PDA

View Full Version : Question to IIFYM'ers

XaLeX9
09-20-2012, 03:17 PM
A quick thing that popped into my mind: since I've started following IIFYM (months ago) two major things have happened:
-I have lost my entrained eating habits, meaning that I often no longer have "breakfast", "lunch", etc, but it's not unusual for random meals to happen during the day
-I seem to be relying more and more on whatever counting software I use.

Now I know IIFYM is great because it allows you to change anything and still go towards your objective, but what if I wanted to take a step back and get an habit-ized way of eating, some "staple" meals, still being able to allow for some change if it happens? I know most of you do have staple meals and don't seem to fuss over counting so much, so I'm clearly doing something wrong.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance :)

k9pit
09-20-2012, 03:51 PM
Pretty much to me and how I go about it, you seem like you're on the right track. I go by the 80/20 rule. But even that is somewhat of a blur. I don't like to go crazy on sodium and sugars (personal preference) so that mindset forces me into things like steak, fish, and chicken being a typical dinner with sides of yams, plantains, and veggies.

I'll work in some crab, shrimp, lobster, homemade burger, or whatever else as well and these foods will have just about the same profile as chicken and steak (high protein). I'll throw cheese on stuff, or whatever if it fits into my macros but as you pointed out like you I rely a lot on calorie/macro counting software.

I find myself snacking less because I don't like eating BS calories that aren't going to make me feel "sustained" if you get what I'm saying. This line of thinking has also gotten me away from things like protein bars and shakes and I'll only do a shake now if I need to reach my protein macro intake at the end of the day.

Every now and again, I'll throw caution to the wind, mess up the macros, and eat sushi rolls, chick fil a, or pizza and other high sodium things and deal with the fluctuation and bloat. But still I don't go over the calorie budget by a significant degree (unless it's a planned cheat). This (carb up) usually makes for a great lifting session the next day so I don't sweat it too much.

Again it's 80/20. 80% of "habit-ize" staple foods like my turkey burger I usually eat after lifting, steak/chicken dinner with typical carb sources. 20% whatever that floats around day by day like I may want to carb up and eat some Cereal or another day may want to increase fats and eat an omelet with cheese. It works, while still being about to reach my physique goals.

NQuaday
09-20-2012, 05:56 PM
Follow almost the exact same mentality surrounding my diet ^^^

StephSkywalker
09-20-2012, 07:58 PM
Pretty much to me and how I go about it, you seem like you're on the right track. I go by the 80/20 rule. But even that is somewhat of a blur. I don't like to go crazy on sodium and sugars (personal preference) so that mindset forces me into things like steak, fish, and chicken being a typical dinner with sides of yams, plantains, and veggies.

I'll work in some crab, shrimp, lobster, homemade burger, or whatever else as well and these foods will have just about the same profile as chicken and steak (high protein). I'll throw cheese on stuff, or whatever if it fits into my macros but as you pointed out like you I rely a lot on calorie/macro counting software.

I find myself snacking less because I don't like eating BS calories that aren't going to make me feel "sustained" if you get what I'm saying. This line of thinking has also gotten me away from things like protein bars and shakes and I'll only do a shake now if I need to reach my protein macro intake at the end of the day.

Every now and again, I'll throw caution to the wind, mess up the macros, and eat sushi rolls, chick fil a, or pizza and other high sodium things and deal with the fluctuation and bloat. But still I don't go over the calorie budget by a significant degree (unless it's a planned cheat). This (carb up) usually makes for a great lifting session the next day so I don't sweat it too much.

Again it's 80/20. 80% of "habit-ize" staple foods like my turkey burger I usually eat after lifting, steak/chicken dinner with typical carb sources. 20% whatever that floats around day by day like I may want to carb up and eat some Cereal or another day may want to increase fats and eat an omelet with cheese. It works, while still being about to reach my physique goals.

Strong this.. Describes me almost exactly..

BWC101
09-20-2012, 10:48 PM

Excellent post- this is what I have been trying to say in regards to IIFYM and been arguing with retards for a long time.

This is what IIFYM really is to me.

XaLeX9
09-21-2012, 12:25 AM
Seems like I was a bit desperate while actually not being completely wrong. It is ok to "rely" on some counting software, what I need is to build some habits, some staple meals, in order to make it less of a hassle and more "normal" overall.

Thanks to everybody, reps coming ASAP :)

P.S. any more advice/experiences would be greatly appreciated. I know I sound strange, but perhaps what I need is to read about how different people have integrated IIFYM into their eating habits. Even things that might seem stupid or "common sense" might be of great help to me :)

k9pit
09-21-2012, 12:53 PM
Seems like I was a bit desperate while actually not being completely wrong. It is ok to "rely" on some counting software, what I need is to build some habits, some staple meals, in order to make it less of a hassle and more "normal" overall.

It'll come with time. I relied on the counting software moreso in the beginning to determine which food choices to make (before eating). Nowadays, through the repetition of logging so much, I've memorized what many foods are and I rely on it more now for tracking in retrospect (after eating). This is unless I want to eat something like some fast food from a place I've never been. The more you do it, the more things will likely become habitized including meal choices.

Just go with the flow in the beginning, play around with logging things before you eat, mix and match plugging in values. Logging things up front is what started me in developing habits of what to eat.

Just some tips from experience.....
It was easier in the beginning for me to eat more carbs (and less fat) earlier in the day, workout, and more fat (and protein) toward the end of the day because fats blow up the overall calorie counts quicker. I didn't want to put myself "in the hole" too early in the day so to speak.

After a month of doing it you'll likely be thinking like "hmm, I'll eat 3/4 cup of oatmeal and banana before working out, that'll be 75g carbs, 7g protein, 5g fat" blah blah...get used to doing that for 2 weeks then look at macro counts for different foods and say "I'll eat 3 pancakes and a few strawberries instead" which have about the same macro setup......you'll be developing your staple breakfast habits (and food choice variations) which fits the macro setup you'll looking for. Again, give it some time and it'll will likely all fall into place.

StephSkywalker
09-21-2012, 01:40 PM
is unless I want to eat something like some fast food from a place I've never been.

This became a issue for me early on.. I had a mentality if I couldnt count it, then I wasnt eating it.. Which cut out a lot of restaurants, or even family dinners.. But over the last few months, I learned to just estimate but still log it.. overestimate values if I have to, or just not log at all..

XaLeX9
09-21-2012, 02:30 PM
.Why, why can't I rep you? I should stick your posts to the fridge, seriously.

Somehow even though I've been following IIFYM for quite a while, I still haven't habitized much (only breakfast, to be honest). I do remember the nutritional values of nearly everything i have in my house, I only need to work some more to get some habitized combos.

Anyway now I know that there's still some improvement to be made and that it will indeed happen, and that I'm not doing something (terribly) wrong. Thanks a lot :)

XaLeX9
09-23-2012, 11:04 AM
Hey guys, everything is going great! Thanks again ;)

A quick question regarding the nitty-gritty of counting: I'm currently slowly raising my kcals (currently at 2600), but sometimes I still find myself hungry so I instinctually sub something like 2 wasa slices for an apple, or get more vegs at the next meal, things like that.
The point is, at the end of the day, especially if I'm at home and bored, this happens too often. Today I think I got about 3-400kcals from fruit and vegs.
Now, if somebody told me this, I'd tell him, "Mate, what's the problem? That's an healthy diet!". But somehow I feel I'm eating too much of them and should avoid them and prefer starches.

Any advice?

p.s. yeah, I know that "IIFYM it's ok", I'm just asking for common-sense advice :)
p.p.s. I would raise my calories even more, but I've started from ~2000 a week ago and am now already at 2600. I can't believe I'm such a bottomless pit o.O

kenny878
09-23-2012, 12:41 PM
It'll come with time. I relied on the counting software moreso in the beginning to determine which food choices to make (before eating). Nowadays, through the repetition of logging so much, I've memorized what many foods are and I rely on it more now for tracking in retrospect (after eating). This is unless I want to eat something like some fast food from a place I've never been. The more you do it, the more things will likely become habitized including meal choices.

Just go with the flow in the beginning, play around with logging things before you eat, mix and match plugging in values. Logging things up front is what started me in developing habits of what to eat.

Just some tips from experience.....
It was easier in the beginning for me to eat more carbs (and less fat) earlier in the day, workout, and more fat (and protein) toward the end of the day because fats blow up the overall calorie counts quicker. I didn't want to put myself "in the hole" too early in the day so to speak.

After a month of doing it you'll likely be thinking like "hmm, I'll eat 3/4 cup of oatmeal and banana before working out, that'll be 75g carbs, 7g protein, 5g fat" blah blah...get used to doing that for 2 weeks then look at macro counts for different foods and say "I'll eat 3 pancakes and a few strawberries instead" which have about the same macro setup......you'll be developing your staple breakfast habits (and food choice variations) which fits the macro setup you'll looking for. Again, give it some time and it'll will likely all fall into place.

In addition to this. if i know ill probably be going out with friends say to the mall that afternoon and i think i'll end up eating something from the food court i'll get a decent amount of my protein b4 going out so i can allow myself some room for a high carb/fat meal at the food court

XaLeX9
09-24-2012, 06:07 AM
Up :)

I don't know if this is ok or not because I've never had the possibility to see somebody else's exact food intake for a day, but today apart from "dense" food (i.e. meat, starches, eggs...) I'm eating a total of ~300 calories from vegs (a pound of carrots split between lunch and dinner, some wheat bran mixed in my breakfast concoction).

So, is everything fine? Or am I doing it wrong? (Got no way to check by myself: my real life friends don't eat vegs at all, while all my friends on MFP have private diaries, dang! ><)

Everything else is going fine. I got a foolproof lunch and dinner (pasta/rice/carbs + meat/fish + eggs + vegs), a breakfast consisting of a bit of protein and fat plus any carb to get to ~600kcals, and then I split any remaining kcals/macros freely.

vismal
09-24-2012, 08:09 AM
I am extremely reliant on calorie counting software. I do not like eating the same things all the time so my diet is pretty varied. It is just to hard to remember the macros of all the foods/meals I eat. That and MFP is so easy to use from a smart phone I figure why not use it. Like some of you who posted above I used to freak out if I was going to go to a restaurant that didn't list nutrition facts (aka most of them besides national chains). I eventually learned to guesstimate. If I'm cutting I tend to error on the side of overestimating the total calories, if bulking I do the opposite. No reason to get bent out of shape over not having nutrition facts. The FDA allows companies leeway to round on nut facts (quite a bit of leeway actually) so everything is really just guesstimation anyways.