PDA

View Full Version : National Police Union Refuses to Endorse Romney, First Such Refusal in 98 Years

ticktickytembo
09-10-2012, 06:44 PM
http://blog.workingamerica.org/2012/09/10/national-police-union-refuses-to-endorse-romney-first-such-refusal-in-98-years/

For the first time in 98 years, the 330,000-member Fraternal Order of Police (FOP) will not endorse a candidate for president this year. The FOP supported the Republican candidate for President in 2008, 2004, and 2000, and its non-endorsement is seen as a refutation of Mitt Romney.

Why the change? One big reason was Mitt Romney’s support of Senate Bill 5 in Ohio, which stripped collective bargaining rights from police officers.

People familiar with the group’s decision said leaders had been disturbed by Mr. Romney’s statements of strong support for several antiunion initiatives, particularly the move in Ohio to restrict the collective-bargaining rights of public-union employees, including police and firefighters. The measure was overturned by voters in Ohio last year.

repoman2184
09-10-2012, 06:45 PM
Mitt Romney’s proposal for a structured bankruptcy would have necessitated considerable federal involvement, too, but with a key difference: The UAW contracts would have been renegotiated, and GM’s executive suites would have been cleaned out, placing the company on a path toward innovation and self-sufficiency rather than permanent life support. Which is to say, Obama did for GM what he is doing by un-reforming welfare: creating a dependent constituency.

The Democrats cling to the ridiculous claim that the bailout of GM and its now-Italian competitor, Chrysler, saved 1.5 million U.S. jobs. This preposterous figure is based on the assumption that if GM and Chrysler had gone into normal bankruptcy proceedings, the entire enterprise of automobile manufacturing in the United States would have collapsed — not only at GM and Chrysler but at Ford and foreign transplants such as Toyota and Honda. Not only that, the Democrats’ argument goes, but practically every parts maker, supplier, warehousing agency, and services firm dedicated to the car industry would have collapsed, too. In fact, it is unlikely that even GM or Chrysler would have stopped production during bankruptcy: The assembly lines would have continued rolling, interest and debt payments would have been cut, and — here’s the problem — union contracts would have been renegotiated. Far from having saved 1.5 million jobs, it is not clear that the GM bailout saved any — only that it preserved the UAW’s unsustainable arrangement

HELIX35
09-10-2012, 06:51 PM
Ok... so they are also 'refusing' to endorse obama

Biased article is biased

ZenBowman
09-10-2012, 07:53 PM
R'pubs used to be against welfare queens and pro-worker.

Over the last few years that has changed dramatically, don't see why anyone who doesn't own a business would vote 'pub these days.

Mulyark
09-10-2012, 08:07 PM
Typical union azzholes. They'd support legalized murder if their rank and file could get free benefits after 2 weeks.

freeheeler
09-10-2012, 09:00 PM
Most, probably 95% of the officers in our company are Republicans, but none of them voted for Meg when she ran for Governor and none of them that I have spoken to are voting for Romney either

brighamw
09-10-2012, 09:05 PM
Unions...

HELIX35
09-10-2012, 09:06 PM
Most, probably 95% of the officers in our company are Republicans, but none of them voted for Meg when she ran for Governor and none of them that I have spoken to are voting for Romney either

<----registered republican

Not voting Romney

Phil9
09-10-2012, 09:16 PM
Ok... so they are also 'refusing' to endorse obama

Biased article is biased

When an organization backs a Republican candidate in every election and suddenly doesn't, they don't need to back the Democrat for it to be a big deal.

HELIX35
09-10-2012, 09:23 PM
When an organization backs a Republican candidate in every election and suddenly doesn't, they don't need to back the Democrat for it to be a big deal.

They've endorsed Democrats before

Clinton was the most recent

StAFl
09-10-2012, 09:40 PM
I've voted Republican since Reagan's second term. The party has been hijacked by teabagger sh!tbags. I am now Independent, I'll probably vote for Mickey Mouse.

All the problems this country has and the fundamentalist that have taken over the 'pub party are concerned with abortion and queers getting married.

HELIX35
09-10-2012, 09:43 PM
I've voted Republican since Reagan's second term. The party has been hijacked by teabagger sh!tbags. I am now Independent, I'll probably vote for Mickey Mouse.

All the problems this country has and the fundamentalist that have taken over the 'pub party are concerned with abortion and queers getting married.

Only reason I haven't left the party is so I can vote for ron paul

Republicans no longer represent what they're supposed to