PDA

View Full Version : Microwaves effect on proteins?

MrBrosephStalin
10-05-2012, 02:54 PM
I am making this thread for a friend (yes, actually a friend and not me) who told me that it is a fact that proteins get destroyed from being in the microwave for several minutes or longer and he says he is 100% certain on this issue. He said it was related to radiation or some ****. I don't know anything on this subject and find it hard to believe but I told him I would make this thread to find the answer so any science backed answer would be great! Thanks.

rowza
10-05-2012, 04:13 PM
Dont know scientific reasons but No it don't

nobrah
10-06-2012, 05:01 AM
I don't know anything on this subject and find it hard to believe

It's true to an extent, but more fear mongering about microwaves than actual truth. ;) The reality is that proteins are denatured by any cooking method, or more specifically, any kind of heat. But that's kind of a non-issue issue given that proteins are also denatured by your stomach acids.

Microwaves are no different than other cooking methods in that cooking for too long will produce an inedible mess, and that's the point where you can honestly say that the protein has been "destroyed". But since you wouldn't eat it anyway (we're talking the equivalent of a charcoal briquette when grilling a burger), it's still a non-issue.

MrBrosephStalin
10-06-2012, 11:05 AM
It's true to an extent, but more fear mongering about microwaves than actual truth. ;) The reality is that proteins are denatured by any cooking method, or more specifically, any kind of heat. But that's kind of a non-issue issue given that proteins are also denatured by your stomach acids.

Microwaves are no different than other cooking methods in that cooking for too long will produce an inedible mess, and that's the point where you can honestly say that the protein has been "destroyed". But since you wouldn't eat it anyway (we're talking the equivalent of a charcoal briquette when grilling a burger), it's still a non-issue.
Nice answer thanks brah!