PDA

View Full Version : do i have to eat if I'm not hungry?

fitgurl89
08-24-2012, 02:24 PM
so I've been a bit confessed in terms of how much to eat....
age-23
female
5"6
133pounds
weight training 4 days a week, cardio mixed in after weights.

macros: fat 40-45g
carbs: 130-170g (dependent on weight training/rest days)
protein: 50-100g (working a snow season, can't afford protein powder)

calories: 1400-1600

apparently my maintenance level of calories is about 2000-2100
but i just can't seem to stomach any more than that! i struggle to get my carb count over 130g because i avoid carbs at dinner coz I'm trying to lean out my body fat %

my question is do i just keep eating every 2-3 hours though i don't even feel hungry??? just feel like I'm gorging. and i work a desk job so i only hit the gym an hour in the evening (though i do go pretty intense with it)

hope u can help me out!

thepowerwithin
08-24-2012, 03:13 PM
Yes, keep eating. If you're trying to put on muscle and gain strength, you'll need to eat more.

You don't need to eat every 2-3 hours. Just get your calories up overall. You'll find you appetite will eventually be stimulated and catch up.

Forget about controlling carb timing and/or amount when trying to gain or maintain. First, get the recommended protein and fat, then fill up the rest with carbs. When I am bulking, I eat close to 200 gm carb daily, and I am not fat.

PerkyNipple
08-24-2012, 05:43 PM
you should just to meet your nutritious diet

sweetmelissa
08-24-2012, 06:04 PM
More calories doesn't always have to mean more food. If you study what you are eating, you may be able to still meet your numbers with a smaller amount of food by switching what you eat

kimm4
08-24-2012, 06:21 PM
so I've been a bit confessed in terms of how much to eat....
age-23
female
5"6
133pounds
weight training 4 days a week, cardio mixed in after weights.

macros: fat 40-45g
carbs: 130-170g (dependent on weight training/rest days)
protein: 50-100g (working a snow season, can't afford protein powder)

calories: 1400-1600

apparently my maintenance level of calories is about 2000-2100
but i just can't seem to stomach any more than that! i struggle to get my carb count over 130g because i avoid carbs at dinner coz I'm trying to lean out my body fat %

my question is do i just keep eating every 2-3 hours though i don't even feel hungry??? just feel like I'm gorging. and i work a desk job so i only hit the gym an hour in the evening (though i do go pretty intense with it)

hope u can help me out!

There's no reason to go switching up calories between training and rest days. Get yourself in a solid deficit and stay there. Liquid calories and healthy fats are an easy way to get your numbers up.

fitgurl89
08-24-2012, 06:43 PM
There's no reason to go switching up calories between training and rest days. Get yourself in a solid deficit and stay there. Liquid calories and healthy fats are an easy way to get your numbers up.

thats was gonna be another question, is there no benefit in cycling through calories? do you eat the same on rest days?
i just get a bit guilty smashing the food when on a rest day (i work a desk job during the day - so very minimal activity)

kimm4
08-24-2012, 07:16 PM
thats was gonna be another question, is there no benefit in cycling through calories? do you eat the same on rest days?
i just get a bit guilty smashing the food when on a rest day (i work a desk job during the day - so very minimal activity)

Refeeds, cycling calories are normally used when dieting for long periods of time. When a person doesn't have much to lose or is sitting at a lower level of body fat they help to keep things moving foward, so you don't stall out/plateau.

No need to calorie cycle at this point. To be honest 1400-1600 calories is not a lot of food.

fitgurl89
08-24-2012, 07:40 PM
Refeeds, cycling calories are normally used when dieting for long periods of time. When a person doesn't have much to lose or is sitting at a lower level of body fat they help to keep things moving foward, so you don't stall out/plateau.

No need to calorie cycle at this point. To be honest 1400-1600 calories is not a lot of food.

yeah I've been doing a bit more research, from now on I'm bumping my calorie intake up to 1700.
i think I'm already quite lean, i just want to gain strength, lose more body fat%.
i just noticed my progress stopped a few weeks ago which made me question my calorie intake(was definately too low) so now I'm sitting on 1700. hopefully it fires up my fat burning!!!

MichelleSmith86
08-24-2012, 11:14 PM

I'm just trying to wrap my mind around this...I've seen you post it in a few threads now and clearly you know what you're talking about.

I always thought it would be better to put more calories on workout days than non and find I feel guilty eating more on non when I'm not burning as many calories (I sit pretty much the rest of the day). How come you prefer to have it even across all days? I just want to fully understand so mentally I can do it easier....

Also, slightly off topic, but while I"m asking, what negative effects may come about if you aren't eating enough fat? I tend to error on the lower fat/higher carb approach as I find I feel better with more carbs, but I worry maybe there are negative effects I don't realize. Fat for me is typically maybe 20-25 grams per day and I'm 120 pounds.

kimm4
08-24-2012, 11:41 PM
I'm just trying to wrap my mind around this...I've seen you post it in a few threads now and clearly you know what you're talking about.

I always thought it would be better to put more calories on workout days than non and find I feel guilty eating more on non when I'm not burning as many calories (I sit pretty much the rest of the day). How come you prefer to have it even across all days? I just want to fully understand so mentally I can do it easier....

Also, slightly off topic, but while I"m asking, what negative effects may come about if you aren't eating enough fat? I tend to error on the lower fat/higher carb approach as I find I feel better with more carbs, but I worry maybe there are negative effects I don't realize. Fat for me is typically maybe 20-25 grams per day and I'm 120 pounds.

I'm not sure if you read post #7, but I did explain the refeed/calorie cycling and when it's normally used. If I have myself in a solid deficit for fat loss, it doesn't matter if I'm at the gym or taking a typical rest day...I'll still see steady fat loss. There's no need to constantly switch up counting more calories, counting less calories, depending on the day...It's a pain and why bother when you can keep things basic and simple.

Healthy fats are important for heart health, blood pressure regulation, aids in vitamin absorption, hormone production, healthy hair, healthy skin, endurance exercise, etc...They help to keep you feeling fuller when eating in a deficit. If you choose to eat more carbs, that's fine but your healthy fats are too low and you need to increase them.

MichelleSmith86
08-25-2012, 12:50 AM
I'm not sure if you read post #7, but I did explain the refeed/calorie cycling and when it's normally used. If I have myself in a solid deficit for fat loss, it doesn't matter if I'm at the gym or taking a typical rest day...I'll still see steady fat loss. There's no need to constantly switch up counting more calories, counting less calories, depending on the day...It's a pain and why bother when you can keep things basic and simple.

Healthy fats are important for heart health, blood pressure regulation, aids in vitamin absorption, hormone production, healthy hair, healthy skin, endurance exercise, etc...They help to keep you feeling fuller when eating in a deficit. If you choose to eat more carbs, that's fine but your healthy fats are too low and you need to increase them.

Thanks very much for the prompt reply. Yeah, I saw the post on refeeds and definitely know about these... I guess I just thought on a day to day basis, my chances of getting or staying leaner (when aiming to maintain) would be better when having more on workout days. Mentally I think it's the hardest thing for me. When I workout I feel better about eating carbs, like they're going to build/repair muscle, but when I don't workout, my mind has a harder time justifying it. I 'know' better, but my rational and emotional brain don't seem to align with this.

Thanks for the info about fats as well. I think I'm suffering from some inflammation in my body after doing some research on that and I think my very low fat diet may be partially to blame, so it got me wondering what other issues could be at play. I'll work on bringing them up a bit more. Thanks again for your help!