PDA

View Full Version : egg fried rice ?

bacon90
10-18-2012, 04:16 AM
hey guys was just wondering if egg fried rice would be classed as a good food for someone trying to shed fat ? , the recipe i use is 1 cup brown rice , 1 diced chicken breast , 3 egg whites 1 whole egg , and i fry it all in 1 tbsp olive oil and season with pepper , as far as i can see its a pretty good meal but just wanted a second opinion

BDeblo
10-18-2012, 04:21 AM
No food is good or bad. Dont exceed your daily calorie limit while achieving sufficient amounts of protein and fat and you will be golden

pazzadean
10-18-2012, 04:23 AM
Surly it all depends on your macros for that day

layarph
10-18-2012, 04:23 AM
No individual food or macronutrient adds fat!

bacon90
10-18-2012, 04:29 AM
Surly it all depends on your macros for that day

look im not being a prick or anything but iv been on this site a long time now and no matter what question iv asked on nutrition or fat loss all i keep hearing is "macros , macros , macros , calory defecit" i know all off this but im asking a simple question if someone says "is a donner kebab covered in chilli with a side portion of deep fried chicken wings and chips good for fat loss" then im pretty sure the answer wouldnt be "if its within your macros" what i want to know if my lunch is normally something like 1 chicken breast with 1 cup of brown pasta and low fat cheese , does what i said above sound like it could be a good replacement for this , i do appreciate you trying to help but iv literally over countless posts on this site never received the info i wanted on diet and nutrition unless iv asked something about macros

bacon90
10-18-2012, 04:30 AM
No individual food or macronutrient adds fat!

i know but what i mean is say for instance you look at a pro bodybuilder or a pro athlete who is preparing for a show/event and needs to drop some bodyfat is this the type of meal they might eat to change things up a little ?

layarph
10-18-2012, 04:33 AM
i know but what i mean is say for instance you look at a pro bodybuilder or a pro athlete who is preparing for a show/event and needs to drop some bodyfat is this the type of meal they might eat to change things up a little ?

Your post above and this post still implies you don't understand so you shouldn't be so rude! We don't say "if it fits your macros" for the sake of it, or because we don't want to look quite as good as a IFBB pro, we say it because it is physiological, scientific fact!

If a pro bodybuilder wanted to shed fat, he could eat a donner kebab if he wanted if he fitted it into his macros!

If you can comfortably fit a donner kebab into your macros, and stay at caloric deficit by the end of the day, then absolutely, you can consume it!

pazzadean
10-18-2012, 04:34 AM
look im not being a prick or anything but iv been on this site a long time now and no matter what question iv asked on nutrition or fat loss all i keep hearing is "macros , macros , macros , calory defecit" i know all off this but im asking a simple question if someone says "is a donner kebab covered in chilli with a side portion of deep fried chicken wings and chips good for fat loss" then im pretty sure the answer wouldnt be "if its within your macros" what i want to know if my lunch is normally something like 1 chicken breast with 1 cup of brown pasta and low fat cheese , does what i said above sound like it could be a good replacement for this , i do appreciate you trying to help but iv literally over countless posts on this site never received the info i wanted on diet and nutrition unless iv asked something about macros

Haha use google next time then to check out nutritional numbers instead of asking everybody else to do it for you!

Or eat whatever the fuk u want!

layarph
10-18-2012, 04:39 AM
Haha use google next time then to check out nutritional numbers instead of asking everybody else to do it for you!

Or eat whatever the fuk u want!

^^^ This. You have been getting the answers you need probably, you just didn't get the answers you wanted!

We aren't gonna look at the macros of different foods for you! You have to do that yourself! Because it is the macros that determine your body composition, not whether it is named egg fried rice or brown rice!

bacon90
10-18-2012, 04:48 AM
^^^ This. You have been getting the answers you need probably, you just didn't get the answers you wanted!

We aren't gonna look at the macros of different foods for you! You have to do that yourself! Because it is the macros that determine your body composition, not whether it is named egg fried rice or brown rice!

heres the thing , for the past 10 month ive been trying to shed fat , ive been on a constant diet , for the first 7 - 8 month there was no change in my body composition or weight , so i seeked help on here i got the info i needed about working out my maintenance , my BMR , calory defecit and macros and i done it all , i count my calories and macros and write them down everyday from everything i consume , im on a 20% defecit and im hitting just under my macros of 270g protein 270g carbs and 135g of fats , yet even tho im doing all this plus 2 hours of cardio per week and 4 hours of lifting per week im gaining weight and getting fatter ! , iv gained 6 lb in 3 weeks on a diet that iv done by using all the "count macros and calories" info ive had from here yet every time i ask someone about it i get told im doing something wrong or im stupid or i dont know what im doing , i dont care if its a scientific biological fact or whatever i go by experience and at the moment im on the verge of forgetting it all and just living the unhealthy lifestyle i used to and not caring about my health or wellbeing so when im asking for an opinion on something the last thing i want to hear is the same stuff that got me in this position in the first place !

Makween
10-18-2012, 04:58 AM
...i dont care if its a scientific biological fact...

Wtf? What sort of answer are you expecting to this?

If you're counting calories and macros and still gaining weight, it just means that you either have done or are doing your sums incorrectly. Go back to square one, work everything out again, count everything for a while (even if it means weighing and measuring literally every item on your plate) and then start eyeballing portion sizes once you're comfortable with it.

You aren't putting on fat because you're a unique snowflake who somehow isn't subject to the same physiological, scientific laws as everyone else on the planet; you're putting on fat because you're doing it wrong. Correct your own mistakes and stop being rude to people who're trying to help you.

layarph
10-18-2012, 05:00 AM
Well it's clear you're frustrated, but don't take that out on people trying to help. How are posters on the other end of the world meant to take into account your issues when you only just explain them in a later post! F*cking grow up and stop making immature in thinking that your body works differently to any other human beings!

Now for helping ... if you are gaining 6lbs in 3 weeks, you simply aren't eating at a deficit mate! I don't care if that's not what you wanna hear frankly. You aren't physiologically different to anyone else. Are you weighing? Tracking properly with something such as myfitnesspal? How many calories are you getting in each day?

And answer these questions! Don't throw a f*cking strop "because you've been told it all before"

bacon90
10-18-2012, 05:10 AM
Well it's clear you're frustrated, but don't take that out on people trying to help. How are posters on the other end of the world meant to take into account your issues when you only just explain them in a later post! F*cking grow up and stop making immature in thinking that your body works differently to any other human beings!

Now for helping ... if you are gaining 6lbs in 3 weeks, you simply aren't eating at a deficit mate! I don't care if that's not what you wanna hear frankly. You aren't physiologically different to anyone else. Are you weighing? Tracking properly with something such as myfitnesspal? How many calories are you getting in each day?

And answer these questions! Don't throw a f*cking strop "because you've been told it all before"

look i appologise for being stroppy but honestly iv done it all , i weigh every meal , i look at the labels and use a calculator , i input it all on mfp and i write it all down aswell , my maintenance is 3200kcal , im consuming between 2200 and 2500 daily im 272lb and my macros are 270g protein , 270g carbs , 130g fats , i only drink water and i drink 5 litres a day , i take 4 CLA tablets daily and 2 servings of liquid l-carnatine and i take cod liver oil supplements every night i prep my meals for the next day i weigh each thing out on a food scale and look at the packaging and i work out the total calories , protein , fats , carbs for the portion size , i also cook my food in 1tbsp olive oil which i also write down the fat content (0carbs and protein) , as i said iv had nutritionalists , pro athletes , bodybuilders all look at it , help me work it all out and even they cant see where im going wrong

layarph
10-18-2012, 05:17 AM
Are you using those macros now?

You do realise that they come to 3330 cals don't you? So you aren't consuming 2200-2500 if you're consuming those macro numbers. That will be why you aren't losing weight.

bacon90
10-18-2012, 05:21 AM
Are you using those macros now?

You do realise that they come to 3330 cals don't you? So you aren't consuming 2200-2500 if you're consuming those macro numbers. That will be why you aren't losing weight.

but how can that be when i work out my cals from the packaging of my foods and it hits that range ? ,,, i recently changed to these macros my previous i have wrote down were 170 protein , 140 carbs , 30 fats but i was told on here by someone that this wouldnt work because i was starving myself :/ , i might sound stupid i just keep getting conflicting info

layarph
10-18-2012, 05:31 AM
You're getting confusing.

Do you read the cals on the pack?
Do you read the macros on the pack?
Or do you just do one of these things?

And finally, I'll tell you how you should really eat your cals and macros as opposed to how you have been.

1.) Calculate cutting allowance: Done - 2200-2500 cals
2.) Calculate minimum protein: 1g per pound of lean body mass. For you I'd guess around 200g at most
3.) Calculate minimum fat: 0.45g per pound of total body mass. For you it's 112.5g
4.) Calculate what those come to in cals: 1812 cals.
5.) Fill remaining cal space with whatever macro/s you wish: 2500-1812 = 688 cals for whatever macro/s you want.

Done!

With that you get the protein and fat you need, and you won't be going above your cal allowance!!

You will lose weight. You have definitely been calculating your food wrong, I can tell by your response.

Why don't you use the macros and cals I have just done for you?

That is what you're supposed to do. You don't have to perfectly fit each macro so it matches your cal allowance perfectly, because there is the risk of exactly what you've done: going wrong with either the macros or cals, and actually eating too much.

bacon90
10-18-2012, 05:35 AM
You're getting confusing.

Do you read the cals on the pack?
Do you read the macros on the pack?
Or do you just do one of these things?

And finally, I'll tell you how you should really eat your cals and macros as opposed to how you have been.

1.) Calculate cutting allowance: Done - 2200-2500 cals
2.) Calculate minimum protein: 1g per pound of lean body mass. For you I'd guess around 200g at most
3.) Calculate minimum fat: 0.45g per pound of total body mass. For you it's 112.5g
4.) Calculate what those come to in cals: 1812 cals.
5.) Fill remaining cal space with whatever macro/s you wish: 2500-1812 = 688 cals for whatever macro/s you want.

Done!

You will lose weight. You have definitely been calculating your food wrong, I can tell by your response.

Why don't you use the macros and cals I have just done for you?

That is what you're supposed to do. You don't have to perfectly fit each macro so it matches your cal allowance perfectly, because there is the risk of exactly what you've done: going wrong with either the macros or cals, and actually eating too much.

i look at both on the pack but i think were iv been going very wrong is people told me to do 1g of protein per lb of totall body mass not lean body mass , iv got 1 more leg day tomoro my foods already prepd so ill have the weekend preparing food and start what youve told me on monday , thanks alot for the help bro

just to verify because i dont want to be in this situation again , if i stick to 200g protein (this is correct my bf is 25% so my lean mass is just over 200lb) and 112.5g fats , this means iv got around 650 kcal leftover which i can eat pretty much anything , so say for instance a micro lasagne has 300 kcal i could eat 2 of these along with a 50 kcal chocolate bar , is this correct ?

layarph
10-18-2012, 05:41 AM
i look at both on the pack but i think were iv been going very wrong is people told me to do 1g of protein per lb of totall body mass not lean body mass , iv got 1 more leg day tomoro my foods already prepd so ill have the weekend preparing food and start what youve told me on monday , thanks alot for the help bro

Also, your fats didn't need to be as high. So you were trying to match the cals of the macros perfectly to hit your cal allowance if that makes sense, and what I think you ended up doing is just counting the macros because you assumed their cal amount would be correct, when in fact those macros equated to the cals for your maintenance level!

So do exactly as I've said, and if you measure all that perfectly, you will lose weight, fact! It's also much easier to track hitting your protein and fat minimums and then filling the rest of your cal space with whatever you want.

Use myfitnesspal to track as well.

bacon90
10-18-2012, 05:44 AM
Also, your fats didn't need to be as high. So you were trying to match the cals of the macros perfectly to hit your cal allowance if that makes sense, and what I think you ended up doing is just counting the macros because you assumed their cal amount would be correct, when in fact those macros equated to the cals for your maintenance level!

So do exactly as I've said, and if you measure all that perfectly, you will lose weight, fact! It's also much easier to track hitting your protein and fat minimums and then filling the rest of your cal space with whatever you want.

Use myfitnesspal to track as well.

once again thanks alot , ill definately give it a go , if anything is sounds alot easier to stick to aswell because ill fill my 3 main meals with the proteins fats and low carbs and leave myself some calories for snacks

layarph
10-18-2012, 05:47 AM
once again thanks alot , ill definately give it a go , if anything is sounds alot easier to stick to aswell because ill fill my 3 main meals with the proteins fats and low carbs and leave myself some calories for snacks

yes but remember, you only have around 600 cals once you've hit your protein and fat minimums, so keep on track. Don't forget the carbs you have with meals throughout the day, it may not leave as much wiggle room for snacks as you like.

If you want more wiggle room for snacks, my guess is you could reduce your protein intake to around 160-180 fotr the time being. It's just when cutting, people play it safe by adding more protein because you are more prone to losing muscle when at a caloric deficit. But if fat loss if your main goal for now, you could get away with 150-180g protein IMO. But if you choose to do this, recalculate my above calculations with this point!

Juts practice with it for a week or so, and you'll find where to fit your carbs and snacks. It's practice, like anything else.

bacon90
10-18-2012, 05:59 AM
yes but remember, you only have around 600 cals once you've hit your protein and fat minimums, so keep on track. Don't forget the carbs you have with meals throughout the day, it may not leave as much wiggle room for snacks as you like.

If you want more wiggle room for snacks, my guess is you could reduce your protein intake to around 160-180 fotr the time being. It's just when cutting, people play it safe by adding more protein because you are more prone to losing muscle when at a caloric deficit. But if fat loss if your main goal for now, you could get away with 150-180g protein IMO. [B]But if you choose to do this, recalculate my above calculations with this point![/

Juts practice with it for a week or so, and you'll find where to fit your carbs and snacks. It's practice, like anything else.

yeh ill definately stay on track , i dont think i lose too much muscle mass when dieting , i seem to gain muscle like wildfire lol , i few years ago before i decided to do everything by the book i was consuming 1800 calories , wasnt tracking my macros though but i was still getting stronger and my muscles were growing , very slowly but im gonna keep up heavy intense workouts while im cutting so hopefully not a problem with that , ill prepare my meals the day before , ill cook my protein for each meal first and make sure im hitting that then ill fit my carbs into my calories and mark down how much i have remaining after my main meals and just stick within that when i do snack

layarph
10-18-2012, 06:04 AM
yeh ill definately stay on track , i dont think i lose too much muscle mass when dieting , i seem to gain muscle like wildfire lol , i few years ago before i decided to do everything by the book i was consuming 1800 calories , wasnt tracking my macros though but i was still getting stronger and my muscles were growing , very slowly but im gonna keep up heavy intense workouts while im cutting so hopefully not a problem with that , ill prepare my meals the day before , ill cook my protein for each meal first and make sure im hitting that then ill fit my carbs into my calories and mark down how much i have remaining after my main meals and just stick within that when i do snack

Good, don't forget fat though. That plan will work fine.

mjdieth
10-18-2012, 06:07 AM
ITT OP will end up adding all Protein and Fat while ignoring carbs and then eating them all over again at the end of the day.

layarph
10-18-2012, 06:10 AM
ITT OP will end up adding all Protein and Fat while ignoring carbs and then eating them all over again at the end of the day.

WTF does this mean? I can't make any sense out of this. he will eat protein and fats and then eat protein and fats again at the end of the day? Are you drunk?

bacon90
10-18-2012, 06:14 AM
WTF does this mean? I can't make any sense out of this. he will eat protein and fats and then eat protein and fats again at the end of the day? Are you drunk?

i think he means ill stick to just filling that 650 remaining allowance with protein and fat then end up going over trying to get carbs lol but i wont each meal i eat had protein fat and carbs in it , i wont eat any other way than that

layarph
10-18-2012, 06:18 AM
i think he means ill stick to just filling that 650 remaining allowance with protein and fat then end up going over trying to get carbs lol but i wont each meal i eat had protein fat and carbs in it , i wont eat any other way than that

Ah I see. That makes sense, apologies. I was worried about this point, but I assumed you weren't that stupid. Good luck!

bacon90
10-18-2012, 06:19 AM
Ah I see. That makes sense, apologies. I was worried about this point, but I assumed you weren't that stupid. Good luck!

nah im not quite that uneducated lol , cheers bro

Makween
10-18-2012, 06:37 AM
It's good that the OP's issue appears to have been sorted out.

OP, just to add to what layarph has already said: it looks from what your original problem was like you may not have known/understood this, so:

1g protein = 4 kcal
1g carbs = 4kcal
1g fat = 9 kcal

Bear these figures in mind if ever you need to recalculate in future, and once you've done your calculations make sure that the macros you've chosen add up to the right amount of calories.

layarph
10-18-2012, 06:47 AM
It's good that the OP's issue appears to have been sorted out.

OP, just to add to what layarph has already said: it looks from what your original problem was like you may not have known/understood this, so:

1g protein = 4 kcal
1g carbs = 4kcal
1g fat = 9 kcal

Bear these figures in mind if ever you need to recalculate in future, and once you've done your calculations make sure that the macros you've chosen add up to the right amount of calories.

If you mean, OP should make sure that he has used the protein, carbs and fat cals correctly, then yes.

But don't give OP the impression that I've taken him away from, which is that his macro numbers have to split up and match his cals, because they don't. I don't mean he shouldn't hit his cals, because that's rule no.1. What I mean is ....

IE if he has to hit 2500 cals, he doesn't have to hit split up his macros in a manner in which they match 2500 cals.

He only has to hit his protein and fats, then the remaining cals can be fitted with anything he wants until he reaches that 2500.

I think we should leave it here, because I fear we're at the risk of further confusion.

Makween
10-18-2012, 06:50 AM
If you mean, OP should make sure that he has used the protein, carbs and fat cals correctly, then yes.

But don't give OP the impression that I've taken him away from, which is that his macro numbers have to match his cals, because they don't
IE if he has to hit 2500 cals, he doesn't have to hit split up his macros in a manner in which they match 2500 cals.

He only has to hit his protein and fats, then the remaining cals can be fitted with anything he wants until he reaches that 2500.

I think we should leave it here, because I fear we're at the risk of further confusion.

I see what you mean, and leaving it here's going to be easy because I totally agree anyway! I just thought it was worth saying how to ensure that macros add up to calories, not that he should have some preset figure that he HAS HAS HAS to hit or everything's ****ed up and it becomes a 'cheat day'.

shogun1991
10-18-2012, 07:09 AM
if your simply asking 'is this meal ok/healthy/good for muscle growth' then yes it is. some people still think that using oil to cook with is going to raise your body fat when that's just not true.

MNTiburon
10-18-2012, 09:15 AM
heres the thing , for the past 10 month ive been trying to shed fat , ive been on a constant diet , for the first 7 - 8 month there was no change in my body composition or weight , so i seeked help on here i got the info i needed about working out my maintenance , my BMR , calory defecit and macros and i done it all , i count my calories and macros and write them down everyday from everything i consume , im on a 20% defecit and im hitting just under my macros of 270g protein 270g carbs and 135g of fats , yet even tho im doing all this plus 2 hours of cardio per week and 4 hours of lifting per week im gaining weight and getting fatter ! , iv gained 6 lb in 3 weeks on a diet that iv done by using all the "count macros and calories" info ive had from here yet every time i ask someone about it i get told im doing something wrong or im stupid or i dont know what im doing , i dont care if its a scientific biological fact or whatever i go by experience and at the moment im on the verge of forgetting it all and just living the unhealthy lifestyle i used to and not caring about my health or wellbeing so when im asking for an opinion on something the last thing i want to hear is the same stuff that got me in this position in the first place !

Have you ever had your thyroid checked? My mom used to be overweight and couldn't lose weight even by reducing calorie intake. Turned out she had a thyroid condition so she takes medication for it now. She dropped a ton of weight and became a competitive marathon runner.

bacon90
10-18-2012, 09:36 AM
Have you ever had your thyroid checked? My mom used to be overweight and couldn't lose weight even by reducing calorie intake. Turned out she had a thyroid condition so she takes medication for it now. She dropped a ton of weight and became a competitive marathon runner.

thanks ill try the diet and if that dont work ill make an appointment with my GP

bacon90
10-18-2012, 09:37 AM
if your simply asking 'is this meal ok/healthy/good for muscle growth' then yes it is. some people still think that using oil to cook with is going to raise your body fat when that's just not true.

this is exactly what i ment thanks , although im glad that i got the other info also , but yeh this is initially what i wanted , i always cook with olive oil , i used to cook everything on a grill with no oil but realised my fat intake was really low , its much easier to get fat by cooking with it

sarumanshand
10-18-2012, 11:38 AM
Looks darn solid to me. I might have to try it out. Seems filling, too.

bacon90
10-21-2012, 03:36 AM
i know its been a while since i spoke on this but i just want to double check some stuff , the plan was to shoot for 2200 kcal using 200g of protein , 112.5g of fats and 650kcal with any mixture , iv just planned my meals for tomorow using this and it stands at 198.7g protein (794.8kcal) , 84.3g fats (758.7kcal) and 108.2g of carbs (432.8kcal) which which means iv pretty much hit my protein , just under on fats and have another 300 kcal roughly to spare , i was thinking maybe a bag of roast peanuts which is 287kcal and 23g of fat putting me more or less up to my fat levels , slightly over on protein and slightly under my calories , does this sound ok ?

layarph
10-21-2012, 03:56 AM
i know its been a while since i spoke on this but i just want to double check some stuff , the plan was to shoot for 2200 kcal using 200g of protein , 112.5g of fats and 650kcal with any mixture , iv just planned my meals for tomorow using this and it stands at 198.7g protein (794.8kcal) , 84.3g fats (758.7kcal) and 108.2g of carbs (432.8kcal) which which means iv pretty much hit my protein , just under on fats and have another 300 kcal roughly to spare , i was thinking maybe a bag of roast peanuts which is 287kcal and 23g of fat putting me more or less up to my fat levels , slightly over on protein and slightly under my calories , does this sound ok ?

Yeah that's fine.

bacon90
10-21-2012, 04:41 AM
Yeah that's fine.

cheers bud