PDA

View Full Version : skull crushers ratio to curls strength

iballzdeep
09-04-2012, 06:35 AM
what's up guys i was just wondering if my triceps and biceps were proportional in strength because i don't know what the ratio of there strength should be
i personally train callisthenics which is pull ups, dips, push-ups, handstand push-ups etc.. (you get the point) but i do have some dumbbells so i test my strength from time to time with them to see if i made any strength gainz which i have made amazing ones in the past 2 month and 1 week of when i started even though that's besides the point

i curl 35lb dumbbells for 8 reps which is basically a sum of 70lb x 8
i skull crush 75lbs for 8 reps
am i normal or do i need to work on my proportion also what would be the best proportion for strength

thanks for you time

jasondickhaus
09-04-2012, 03:57 PM
u r doing pushups, dips, handstand pushups which are triceps, and pullups that are biceps. normal in my preceptive is being able to do more tricep then bicep. my 2 cents

chodan9
09-04-2012, 04:02 PM
normally your tricep movements will be stronger, it is a larger muscle group. I know guys who can do weighted dips with 90+ pounds yet cant do a pullup, so its good that your keeping it balanced

-=FLEX=-
09-04-2012, 04:04 PM
I don't do skullcrushers but why would you expect there to be a correlation to an exercise on a different muscle group?

Also strength is not typically based on isolation movements.

IMHO, if you want to focus on strength you should start talking about deadlifts, squats, bench press and overhead presses.

Whiskeyjack
09-04-2012, 04:16 PM
I always loved lying tri ext (aka skull crushers) until in past months getting and holding the bar in place bothered my right rotator injury, so I've focussed on machine dips (which I love).

In the past I've found that SK and BB curls to be roughly equivalent in weight. If I used 115 in one I could generally do the same in the other.

BLaaR
09-04-2012, 10:41 PM
I always loved lying tri ext (aka skull crushers) until in past months getting and holding the bar in place bothered my right rotator injury, so I've focussed on machine dips (which I love).

In the past I've found that SK and BB curls to be roughly equivalent in weight. If I used 115 in one I could generally do the same in the other.

Yeah, about the same for me doing skulls and curls. Although I had a hard time with skulls getting into position.

I stopped doing skulls because they are really hard on the elbows. Switched to close grip bench and all was good.

2nd_chance
09-04-2012, 11:00 PM
I don't do skullcrushers but why would you expect there to be a correlation to an exercise on a different muscle group?
My thoughts.

IMHO, if you want to focus on strength you should start talking about deadlifts, squats, bench press and overhead presses.You wouldn't add kickbacks to those?

stealthmedia
09-04-2012, 11:03 PM
You wouldn't add kickbacks to those?
Not if strength is the primary concern

Karl_Hungus
09-05-2012, 01:32 AM
You wouldn't add kickbacks to those?

Only if they were done on a Swiss Ball.

acrawlingchaos
09-05-2012, 03:00 AM
Only if they were done on a Swiss Ball.http://tucsoncitizen.com/morgue/files/2007/05/l52210-1.jpg

Amidoingitright.jpg?