but not much!). I've never done that here at home, and I honestly can't remember the last time I ate fast food (aside from Chipotle, if that counts). We don't have In N Out where I live, and yes, they were animal style :)

yo i dont blame u man, they're fukcing delicious. i would prolly be able to devour 4-5 of them right this very moment. do want.

BeerDefender
10-25-2012, 11:18 AM
yo i dont blame u man, they're fukcing delicious. i would prolly be able to devour 4-5 of them right this very moment. do want.

I don't make it down that way very often, and time and budget dictated we'd be living off of fast food, so I took advantage! Literally didn't eat at another fast food restaurant the entire 3200 mile trip.

dmacdonal9
10-25-2012, 01:45 PM
I also wanted to add, I'd really like to start doing less cardio and more lifting. However, since I consider myself a beginner, I'm not sure if it would be healthy to do more than three days per week right now. Would be doing that routine Monday through Saturday and resting Sunday be too much and/or counter-productive?

I think lifting more would be less efficient to be honest. Been there done that, learned my lesson.

Drop the cardio and try a new activity that burns calories and is fun to do. Hiking, mountain biking, martial arts, basketball, cross country skiing, etc, etc. Stuff like that burns far more calories than formal cardio because you spend so much more time at it, just because it's fun.

BeerDefender
10-26-2012, 01:15 PM
I think lifting more would be less efficient to be honest. Been there done that, learned my lesson.

Drop the cardio and try a new activity that burns calories and is fun to do. Hiking, mountain biking, martial arts, basketball, cross country skiing, etc, etc. Stuff like that burns far more calories than formal cardio because you spend so much more time at it, just because it's fun.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to look into picking up an active hobby as you mentioned, and keep lifting on the schedule I'm on. I'm curious to know if and when I should start lifting six days a week like some of the people on here.