PDA

View Full Version : Harper gonna harp'

EarnIt
09-06-2012, 05:24 PM
Statistically, nobody can deny that Mike Trout is having a better year than Harper. What he lacks there, he more than makes up for in hustle, determination, and youthfull enthusiasm. The kid is an absolute spark plug for this team and has a lot more value then his numbers indicate. Anyone watching tonight's game is getting a chance to see what he brings day in and day out.

SnapVille
09-06-2012, 05:31 PM
Trout gonna Trout
http://www.exposay.com/celebrity-photos/matt-barkley-7-2011-ncaa-football-ucla-bruins-8UOqTk.jpg

gottk2x
09-06-2012, 06:30 PM
jesus christ, how many runs have the cubs given up this series?

LostOne287
09-06-2012, 06:33 PM
Statistically, nobody can deny that Mike Trout is having a better year than Harper. What he lacks there, he more than makes up for in hustle, determination, and youthfull enthusiasm. The kid is an absolute spark plug for this team and has a lot more value then his numbers indicate. Anyone watching tonight's game is getting a chance to see what he brings day in and day out.

You just described Mike Trout.

MtnJax
09-06-2012, 06:48 PM
You just described Mike Trout.

Spark plug huh? Trout and Harper started on the same day. One of them is on a team struggling to make the playoffs, the other is on a team with the best record baseball...

Trout may have better numbers, but Harper has had more influence on his team by being there. Besides, Harper is on a tear right now because things are finally starting to click for him. He's getting hot at the right time

TranceOfPeace
09-06-2012, 06:49 PM
You just described Mike Trout.this

Shortstop36
09-06-2012, 06:50 PM
Spark plug huh? Trout and Harper started on the same day. One of them is on a team struggling to make the playoffs, the other is on a team with the best record baseball...

Trout may have better numbers, but Harper has had more influence on his team by being there. Besides, Harper is on a tear right now because things are finally starting to click for him. He's getting hot at the right time

I Can't tell if trolling, or just a Nationals fan.

cor030
09-06-2012, 07:20 PM
Look everyone knows I'm a huuuuge nats homer but he has not provided more value than trout. Trout is literally an MVP candidate and his team is losing because of bad pitching and no help from anyone not named pujols.

But, I still think Harper could be as good as trout is next year. Trout was garbage in his first year in the majors(although a smaller sample size) and he made huge progress in year 2. Lot of folks forget(ignore?) that when comparing the two.

Harper is already a good defensive CF(but horribly inconsistent). Hes elite by some metrics. He's always had an 80 power tool and despite a ridiculous slump he will still prob hit 20+ this season. I think next year he will ops 900+ but his avg will be nowhere near trouts. I'd guess around .270.

DA_MOSS
09-06-2012, 07:22 PM

may be the dumbest post of the day

SuburbanLegend
09-06-2012, 07:24 PM
I like how he hustles everywhere.

I don't get how you can't run out every ball. It's 90 feet and you're getting paid to play. Put the effort in.

melanimal_old
09-06-2012, 07:26 PM

new nats fans quickly becoming most tarded fan base

taxe91
09-06-2012, 07:27 PM

my mind was blown when I saw that it wasnt a Sep 2012 join date that made this post

EarnIt
09-06-2012, 07:36 PM
Look everyone knows I'm a huuuuge nats homer but he has not provided more value than trout. Trout is literally an MVP candidate and his team is losing because of bad pitching and no help from anyone not named pujols.

But, I still think Harper could be as good as trout is next year. Trout was garbage in his first year in the majors(although a smaller sample size) and he made huge progress in year 2. Lot of folks forget(ignore?) that when comparing the two.

Harper is already a good defensive CF(but horribly inconsistent). Hes elite by some metrics. He's always had an 80 power tool and despite a ridiculous slump he will still prob hit 20+ this season. I think next year he will ops 900+ but his avg will be nowhere near trouts. I'd guess around .270.

Lol why are you discussing stats when then entire OP was an attempt to quantify his value based on everything but stats.

cor030
09-06-2012, 07:44 PM
new nats fans quickly becoming most tarded fan base

Pls go, a phillies fan wanted Olt + some for joe blanton and Kyle Kendrick and he was being srs.

cor030
09-06-2012, 07:50 PM
Lol why are you discussing stats when then entire OP was an attempt to quantify his value based on everything but stats.

Because his play style(which has gotten him benched btw) does not make up for him essentially being an automatic out in the 2 hole for the better part of the season..

taxe91
09-06-2012, 07:53 PM
damn seems like i shouldve watched the Nats game instead of the O's game

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1178770/brycerealmad.gif

benches emptied after this?

0starine
09-06-2012, 07:56 PM

Do you even baseball?
The Angels got off to a terrible start. Then they called Trout up, and the bad start ended.

Zylantypic
09-06-2012, 07:58 PM

lol

Angels record before Trout: 6-18

Angels record after Trout: 68-45 (tied for 2nd in the league). 23 games over .500

WAR (Wins above replacement, basically the mecca of team influence): 9.3 (leads the league, ahead of 2nd place by 3.1 WAR)

Angels offense before Trout: Bottom 5 worst in the league.

Angels offense after Trout: Top 5 in the league, since May 1st (3 days after Trout was called up) they lead the league in AVG, Runs, OBP, Homers and RBIs.

robby1024
09-06-2012, 08:24 PM
fuk trout and harper..... profar is starting same age as harper lets see what he does

MtnJax
09-06-2012, 08:43 PM
dear god, Sports Misc is so easy to rustle their jimmies lol

EMDAB
09-06-2012, 09:07 PM

Lol This

thefederalist
09-07-2012, 12:04 AM

trout has a WAR well over 9. next in the AL is Cano @ 6.2. First in the NL is McCutchen @ 6.0.

trout has been the best player in baseball this year @ age 21

Zylantypic
09-07-2012, 02:37 AM
I really doubt you were intentionally jimmy rustlin'.

taxe91
09-07-2012, 02:40 AM
speaking of the nats..

The benches and bullpens emptied twice with no punches thrown. In the bottom of the fifth inning, Nationals outfielder Jayson Werth was at the plate when he swung at a 3-0 pitch from reliever Lendy Castillo.

Bench coach Jaime Quirk was clearly upset that Werth swung at the pitch when the Nationals were up by five runs.

"You know, you're up 7-2, Lendy Castillo's pitching," Clevenger said. "It's 3-0, you don't swing 3-0 in that situation. But things happen."

Clevenger = Cubs catcher

what a loser attitude. maybe dont let your pathetic pitcher get into a 3-0 count in the first place

JaxBrah
09-07-2012, 04:07 AM

If you expect Bryce Harper to ever in his career be on the level that mike trout is on this year then you will be forever disappointed.

Harper will never steal 60+ bases, he will never hit for .330+ , he will never be the fielder trout is (i love watching harper field just to lol). In fact the only thing bryce harper might ever top trout in is Homeruns.

taxe91
09-07-2012, 04:17 AM
If you expect Bryce Harper to ever in his career be on the level that mike trout is on this year then you will be forever disappointed.

Harper will never steal 60+ bases, he will never hit for .330+ , he will never be the fielder trout is (i love watching harper field just to lol). In fact the only thing bryce harper might ever top trout in is Homeruns.

Harper's a good fielder though. he has a real cannon for an arm already, god knows how strong his throws will be when he fills out. not fair to judge him based on the fly ball he missed in the ASG

cor030
09-07-2012, 08:50 AM

oh look, it's the guy who said Machado would match+beat Harper's HR total before the year ends after a good first week lulz.

Harper will probably never be as good as Trout. I'll admit that. Trout is a freak of nature; I'm not sure he even has a weakness in his game. Hits for avg, power, gets on base, steals bases at will, fantastic defensively.. I guess you could say his arm will never be special, but it's serviceable and when you have the range he does it's not a big deal. Harper, nor any player really, probably can't live up to that.

BUT, it is ignorant to dismiss the possibility entirely. For one, Harper is actually a good fielder. He ranks 3rd in the majors in UZR(yes, I'm aware that this stat has flaws, but it's still useful). He's just very inconsistent and when he ****s up, it's usually a hilariously bad misread that spins him around 10 times and the ball drops. Trout had 3 full years before 2012 to refine his defense(286 games player in the minors in his career, 266 if you don't count the time he spent in AAA this year). Harper had 109 games to learn an ENTIRELY new position that also happens to be one of the most difficult position to field. Harper WILL get better at reading fly balls, taking better routes, etc.

You can't teach his arm, too. Teams won't send a runner on 3rd to balls hit to the fuking warning track because of it. By far his biggest issue adjusting to the OF has been thinking he can throw EVERY runner out, which has lead to him over throwing the cut off man and letting guys advance because of it. Again, that will get better with time.

Harper's a good fielder though. he has a real cannon for an arm already, god knows how strong his throws will be when he fills out. not fair to judge him based on the fly ball he missed in the ASG

This.

This comment sums everything up for a lot of people on this forum though.

Aaron Gleeman ********@AaronGleeman

I feel sorry for the people who decided to immediately hate Bryce Harper forever, because they're missing one helluva player.