PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Hatton set to return to boxing - Khan vs Hatton surely set to happen

Kadafi25
09-12-2012, 09:27 PM
From the British Broadcasting Corp:

Former two-weight world champion Ricky Hatton is expected to announce his boxing comeback on Friday.
Hatton, 33, has not fought since suffering a second-round knockout by Manny Pacquiao in May 2009.
The Manchester-based former light-welterweight and welterweight champion formally retired last year and now runs his own promotions company.
But he has called a news conference for Friday and says he will make a "major announcement".

Hatton dominated the light-welterweight division and his most notable win at that weight came against IBF champion Kostya Tszyu in 2005.
The following year Hatton defeated Puerto Rican Luis Collazo to take the WBA world welterweight title, and he followed that victory by beating Juan Urango to reclaim his IBF light-welterweight title.
He lost to Floyd Mayweather in 2007 and suffered a comprehensive beating by Pacquiao in his final fight three years ago.
In 2010 Hatton was stripped of his licence to box by the British Boxing Board of Control after allegations of cocaine usage.
Hatton, who frequently ballooned in weight between bouts, has lost three stone this year and is tipped to return to action with a fight in November.

Thoughts?

I think it's a bad move for Ricky tbh. He's got himself in terrific shape again apparently but I don't think he should bother risking his legacy even further. He won all his fights and only lost to the two best P4P fighters in the world at the time.

Having said that, everyone in the UK would love to see Ricky Hatton fight Amir Khan. After the announcement on Friday, this fight will surely be on either in December or early next year.

Khan recently turned down a fight against Joan Guzman, even though that would have been a good fight to try and restore his reputation seeing as Guzman has never lost. He's definitely been in talks with Hatton's camp about a fight. The fight would be at Welterweight and it will sell out in seconds. It would be weird seeing them fight though because they are close friends.

I think Amir Khan would knock him out early tbh, Ricky is 33 and will be fighting on the back of a long cocaine, alcohol and junk food binge.

Gonna try my best to get tickets though if it goes ahead.

australiasbrain
09-12-2012, 09:44 PM
Hatton is a has been...actually he is a never was been.

unleashed132
09-12-2012, 09:46 PM
Amir Khan is gonna destroy Hatton making him do what has never been done before, retiring, coming back and retiring after said fight.

CobyWan
09-12-2012, 09:50 PM
The Pacquiao knockout was pretty scary. Unfortunately boxers themselves are always the last ones to know when to hang them up for good. Too many people in their entourage also encourage them to keep going so they can continue to leach off the prize money. It's sad seeing so many great fighters become ghosts of their former selves.

YesWayNoWeigh
09-12-2012, 09:59 PM
khan said he wants lucas matthysse in dec

TTexasTT
09-12-2012, 10:02 PM
he should fight kostya tszyu again.

australiasbrain
09-12-2012, 10:27 PM
he should fight kostya tszyu again.

he couldn't beat the then 35 year old Tszyu, why would he be able to be a 42 year old Tszyu.

Great Aussie fighter.....from Russia.

TTexasTT
09-12-2012, 10:32 PM
he couldn't beat the then 35 year old Tszyu, why would he be able to be a 42 year old Tszyu.

because they are both washed up

futbolista89
09-12-2012, 10:35 PM

Huh? He beat Tszyu. Albeit an old one. Tszyu is one of the GOAT Light welters.

Masstastic
09-13-2012, 03:53 AM
If Hatton hadn't been away from boxing for so long I think he'd have a chance with Amir Khan.

But the drinking, drugs, etc certainly can't help his cause.

Krayg
09-13-2012, 04:02 AM
would be cool to see him come back and fight Khan however I think his best is past him and he should retire for good. The KO from manny was pretty awesome.

PervedOut
09-13-2012, 05:21 AM
In b4 he KO's Khan and they put him in a match against Pacquiao or Mayweather....that division is becoming rerun after rerun

Kadafi25
09-13-2012, 05:50 AM
Hatton is a has been...actually he is a never was been.

Pls go.

Reports in the UK today are suggesting that Hatton is pursuing a rematch with Paulie Malignaggi who holds the WBA Welterweight championship.

Not sure how I'd feel about this tbh. Hatton destroyed Paulie four years ago and even Khan cruised to a win over him. It's a better fight for Paulie rather than Hatton but at least it's a winnable fight for Ricky.

Still more interested in a fight with Khan. The only other realistic high profile opponent for Hatton IMO is Kell Brook, who beat Ricky's brother earlier this year. But Brook would win that comfortably.

QB_Killa
09-13-2012, 06:10 AM
Malignaggi's work rate will be too high for Hatton but on the bright side he won't suffer serious damage from Paulie's pillow hands. Khan vs Hatton would be very ugly imo, Hatton wouldn't get close it would be one of the most one sided fights in recent memory.

Hengman
09-13-2012, 06:30 AM
If Hatton can be more balanced as a fighter (implementing more defensive strategies instead of brawling), Hatton can take on Amir Khan. Guzman exposed Khan so much in their fight that probably made Hatton very confident that he can take on Khan.

Loswaldo
09-13-2012, 07:10 AM
Khan vs Hatton, couldn't think of a worse match-up.

Khan is an over rated bum.
Hatton is old and fat.

YesWayNoWeigh
09-13-2012, 09:05 AM

Hatton is old and fat.

is this real life? lol but youre right

Sjas
09-13-2012, 09:07 AM
Khan is a glass jawed fraud. Wont watch this

jamesggg
09-13-2012, 09:40 AM
in b4 prince naseem comeback, now thats something i'd pay to watch

F.A.M.E.
09-13-2012, 10:15 AM
lol Kahn would get KTFO. Dude has a chin weaker than an 80 year old woman's queef. Ricky at even 80% of what he was will pressure Kahn and eventually catch him with somethin'. Hatton by TKO in 7 if it happens.

Azzurri
09-13-2012, 12:08 PM
How fat is he now?

PuNjAbixxPheNoM
09-13-2012, 12:11 PM
Amir Khan will work Hatton

Musicnation
09-13-2012, 12:13 PM
I'd actually love to see Hatton finally destroy Junior Witter.

Kadafi25
09-13-2012, 01:41 PM

Hatton is old and fat.

If anything Khan is actually underrated. The majority of the UK boxing fanbase seem to hate Khan for whatever reason and think he's shiit. People don't actually realise how good Khan is. He just fights like a twat. If he starts boxing defensively, with more discipline, he'd be a world beater (srs).

And Hatton is leaner than you btw. He's in good shape.

And it's hardly a bad match-up. It's probably the only domestic bout that realistically has the ability to sell out an arena like Wembley and is probably the only domestic bout that would have mass appeal to the US viewership.

Khan is a glass jawed fraud. Wont watch this

lol Kahn would get KTFO. Dude has a chin weaker than an 80 year old woman's queef. Ricky at even 80% of what he was will pressure Kahn and eventually catch him with somethin'. Hatton by TKO in 7 if it happens.

I think people actually underestimate Khan's chin (srs). He went 12 rounds with Maidana and took some really hard shots from him. He was only sparked out by Prescott and Garcia again because he fought like a mug. He's reckless and that's why he's been KOd twice. He proved he has a good chin against Maidana. If he cleans up his defence, he's outpointing most of the people in the light-welter/welterweight division IMO. Even Pacquiao has been KOd twice but look at him now.

How fat is he now?

He's shredded apparently (srs).

I'd actually love to see Hatton finally destroy Junior Witter.

Would be a great tune-up fight before stepping up and fighting Malignaggi/Khan. Witter actually called him out yesterday and said he should only come back to fight him lulz!

I just think Khan would beat Hatton because of the Pacquiao fight:

Jmo9MmAV-2Q

Khan is just about as fast as Pacquiao so I don't see how Ricky would cope. He only has a puncher's chance. But who knows, maybe Ricky Hatton is capable of turning back the years. If the bookies have Khan at anything less favourable than 1/5 to win though I'm going to put thousands on Khan because I don't see any other result.