PDA

View Full Version : Long term meal timing?

LionRiver
09-10-2012, 01:15 PM
We all know that meal timing throughout the day doesn't matter.

But what about throughout the week?
There are only so many specific cases but I can't find anything that gives me an answer so I would like to know some of your opinions

Lets say you have a Chest/Tri's workout on Monday, first thing in the morning before you eat
Your required maintenance is 3000 calories

-Immediately after your workout, an emergency comes up and you have less time to eat... IDK lets say zombie apocalypse or some **** like that....
-For monday, you only manage to eat 2900 calories
-Tuesday... the emergency situation arises again and you can only eat 2900 calories this time
-Wednesday comes and once again, you are only able to eat 2900 calories
-Thursday, the zombie apocalypse is finally over and you can go back to living normally. You eat 4000 calories to put you back in a surplus and to make up for monday/tuesday/wednesday' deficits

By thursday, is it too late for your chest/tri's to repair and grow with your caloric surplus?

TimothyAnaya
09-10-2012, 01:33 PM
Personally, I'm not sure how adding what you need on friday will help you with a workout from monday. I could be wrong, though.

germaine07
09-10-2012, 01:53 PM
By thursday you should have trained your chest again....

AlwaysTryin
09-10-2012, 03:17 PM
By thursday, is it too late for your chest/tri's to repair and grow with your caloric surplus?

You've ate 8700 calories since... Why wouldn't they have repaired...

battler1992
09-10-2012, 11:56 PM
Personally I would just cut my loses and eat bak at 3000 thursday and take steps to be better preparded for next time my day is getting busyand have a quick back up meal of some sort in hand. Would be interested to know if your body would actually utilize those extra calories from your idea the same as if they were spread across the days as normal.

MikeK46
09-11-2012, 06:54 AM
You would gain the weight back, but it will be mostly fat rather than muscle. The "anabolic garage door" is 24-48 hours after resistance training, not a week. If you don't provide sufficient energy and nutrients for recovery during this period, you've missed the opportunity.

Building muscle isn't the same as losing fat, where you can focus on a weekly deficit (or monthly or yearly deficit...makes no difference).

weknow24
09-11-2012, 07:35 AM
in terms of fat gain/loss you can look at your deficit/surplus on a weekly basis, but in terms of building muscle you need to hit your macros everyday.

StephSkywalker
09-11-2012, 07:52 AM
I want to know how you can have a zombie apocalypse on Monday and everything goes back to normal by Friday.. Either it wasn't really an "apocalypse" or the effects of the world becoming zombies have been grossly misrepresented by every movie I've seen...

LionRiver
09-12-2012, 09:11 PM
You would gain the weight back, but it will be mostly fat rather than muscle. The "anabolic garage door" is 24-48 hours after resistance training, not a week. If you don't provide sufficient energy and nutrients for recovery during this period, you've missed the opportunity.

Building muscle isn't the same as losing fat, where you can focus on a weekly deficit (or monthly or yearly deficit...makes no difference).

THIS was a great answer. Thanks. I tried searching for "anabolic window" but every single person in every single thread said "meal timing doesn't matter bla bla bla"... but of course it does long term. measly reps lol.

I want to know how you can have a zombie apocalypse on Monday and everything goes back to normal by Friday.. Either it wasn't really an "apocalypse" or the effects of the world becoming zombies have been grossly misrepresented by every movie I've seen...

lol idk... every movie i've seen... the military is always stupid enough to fail for some reason lol