PDA

View Full Version : Is this carb better than brown rice? (Quinoa)

JK2006
02-15-2007, 08:43 AM
After one of the posts by Rey92 mentioned about Quinoa I read up on it: (I might be doing Keto so I am out of it but its interesting to know about this)

Quinoa is an easy food to prepare, has a pleasantly light, fluffy texture when cooked, and its mild, slightly nutty flavor makes it an excellent alternative to white rice or couscous.

Unlike wheat or rice (which are low in lysine), quinoa contains a balanced set of essential amino acids for humans, making it an unusually complete foodstuff. This means it takes less quinoa protein to meet one's needs than wheat protein. It is a good source of dietary fiber and phosphorus and is high in magnesium and iron.

CHM
02-15-2007, 08:52 AM
Quinoa is a great superfood that has many things brown rice does not. But like it says, it is just an alternative to rice. Eat both for different benefits.

RuckstaR
02-15-2007, 12:49 PM
There isn't much I can think of that rice will give you that quinoa wont...balance is key but quinoa is IMO undoubtedly better. Quinoa also has an unusually high protein quality for a grain....

JK2006
02-15-2007, 01:23 PM
There isn't much I can think of that rice will give you that quinoa wont...balance is key but quinoa is IMO undoubtedly better. Quinoa also has an unusually high protein quality for a grain....

Yeah I was kinda surprised to know that its a complete protein.

Is it available in US markets?

CHM
02-15-2007, 02:57 PM
Yes, Bob's Red Mill makes it. You can find it in most grocery stores in the health food/organic section.

Webgem
02-15-2007, 03:19 PM
Quinoa is the best kept secret!

corple
02-15-2007, 03:50 PM
http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c21U1.html
not bad at all..
how do you eat this stuff? get it at normal stores?

fates_child03
02-15-2007, 03:55 PM
Quinoa is awesome you can cook it and eat it just like rice. to me its texture is more like Couscous then rice though.

RuckstaR
02-15-2007, 04:10 PM
It is totally like couscous isnt it? Maybe a little more fibrey, but really quite a pleasure to eat. The texture doesn't get as old and boring as quickly is rice does.