PDA

View Full Version : "One liter of chocolate milk per day is a bad choice for someone in bulk"

Mrpb
10-11-2012, 10:19 AM
I was having a discussion with a friend of mine about someone else who drinks 34 oz (1 liter) of chocolate milk per day. He is in a bulk and it fits his macros. He likes to drink it. The rest of his diet is sufficient in micro nutrients. He handles lactose fine.

34 OZ chocolate milk
kcal: 680
protein: 34 grams
carbs: 112 grams
fat: 13 grams

My friend says it's a bad choice. I say as long as it fits his macros it's fine. Who's right?

Thanks in advance.

WonderPug
10-11-2012, 10:21 AM
My friend says it's a bad choice. I say as long as it fits his macros it's fine. Who's right?He's right because it's his bulk and he gets to select the foods that he enjoys to consume. If he were to tell you not to consume chocolate milk, then he would be wrong.

Mrpb
10-11-2012, 10:22 AM
He's right because it's his bulk and he gets to select the foods that he enjoys to consume.

I probably didn't explain it clear: we're talking about a third person. So my question is to evaluate the statement:

"One liter of chocolate milk per day is a bad choice for someone in bulk"

ThousandEyes
10-11-2012, 10:23 AM
Yes and no does this third person want to consume 1 liter of chocolate milk?

Mrpb
10-11-2012, 10:25 AM
Yes and no does this third person want to consume 1 liter of chocolate milk?

My question is to say whether this is true or not: "One liter of chocolate milk per day is a bad choice for someone in bulk"

JasonDB
10-11-2012, 10:26 AM
I probably didn't explain it clear: we're talking about a third person. Not about him.

We need to know that person's perspect the person is actually bulking.

1) Does he like chocolate milk and actually want to drink it on his bulk?
2) Is he able to drink this while still hitting his macros perfectly for the day?
3) Is he eating enough foods of different types to reach micronutrient sufficiency?
4) Can he digest milk properly? Meaning he isn't lactose intolerant nor does he have a milk allergy.

If the answer to all three is yes, he is good to go, if the answer to any is no we might have an issue here.

WonderPug
10-11-2012, 10:27 AM
My question is to say whether this is true or not: "One liter of chocolate milk per day is a bad choice for someone in bulk"As it's a function of personal preference and tolerance, there is no universal yes or no answer.

EDIT: In after Jason, who expressed the concepts much better than I did.

Mrpb
10-11-2012, 10:27 AM
We need to know that person's perspect the person is actually bulking.

1) Does he like chocolate milk and actually want to drink it on his bulk?
2) Is he able to drink this while still hitting his macros perfectly for the day?
3) Is he eating enough foods of different types to reach micronutrient sufficiency?
4) Can he digest milk properly? Meaning he isn't lactose intolerant nor does he have a milk allergy.

If the answer to all three is yes, he is good to go, if the answer to any is no we might have an issue here.

1 yes
2 yes
3 yes
4 yes

Thanks for your answer.

JasonDB
10-11-2012, 10:30 AM
1 yes
2 yes
3 yes
4 yes

Thanks for your answer.

In that case I have to vote that it is a fine food choice. So will vote now.

WonderPug
10-11-2012, 10:35 AM
1 yes
2 yes
3 yes
4 yesGiven the clarification, it's a perfectly acceptable source of calories, which will be reflected in my vote.

PBateman2
10-11-2012, 10:36 AM
Nectar of the gods....

JasonDB
10-11-2012, 10:37 AM
As it's a function of personal preference and tolerance, there is no universal yes or no answer.

EDIT: In after Jason, who expressed the concepts much better than I did.

Don't worry the thread will get interesting soon... someone will come in and argue about cancer or diabetus and how terrible either the milk and/or the chocolate is for him/you/everyone.

Nectar of the gods....

Zues has spoken.

Meadey
10-11-2012, 10:46 AM
TBH those are some dahm good macros. Drink/eat whatever you want, even moreso on your bulk because you have loadssssssssss of calories to eat.

Mrpb
10-11-2012, 10:51 PM
Would the ~ 100 gram sugar be any problem for someone working out?

JasonDB
10-11-2012, 10:59 PM
Would the ~ 100 gram sugar be any problem for someone working out?

One of my pet peeves is when someone uses the word "sugar" when trying to discuss potential negatives. I'm not aware of even the kookiest doctors putting books out, other than the late Dr Adkins, attempting to demonize sugar as an entire category, but rather only specific subtypes. As were talking nutrition say what you mean specifically because the lactose in the milk is structurally very different from whatever glucose-fructose mix that will be in the chocolate syrup. You cannot just lump them all together under sugar when discussing potential negatives unless you just want to use the word "carbs" and just assume all carbs are bad.

TheNaturalEdge
10-11-2012, 11:56 PM
I like chocolate milk.

Stephen109
10-12-2012, 12:10 AM
I'd paint the toilet walls brown while breathing through chronic severe stomach pains if I drank 1L of chocolate milk. My lactose intolerance is pretty forgiving but chocolate milk sets it off like theres no tomorrow.

LSXdr
10-12-2012, 12:14 AM
I drink 32 OZ almost everyday! I better listen to your friend, I bet he wins all his shows and is shredded! I'm doing it wrong bro!

Mrpb
10-12-2012, 07:50 AM
One of my pet peeves is when someone uses the word "sugar" when trying to discuss potential negatives. I'm not aware of even the kookiest doctors putting books out, other than the late Dr Adkins, attempting to demonize sugar as an entire category, but rather only specific subtypes. As were talking nutrition say what you mean specifically because the lactose in the milk is structurally very different from whatever glucose-fructose mix that will be in the chocolate syrup. You cannot just lump them all together under sugar when discussing potential negatives unless you just want to use the word "carbs" and just assume all carbs are bad.

OK. Let's assume it's the same chocolate milk that Alan Aragon discusses here:
"chocolate milk has an even mix of sucrose (in the form of either sucrose or high-fructose corn syrup) and lactose"
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/an-objective-comparison-of-chocolate-milk-and-surge-recovery.html

From Alan's article it becomes clear that 0.5 liter post work out seems to have favorable effects.

What if one drinks twice as much (1 liter) and not just post work out?

Geoloop
10-12-2012, 08:02 AM
Unless you a cat or dog, or have lactose intolerance, i don't see the problem...

JasonDB
10-12-2012, 08:03 AM
OK. Let's assume it's the same chocolate milk that Alan Aragon discusses here:
"chocolate milk has an even mix of sucrose (in the form of either sucrose or high-fructose corn syrup) and lactose"
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/an-objective-comparison-of-chocolate-milk-and-surge-recovery.html

From Alan's article it becomes clear that 0.5 liter post work out seems to have favorable effects.

What if one drinks twice as much (1 liter) and not just post work out?

In this case only 25% of that sugar is a sugar associated with metabolic or health issues. However those issues do not appear even for sedentary individuals until 50g+ a day are reached chronically. 25% of 100g is 25g. 25g<50g. I'm not seeing a problem, however that is looking at it in isolation and not in the context of his entire diet.

Mrpb
10-12-2012, 08:57 AM
In this case only 25% of that sugar is a sugar associated with metabolic or health issues. However those issues do not appear even for sedentary individuals until 50g+ a day are reached chronically. 25% of 100g is 25g. 25g<50g. I'm not seeing a problem, however that is looking at it in isolation and not in the context of his entire diet.

I'm not completely following the "only 25% of that sugar is a sugar associated with metabolic or health issues".

An even mix of sucrose and lactose would mean 56 gram lactose and 56 gram sucrose in 1 liter chocolate milk. Why is only 25% associated with problems?

So you're saying more than 50 grams of sucrose can become a problem for sedentary individuals? Where do these numbers come from?

thanks.

JasonDB
10-12-2012, 09:01 AM
I'm not completely following the "only 25% of that sugar is a sugar associated with metabolic or health issues".

An even mix of sucrose and lactose would mean 56 gram lactose and 56 gram sucrose in 1 liter chocolate milk. Why is only 25% associated with problems?

So you're saying more than 50 grams of sucrose can become a problem for sedentary individuals? Where do these numbers come from?

thanks.

Sucrose is only 50% fructose so change that 50g to 25g. We have dozens of threads up in this subforum debating, debunking and discussing research on fructose. Alan has some pieces on it also. There have been 20 page debates on the subject here.

EjnarKolinkar
10-12-2012, 10:41 AM
I like chocolate milk.

This sums it up for me. Apologies to beef allergy crew, allergies suck. Luckily mine exclude beef products.

yieldtonothing
10-12-2012, 11:27 AM
milk is only a bad choice if its SO HOT

Mrpb
11-05-2012, 11:09 PM
Bump for more votes.