PDA

View Full Version : Lost weight, below my lbm amount?

demisecomes
08-25-2012, 11:14 AM
Hey guys, I just bulked up recently and I went from 140 to 160 lbs and after calculating my bodyfat percentage I was at 7-8%. I was 6% @140. After kinda skimping on my nutrition and eating somewhat below maintenance, but without much activity within 2 weeks I lost 14 lbs!? I just measured myself today and I am back to 146 lbs which theoretically is below my supposed lbm muscle gain. I have a retarded metabolism btw.

I used the gallon of milk a day diet for the bulk. My question is, did I lose muscle mass by not eating maintenance, or was it just water weight or something else contributing to this weight loss since my bodyfat was relatively unchanged?

Edit: Added pics, but the before@160/after@146 are of different lighting, but you can tell by the size of my arms that I lost some weight, the waists were about the same when I was 160 and now at 146.

stefanuus
08-25-2012, 11:45 AM
pics would help

vismal
08-25-2012, 12:20 PM
I think you were very confused about what your BF was and is now. Your before picture looks in the range of 18% BF and your after looks to be around 15. What method are you using to calculate BF?

Shankapotamus
08-25-2012, 12:32 PM
7-8%... Lol'd. You're double that, my friend. Also... I would keep bulking, I'm not seeing any changes between before/after picture. If you're worried about fat gain during a bulk, try a smaller surplus.

demisecomes
08-25-2012, 12:50 PM
I was hesitant to put up pictures since the lighting can drastically affect the look of musculature in pictures. I am calculating my bf using waist measurements and online calculators, I don't have calipers. Keep in mind for my height 146 lbs is extremely skinny so I don't have much bf on me. My waist was relatively unchanged after and before bulk.

stefanuus
08-25-2012, 01:01 PM
I was hesitant to put up pictures since the lighting can drastically affect the look of musculature in pictures. I am calculating my bf using waist measurements and online calculators, I don't have calipers. Keep in mind for my height 146 lbs is extremely skinny so I don't have much bf on me. My waist was relatively unchanged after and before bulk.

lol trust me ur not 8%, im 12% and i got abs poppin all over the place, either way seems to me like u dropped a chit ton of water weight and that u were pretty full in the first pic, physique wise u might have lost a little muscle and a bit more fat

demisecomes
08-25-2012, 01:25 PM
lol trust me ur not 8%, im 12% and i got abs poppin all over the place, either way seems to me like u dropped a chit ton of water weight and that u were pretty full in the first pic, physique wise u might have lost a little muscle and a bit more fat

Hmm, yeah I conjectured the same. I think the milk, perhaps, just added a whole lot of water weight from the increased glycogen stores in the muscles and perhaps I lost some muscle mass from such a reduced caloric intake as well. How are you measuring your bf % ?

stefanuus
08-25-2012, 01:40 PM
Hmm, yeah I conjectured the same. I think the milk, perhaps, just added a whole lot of water weight from the increased glycogen stores in the muscles and perhaps I lost some muscle mass from such a reduced caloric intake as well. How are you measuring your bf % ?

u cant really measure body fat 100% accurately unless u get dunked or dexa scan, but calipers are pretty accurate if u use them right, also bf estimations if u werent a fat phuck and have a lot of lose skin, plus it doesnt really matter what ur bf% is but how u look in the mirror use calipers only to track progress

vismal
08-25-2012, 02:17 PM
Waist measurement calculations for bodyfat are among the least accurate. Calipers in the hands of the untrained are just as bad. For most people 14% you see some abs flexed. At 12 you see a 6 pack flexed, at 10 you see a 6 pack unflexed and at 7-8 you are SHREDDED! This varies A LOT based on how much LBM you have and your genetics also play a big role. As stefanuus said, the bodyfat number is meaningless. I would bulk again if I was you. What was your training like during the bulk?

demisecomes
08-25-2012, 02:54 PM
Waist measurement calculations for bodyfat are among the least accurate. Calipers in the hands of the untrained are just as bad. For most people 14% you see some abs flexed. At 12 you see a 6 pack flexed, at 10 you see a 6 pack unflexed and at 7-8 you are SHREDDED! This varies A LOT based on how much LBM you have and your genetics also play a big role. As stefanuus said, the bodyfat number is meaningless. I would bulk again if I was you. What was your training like during the bulk?

I didn't know that about calipers, I have horrible genetics. I'm definitely going to bulk again, I think perhaps the Gomad diet might have caused some hair loss from the androgenic effects, so I am currently looking to find an alternate 2400 cal meal substitute. I am a mma and gymnast so my training was more power based while I was in the bulking phase.

Heroboy107
08-25-2012, 04:23 PM
No Problem You Are Good