PDA

View Full Version : Grilled chicken weights

hattz19
08-23-2012, 05:35 PM
Hey guys,

I came home today after my workout, and was thankful that my mom cooked my favorite meal of chicken breast and filet mignon. I added a cup of rice to it, which I knew the exact nutritional values of. Thing is, the food I had was already cooked. I always use MFP to log my daily nutrition. On top of the cup of rice as a carb source, I had 6 oz cooked boneless/skinless chicken breast and 4.375 oz cooked filet mignon. Now, the basic rule I've seen with chicken breast is 4 oz raw = 3 oz cooked. Thus, I multiply whatever I have cooked by 1.33. Taking my 6 oz that I had, I came out to 7.98 (8 oz) of the raw value, since meat is typically stated in nutritional values as the raw weight. The chicken breast was Giant Eagle Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast, which came out to a macro value of: 239 cals/0 carb/3 fat/52 protein... now the generic b/s cooked chicken breast on mfp came out to 181 cal/0 carb/2 fat/ 36 protein.

Which value would you suggest going with? Using general sense I'm thinking to use the 4-3 rule since I know the brand of the meat, and the generic value on MFP may be for some other brand of breast that contains different values. However, I also know that most chicken breast have very similar contents per 4 oz... maybe differing 10-20 calories. Thoughts? Really not a huge difference, so I may be being OCD since it's 50 cals and 1 g fat, but 16 g protein is a little bit of a gap in my opinion. Thanks a lot I'll appreciate every reply.

Hummina
08-23-2012, 05:47 PM
i would say go with the 239 values. i bulked cooked a bunch of chicken breasts a few days ago. when all cooked, they came out to 49 cals/oz.

the filet? i have no idea. probably the same principal as the chicken where 4oz raw = 3oz cooked.

hattz19
08-23-2012, 06:37 PM
i would say go with the 239 values. i bulked cooked a bunch of chicken breasts a few days ago. when all cooked, they came out to 49 cals/oz.

the filet? i have no idea. probably the same principal as the chicken where 4oz raw = 3oz cooked.

Yep that's what I did. Oh yeah, filet I didn't even know what brand it was... USDA Choice Filet Mignon so I just used cooked value since the 4-3 value is typically only valid for poultry, since you really can't have a "medium rare" chicken unless you have a thing for salmonella. There were two values for 0" fat filets and only differing ~20 calories and ~2 on macros so didn't worry. Thanks. Repped.

adamlee34
08-23-2012, 06:52 PM
I do 120 for 4 ounces cooked and uncooked. Whatever you do make sure you do the same thing every time and it will level out.