PDA

View Full Version : Weightlifting?

RollTide43
09-18-2012, 09:58 PM
So I plan on starting a plan on losing some of my fat and trying to build some of my muscle.

I plan on doing cardio and building up my stamina (I've stopped consistently running the last couple years), but I also want to work with weights.
The problem is that I don't and won't have access to a gym, so I only have the 5 and 10 lbs pairs of weight in the house. I actively lifted two year ago. I planned on doing push-ups and situps, but I decided I also could you some feedback from more experienced people.

Any ideas on what I could do?

Thanks!

j1akey
09-18-2012, 10:03 PM
Those things are going to help and there are plenty of body weight workouts you can do but those thing are only going to get you so far. If you want to get big and strong then you need access to barbells. Period.

RollTide43
09-18-2012, 10:05 PM
Those things are going to help and there are plenty of body weight workouts you can do but those thing are only going to get you so far. If you want to get big and strong then you need access to barbells. Period.

I don't want to necessarily bulk up and what not, but do you have any recommendations as to how to use those small weights?

trevpimp
09-18-2012, 10:35 PM
I don't want to necessarily bulk up and what not, but do you have any recommendations as to how to use those small weights?

Hold both of the dumbells that you have putting them crossing each other. Like the handles making an "X" so u can grip on them. That's the best for now

Or you can go to the beach and fill up backpacks, bags, gallons, with wet sand so u can lift them.

BloodySalad
09-19-2012, 01:17 AM

So you don't want to be like Arnie?
Well you better not touch weights then. Cos as soon as you do, you're gonna get swolled like a mofo and probably win Mr Olympia.

Dude, do you know how hard it is to "bulk up"? It takes years of blood, sweat and toil to get big and lean. You need to lift weights just to retain what muscle you've got whilst losing fat. Otherwise you may end up looking like what's called "skinny-fat".
Don't worry about "bulking up". Just lift as hard as you can. If you've only got dumbells, run a quick search on Google for a dumbell program. There are plenty out there. Like the other guys say: get hold of a barbell and some heavy weight though - you need to lift heavy to progress and retain that muscle. If you can't afford it, then improvise. Go get a couple of buckets of sand, stick a pole between the handles and lift those - there's no excuse not to lift heavy.

igglesphan
09-19-2012, 05:28 AM
So you don't want to be like Arnie?
Well you better not touch weights then. Cos as soon as you do, you're gonna get swolled like a mofo and probably win Mr Olympia.

Dude, do you know how hard it is to "bulk up"? It takes years of blood, sweat and toil to get big and lean. You need to lift weights just to retain what muscle you've got whilst losing fat. Otherwise you may end up looking like what's called "skinny-fat".
Don't worry about "bulking up". Just lift as hard as you can. If you've only got dumbells, run a quick search on Google for a dumbell program. There are plenty out there. Like the other guys say: get hold of a barbell and some heavy weight though - you need to lift heavy to progress and retain that muscle. If you can't afford it, then improvise. Go get a couple of buckets of sand, stick a pole between the handles and lift those - there's no excuse not to lift heavy.

^^^This right here... if you happen to turn into Mr. Olympia in the next few weeks and don't like the way you look, you can always back off on the lifting. Until then, train as hard as you can.

Riffo
09-19-2012, 05:52 AM
You don't need weights to lose fat. Cardio+a bodyweight circuit. Lookup bodyweight exercises and chose the ones you wanna do.

igglesphan
09-19-2012, 05:56 AM
You don't need weights to lose fat. Cardio+a bodyweight circuit. Lookup bodyweight exercises and chose the ones you wanna do.

You don't need cardio either

RollTide43
09-19-2012, 08:35 AM
Thanks all. Bulk Up was a poor choice of words on my part, I meant to say that I wanted to retain and not lose muscle. I'll try to improvise, but what do you guys consider "heavy?" Would it be like >50% of your max lift or what?

dmacdonal9
09-19-2012, 08:48 AM
Thanks all. Bulk Up was a poor choice of words on my part, I meant to say that I wanted to retain and not lose muscle. I'll try to improvise, but what do you guys consider "heavy?" Would it be like >50% of your max lift or what?

Generally something that you can only do 5-8 reps with.

miligraf
09-19-2012, 08:51 AM
Get some kettlebells, they're cheap at Walmart (CAP brand), you can order online and get them delivered to your door. Get a 45lb and the bundle of 10, 15 and 20lb...I am about to buy my second bundle of 20, 25 and 30lb.