PDA

View Full Version : I need help on what i should do.

Mullineauxj
09-07-2012, 09:48 AM
Ok, to start i posted a thread on here almost a year ago when I decided to change my life, I didn't get much of a response so I hope this time is different. January 4 last year I was 6'1" 285 with about 33% body fat. After nine mounths today I am currently 236 lb. I dont no what my fat percentage is but I am guessing in the 20's.
My dilemma is what should I do next.
I startted my new diet and exercise plan last week. I am at a 2500 cal diet witch is not hard to maintain, and I run 3 miles 5 days a week, and lift weights 4 days. My problem is I always use to lift weights because I was a college football player. Now that is over, I don't know how to lift, or what to lift.
After loseing 50 lbs I feel better and am a lot thinner, but I want to lose more fat. You can see my before and current photos I'm my progress, I want to get lean, but I don't know what to do because I want to keep my muscles and gain definition and size in some area's.
Like I said before, I did not get a lot of help last time I did this so I had to wing it. I need your guyses help now.
Thanks in advance.

danhaney
09-07-2012, 09:57 AM
Ok, to start i posted a thread on here almost a year ago when I decided to change my life, I didn't get much of a response so I hope this time is different. January 4 last year I was 6'1" 285 with about 33% body fat. After nine mounths today I am currently 236 lb. I dont no what my fat percentage is but I am guessing in the 20's.
My dilemma is what should I do next.
I startted my new diet and exercise plan last week. I am at a 2500 cal diet witch is not hard to maintain, and I run 3 miles 5 days a week, and lift weights 4 days. My problem is I always use to lift weights because I was a college football player. Now that is over, I don't know how to lift, or what to lift.
After loseing 50 lbs I feel better and am a lot thinner, but I want to lose more fat. You can see my before and current photos I'm my progress, I want to get lean, but I don't know what to do because I want to keep my muscles and gain definition and size in some area's.
Like I said before, I did not get a lot of help last time I did this so I had to wing it. I need your guyses help now.
Thanks in advance.

Looks like you've had some good weight loss so far, so congratulations on that! Good to see you're counting your calories as well. As for lifting, since you can go 5 days a week I would suggest a 5 day split. Mine is Monday-Back/Calves, Tuesday-Chest/Abs, Wednesday-Quads/Hams, Thursday-Shoulders/Calves, Friday-Bi/Tri/Abs. You can mix it any way you like, just try to get every major muscle at least once a week. As for exercises, this website has a lot of sample workout programs you could adopt as one of your own.

SheepOnAcid
09-07-2012, 09:58 AM
Good job on the 49 lb. fat loss. From what you are describing it seems to me that you had guidance on how to work out in college but now that you're out of college you're a bit confused as exactly how to proceed. You want to lose more fat while also maintaining your muscle.

Since you lifted weights in college I would assume that you are least somewhat strong already, otherwise I think many people on here would refer you to the Starting Strength program to get your lifts up to good levels.

I recommend doing All Pro's Beginner Routine http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

It explains what lifts to do, and everything else you need to know to get going. This program will help you keep your muscle while you cut, and depending on your weight lifting experience, you may even gain some strength during your cut.

Meanwhile, you should also read How to Lose Fat for Noobs http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=129247741

In it you will find the important advice to keep your protein levels in check to avoid muscular atrophy. Good luck.

Mullineauxj
09-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Looks like you've had some good weight loss so far, so congratulations on that! Good to see you're counting your calories as well. As for lifting, since you can go 5 days a week I would suggest a 5 day split. Mine is Monday-Back/Calves, Tuesday-Chest/Abs, Wednesday-Quads/Hams, Thursday-Shoulders/Calves, Friday-Bi/Tri/Abs. You can mix it any way you like, just try to get every major muscle at least once a week. As for exercises, this website has a lot of sample workout programs you could adopt as one of your own.
Your workout plan is excactly what i startted monday just in a different order. THank you for the help.

Mullineauxj
09-07-2012, 12:56 PM
Good job on the 49 lb. fat loss. From what you are describing it seems to me that you had guidance on how to work out in college but now that you're out of college you're a bit confused as exactly how to proceed. You want to lose more fat while also maintaining your muscle.

Since you lifted weights in college I would assume that you are least somewhat strong already, otherwise I think many people on here would refer you to the Starting Strength program to get your lifts up to good levels.

It explains what lifts to do, and everything else you need to know to get going. This program will help you keep your muscle while you cut, and depending on your weight lifting experience, you may even gain some strength during your cut.

In it you will find the important advice to keep your protein levels in check to avoid muscular atrophy. Good luck.
Thank you it was a long 49 lb loss but well worth it. And you are correct. I dont know exactly how I should be lifting now that Iam no longer playing. My bench max is 315 my squat max was 395 x3, my clean was 225 x5 about 3 mounths ago but i have not maxed in a while. my goal right now is to get down to about 215, but i do not want to lose too much muscle while doing it. Should i start lifting more to tone or what?