PDA

View Full Version : Begin training after ac resection

Spookyluke001
08-29-2012, 02:41 PM
Hey all I've searched for a post similar to my question but have been able to find one.
I'm 41 and had ac joins resection approx 3 mth ago. 1 cm and bone spurs removed. Recovery goin ok still gives me some grief.
I wanted to start a stronglift 5x5 type programme as I'm thinking the steady progression will be ok for my shoulder.
My concern is with bench and press motions.
Any advice from others is greatly appreciated.

fittofattofit
08-29-2012, 04:08 PM
I've had RC recons on both shoulders and a clavicular head excision on my left shoulder.
Pressing has never felt great afterwards but you can get really strong on rowing - cable rows, pull-ups and pull-downs will help correct a lot of the muscular imbalances across the shoulder that cause most shoulder pathology anyway. We tend to do too much anterior work and not enough posterior work so that the scapulae get pulled up and the acromion moves forward and causes most impingement issues. Work on your scapular retraction during rows and pull-ups, throw in rear delt work like reverse pec deck flyes, and you will build up strong, stable and balanced shudders. When yur shoulders feel strong and stable again, then start with the pressing again

Spookyluke001
08-29-2012, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the tips and the quick reply.

fittofattofit
08-29-2012, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the tips and the quick reply.
Gotta help out a fellow Aussie with shoulder issues --- even if you are a NSWelshman :D

I posted this before about shoulder health
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135137881&p=693135141#post693135141

Thinking about scapular retraction during all of your lifts will help build stability quickly, and when you get back to pressing check out posts about how to press safely with regards to your shoulders

Spookyluke001
08-29-2012, 09:50 PM
Great link and I appreciate the info. Looks like I'm guilty of all the things that cause issues with shoulder health!

Oh and to make it worse,, I'm not only a NSWelshman but a kiwi to boot.

BLaaR
08-29-2012, 11:30 PM
Hey all I've searched for a post similar to my question but have been able to find one.
I'm 41 and had ac joins resection approx 3 mth ago. 1 cm and bone spurs removed. Recovery goin ok still gives me some grief.
I wanted to start a stronglift 5x5 type programme as I'm thinking the steady progression will be ok for my shoulder.
My concern is with bench and press motions.
Any advice from others is greatly appreciated.

I joined BB.com years back when I had the same operation as you. Posted in this topic :
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2693501

As you I also opted to use the Stronglifts 5x5 program, and it worked great for me. I started with a single half a kg plate that I held in my hand and did my bench presses like that. Then I moved to 1kg dumbbells and worked up my weight from there. Luckily the gym had some adjustable dumbbells so I could increment the weight by small amounts.

I found that using dumbbells for my bench and military presses was friendlier on the shoulder than the barbell versions. Might not be the same for you, but keep it at the back of your mind. If the one version bothers you, try the other.

Another thing that helped me tremendously getting back to full strength was push ups. I used the smith machine and set the bar about chest height, and did push ups almost upright. Then each week, I lowered the bar a bit. Finally I was able to do proper pushups from the floor.

Main thing is to take it really slow. If you feel any pain what so ever then stop.

Spookyluke001
08-30-2012, 02:52 AM
I enjoyed reading through the posts from that link.

Did you do the progression as layed out in 5x5 on the other excersises and Slowly slowly increased the bench and press?
Or did you wait till shoulder was up to the task and do program equally?

Hope that makes sense.

BLaaR
08-30-2012, 03:26 AM
I enjoyed reading through the posts from that link.

Did you do the progression as layed out in 5x5 on the other excersises and Slowly slowly increased the bench and press?
Or did you wait till shoulder was up to the task and do program equally?

Hope that makes sense.

Yeah, some informative posting by other members. Helped me out tremendously.

I remember when I started my shoulder was still somewhat stiff and I was unable to lift anything heavy with it, Heavy was anything more than 5kg.

I took the 5x5 program and looked at the exercises and subbed some of it with other that allowed me to follow the program some what. I remember that I was unable to do squats since my shoulder was still stiff and sore and holding the bar on my back did not help to comfort it. So I dropped it for the time being and subbed it for the hack squat. This allowed me to still do squats but at least my shoulder wasn't under any stress.

Another problem area was pullups / chinups. I could not do those. Instead I used the lat pull down machine.

So my routine was something like this :

A
Hack squat - did these till I was able to hold the bar on my back with no pain. Only did body weight hack squats while I was waiting for my shoulder to catch up and heal.
Bench - Did not do them for a while. I did the pushup method as I posted earlier along with very light dumbbells till I was able to lift the bar. I still do pushups today. Just an awesome exercise not to do.
Military press - Very light dumbbells till I was able to lift the empty bar
B/O rows - used the dumbbells, again till I could lift the empty bar
Chins/pullups - used the lat machine till I was able to pull close to halve my own body weight using the machine. Then switched to assisted chins/pullups
Dead lift - empty bar placed on plates

I did not start the actual 5x5 program till I was able to lift the empty bar for each of the lifts and hold the bar on my back without any pain. Once I was able to do that I just rolled with the program.

Progression actually sky rocketed once I was able to lift the empty bar. IIRC I could keep up with the program. I do remember the chin's and pullups gave me alot of problems, so I used assistance for quite a while or just used the lat pull down machine.

Hope that helps.

Spookyluke001
08-30-2012, 04:27 PM
Mate I appreciate your comments and will look at doing similar routine untill I'm a bit further down the recovery track.