PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain high carb/low fat vs. mod/mod vs. low/high?

ArcReactor
09-27-2012, 04:55 PM
I am trying to understand the roles of dietary fat and carbs, really, and why people choose various combinations based on certain goals.

lee__d
09-27-2012, 05:00 PM
Most people follow the latest fad. If you want real information take about 20minutes and read about:::

Diets:
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/comparing-the-diets-part-1.html
all parts

Macros:
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/a-primer-on-dietary-carbohydrates-part-1.html
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/a-primer-on-dietary-fats-part-1.html
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/what-are-good-sources-of-protein-introduction.html

ArcReactor
09-27-2012, 06:58 PM
Thanks.

So if I am overweight, is it better for me to err on the side of eating fewer carbs in favor of fats, and the other way around when I am fit?

sharpieblet
09-27-2012, 07:02 PM
Thanks.

So if I am overweight, is it better for me to err on the side of eating fewer carbs in favor of fats, and the other way around when I am fit?

you're complicating it...just eat in a caloric deficit with high protein and fill the rest with carbs and fats as you wish. if you're in a deficit, you will lose weight. just be sensible and try to remember to get a good bit of vegetables and lean protein sources throughout the week.

ArcReactor
09-27-2012, 07:08 PM
So the distribution of fats and carbs have no effect on body distribution or how I will look/respond in the gym with respect to weights?

Serpentarius
09-27-2012, 07:11 PM
So the distribution of fats and carbs have no effect on body distribution or how I will look/respond in the gym with respect to weights?

technically no if you have a decent diet. I aim for around 50% of my calories from carbs because i feel sluggish if i dont have a LOT of carbs throughout the day. High fat diets improve sex drive and testosterone production, along with other organ functions. If you do not get enough protein and fat you will *probably* have diminished performance at the gym. You do not need carbs to live, but you do need protein and fats.
1g per lb of lbm, .45g of fat per lb of lbm, the rest whatever and you are fine, guaranteed.

ArcReactor
09-27-2012, 07:14 PM
technically no if you have a decent diet. I aim for around 50% of my calories from carbs because i feel sluggish if i dont have a LOT of carbs throughout the day. High fat diets improve sex drive and testosterone production, along with other organ functions. If you do not get enough protein and fat you will *probably* have diminished performance at the gym. You do not need carbs to live, but you do need protein and fats.
1g per lb of lbm, .45g of fat per lb of lbm, the rest whatever and you are fine, guaranteed.

Interesting -- thanks much!

sharpieblet
09-27-2012, 07:33 PM

pretty much won't have an affect of body composition until you start getting to realllly lean states, but they certainly CAN influence gym performance at any body fat levels. it's up to you to find the balance of fats/carbs for gym performance while still getting satiety.

ArcReactor
09-27-2012, 07:57 PM
Any supplements worth taking?

Fish oil a good one? How many mg/day?

What might you consider good foods to include in a well-balanced diet? That's the part I have the most trouble with

Serpentarius
09-27-2012, 08:01 PM
3000mg, 3 capsules, if you eat fish you wont need it though.
Multivitamin if you dont eat fruits or veggies.
Whey isnt a supplement, its just food, but its nice to have on hand, thats really all you need.

sharpieblet
09-27-2012, 08:07 PM
Any supplements worth taking?

Fish oil a good one? How many mg/day?

What might you consider good foods to include in a well-balanced diet? That's the part I have the most trouble with

fish oil, multi vitamin, creatine monohydrate.

out of those, however, i only take creatine. i get vegetables every day so i feel i'm getting a good bit of micros from those, though i should certainly eat more fruit.

as far as foods for a balanced diet, just use common sense really. lean meats, veggies, fruits, dairy...can't be hard to get a bit of all those every day.

ArcReactor
09-27-2012, 08:12 PM
fish oil, multi vitamin, creatine monohydrate.

out of those, however, i only take creatine. i get vegetables every day so i feel i'm getting a good bit of micros from those, though i should certainly eat more fruit.

as far as foods for a balanced diet, just use common sense really. lean meats, veggies, fruits, dairy...can't be hard to get a bit of all those every day.

How does creatine monohydrate help out? I always associated that with people who bulk... is it useful at all for a cut?

For me it is hard to "get a bit of all those" because I am so used to eating crap and choosing poorly. What is a typical day for you if I may ask?

sharpieblet
09-27-2012, 08:39 PM
How does creatine monohydrate help out? I always associated that with people who bulk... is it useful at all for a cut?

For me it is hard to "get a bit of all those" because I am so used to eating crap and choosing poorly. What is a typical day for you if I may ask?

creatine is strictly for getting the most out of your lifts and pushing that extra rep, as well as helping with muscle recovery. it has nothing to do with gaining or losing weight. it has everything to do with preserving muscle-which is most important when cutting. 5g a day, every day, that's all there is to it. anyone who tells you to avoid it does not know what they're talking about.

as far as typical day for ME...most days are a handful of 90 calorie bars, chicken and veggies in oriental sauce for dinner, bag of popcorn, and then having a mcdouble or mcchicken as well as a hershey's bar. if i'm not working, then i usually don't have the candy bar and burger...but regardless, i'm always in a deficit unless i've planned a cheat. usually 2x a week i'll fast all day and only eat a 90 calorie bar and then a digiorno pizza, which is about 1900 cals itself. and i still stay in a deficit.

this next weekend coming up i'm hitting a place called Mike's Farm for all you can eat style country food...only it's made fresh and brought to your table. then hitting the county fair after that. so it's likely to be a cheat evening...which is fine, it'll be my first one in a month.

ArcReactor
09-27-2012, 08:53 PM
creatine is strictly for getting the most out of your lifts and pushing that extra rep, as well as helping with muscle recovery. it has nothing to do with gaining or losing weight. it has everything to do with preserving muscle-which is most important when cutting. 5g a day, every day, that's all there is to it. anyone who tells you to avoid it does not know what they're talking about.

as far as typical day for ME...most days are a handful of 90 calorie bars, chicken and veggies in oriental sauce for dinner, bag of popcorn, and then having a mcdouble or mcchicken as well as a hershey's bar. if i'm not working, then i usually don't have the candy bar and burger...but regardless, i'm always in a deficit unless i've planned a cheat. usually 2x a week i'll fast all day and only eat a 90 calorie bar and then a digiorno pizza, which is about 1900 cals itself. and i still stay in a deficit.

this next weekend coming up i'm hitting a place called Mike's Farm for all you can eat style country food...only it's made fresh and brought to your table. then hitting the county fair after that. so it's likely to be a cheat evening...which is fine, it'll be my first one in a month.

What brand of creatine do you use? Is it something you take in the morning or does timing not matter?

Also country food = incredibly tasty XD

sharpieblet
09-27-2012, 09:12 PM
What brand of creatine do you use? Is it something you take in the morning or does timing not matter?

Also country food = incredibly tasty XD

the place is a big ass farm, have special fall and christmas themed hay rides too...and best of all, freakin' petting zoo.

i use gnc creatine mono. bb.com usually has good deals on it. i was able to buy 2 500g tubs for like 18 bucks shipped last time, and that'll last a long good while