PDA

View Full Version : Thigh workouts?

armi88
08-24-2012, 02:43 PM
So, I had noticed that when I do any workout where I have to kneel down, my left knee wouldn't be very stable. At my most recent physical, I mentioned it to my doctor, and she told me that I should strengthen all of the muscles in my thigh so stabilize my knee cap. If I don't, I have a higher risk to have arthritis in that knee when I get older.

I'd love to know if anyone has any thigh workouts that could help me out. I've been doing simple leg lifts in between workouts and sometimes during work if I get the chance, and I'll try to lean more on my left leg when I stand (especially during work). I try to be overly conscience of using my left leg as much, or more, than my right that sometimes, it doesn't feel natural. So any advice would be greatly appreciated!

-Mela

Snarkoleptic
08-24-2012, 09:09 PM
I would do single leg movements to make sure there were no strength imbalances: squats, leg press, straight leg deadlift, etc.

NatK
08-24-2012, 10:07 PM
A physiotherapist told me to do slow single leg calf raises on a step and step ups.

CharlieChap
08-28-2012, 07:51 PM
Hi armi88 this is my fav knee strengthener(or to make the area around your knee stronger).

It's to work the vastus medialis(that's the area just a little inside(your thigh) and above the knee).

Not a cure or anything but can help.

chadwaterbury.com/step-down-for-stronger-healthier-knees/

armi88
11-19-2012, 02:18 PM
Thanks! I will definitely try all of these. My right knee gave out at random about a month ago when I threw my stuff into the car and I sort of pivoted, which I think is what caused it. It popped back in right after, but was a bit weak. Looks like I'll be doing these on both legs then...

wakechica
11-19-2012, 02:58 PM
Thanks! I will definitely try all of these. My right knee gave out at random about a month ago when I threw my stuff into the car and I sort of pivoted, which I think is what caused it. It popped back in right after, but was a bit weak. Looks like I'll be doing these on both legs then...

You should always train both where possible to prevent an imbalance. The only exception is a severe inbalance or injury requiring specific rehab.