PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep track of your workouts?

prudenceclaire
08-22-2012, 11:43 PM
When you're at the gym, how do you take note of what you're doing each day? So far I've been using the "notes" app on my phone but I'm wondering if there's a better way. I have a terrible memory so I need to keep track as I go otherwise I'd never remember once I get home. But I don't see anyone else at the gym fumbling with their phone or paper and pen.

Just wondering if anyone has any better suggestions....

hellokatie1618
08-22-2012, 11:51 PM
Really? I fumble with my paper and pen and so do a lot of people at the gym.

oneyeti
08-23-2012, 12:12 AM
yes people write stufff down at the gym or they use their phone. i normally take notes on a paper or phone then i log it all into fitocracy later

thors5
08-23-2012, 12:19 AM
If you have an iPhone look up JEFIT. I just started logging my workouts and it keeps track of 1mr's so you can try to beat your numbers during the next workout. I really like it and it's free, or just go to the app store and search for 'gym log' or 'workout log' there are a bunch of different ones.

flyingeek
08-23-2012, 12:27 AM
I come equipped w notebook, pen and timer. Oldschool.
I only see a handful that do that. The rest of the regular crowd do apps or nothing at all.
I like the notebook because I scribble notes about poor form etc. Might be a bit nerdy but it works for me:-)

Ava30
08-23-2012, 12:36 AM
I come equipped w notebook, pen and timer. Oldschool.
I only see a handful that do that. The rest of the regular crowd do apps or nothing at all.
I like the notebook because I scribble notes about poor form etc. Might be a bit nerdy but it works for me:-)

I also do the notebook and pen. It works for me

sibolovin
08-23-2012, 12:44 AM
Android app Jefit

Botika
08-23-2012, 12:45 AM
Gym Buddy on my iPhone :)

CharlieChap
08-23-2012, 02:59 AM
I have notes in my comp on the numbers I will be using on my main lifts(I'm doing 5/3/1), then I transfer those numbers to my paper journal I take with me to the gym.

I've never really noticed what others use.

acrawlingchaos
08-23-2012, 03:35 AM
I'm a pen and paper kind of guy. I just record my weight, set, reps and copyeverything in my journal (same day) along with anything pertinent I can think of.

sonti
08-23-2012, 04:59 AM
Pen, paper, and little calculator. It seems old-school but I have records dating back almost 7 years now so it's nice to reflect :) I'm not a fan of technology anyways, I don't care for things like iphones.

cyanotikat
08-23-2012, 05:38 AM
I also do the notebook and pen. It works for me

^This.

SugarFree1
08-23-2012, 05:51 AM
jefit.com has an excellent smart phone app for workout programs.

ilovethe80s
08-23-2012, 06:21 AM
I keep notebooks; I still have my training logs from 15 years ago and it is fun to look through them and see progress over the years.

megdaig
08-23-2012, 06:42 AM
I tuck a pencil in my ponytail before I leave the house and got my workout written down and ready to go...keep it simple.

IzzieStorm
08-23-2012, 08:21 AM
I take a notebook with my workout printed - I keep my workouts in MS Excel on my computer and print out my workouts....I keep track of my exercise, weights, reps, and I write notes about how I feel, whether I should increase or whatever...and how long it takes me :p I dont' think I could do it on my phone because I use it for music and wouldn't want to be fumbling with it...so off I go with a notebook and pen.

prudenceclaire
08-23-2012, 06:04 PM
It amazes me how few people at my gym seem to track what they're doing. In fact from what I can see, I'm the only one there taking notes on my workout. I want to be able to compare what I did last time so since I already use my phone, looks like an app is the way to go

thehobbes
08-23-2012, 07:20 PM
Notebook and pen for me, I don't see anyone else at my gym doing that BUT I also don't see anyone else there deadlifting either lol. If I'm doing a different routine I'll make a list of what I want to do on a post-it note and stick it in my notebook too so I don't get sidetracked.

AD1984
08-23-2012, 07:52 PM
Notebook and pen..old school as well. I write down the routine for the day, the sets and reps, and I've recently started adding other things like calories for the day (which I log separately into fitday), body measurements, mood, random notes. That notebook is getting quite a workout these days, I'll tell ya!

dsm246
08-23-2012, 08:54 PM
Gym Buddy on my iPhone :)

^^ I use this one too.

rachelily
08-23-2012, 09:09 PM
When you're at the gym, how do you take note of what you're doing each day? So far I've been using the "notes" app on my phone but I'm wondering if there's a better way. I have a terrible memory so I need to keep track as I go otherwise I'd never remember once I get home. But I don't see anyone else at the gym fumbling with their phone or paper and pen.

Just wondering if anyone has any better suggestions....

I have a small notebook (about the size of my hand) that I write down workouts in. It makes it easy to flip back and see how you did a certain exercise the day or week before!

wakechica
08-24-2012, 02:35 AM
Used to use notes in my iPhone (and they'd magically be on my mac by time I got home) now I'm doing Madcows, it has a spreadsheet - I've geeked it up a little bit more and take my iPad to the gym :) Or just scribble down the numbers on my hand.

Artemis00
08-24-2012, 05:35 AM
JEFIT user as well. I'm already bringing my cell phone to the gym since it is my MP3 player, so it just makes it easier.

That app is awesome. Tracks everything and it has hundreds of different exercises (with simple animations) in the program, so you can easily select it and add it to your routine. It also allows you to setup several different routines (I'm up to about 16). Another thing I really like is that it allows you to setup a timer for your rest period, so I don't even need to pay attention to the clock, it will let me know when to start again. And it lets you know what your previous workout was so that you don't have to flip pages to see what you did earlier. Plus as noted above it tracks your 1RPM which I find great cause it really helps to motivate you to push yourself during your next workout.

It is probably the most used app on my phone and I don't know how I would live without it. The free version is excellent and has everything you really need, but because I've used the app so much, I've upgraded to the PRO version for $4.99 just to show my appreciation of the app (plus the log is so much better in the PRO version).

SugarFree1
08-24-2012, 05:51 AM
JEFIT user as well. I'm already bringing my cell phone to the gym since it is my MP3 player, so it just makes it easier.

That app is awesome. Tracks everything and it has hundreds of different exercises (with simple animations) in the program, so you can easily select it and add it to your routine. It also allows you to setup several different routines (I'm up to about 16). Another thing I really like is that it allows you to setup a timer for your rest period, so I don't even need to pay attention to the clock, it will let me know when to start again. And it lets you know what your previous workout was so that you don't have to flip pages to see what you did earlier. Plus as noted above it tracks your 1RPM which I find great cause it really helps to motivate you to push yourself during your next workout.

It is probably the most used app on my phone and I don't know how I would live without it. The free version is excellent and has everything you really need, but because I've used the app so much, I've upgraded to the PRO version for $4.99 just to show my appreciation of the app (plus the log is so much better in the PRO version).

Well said and I'm also just throwing in my recommendation for this program. For $5 this program greatly makes logging workouts easier and showing weights you did last week etc. Also all you data is saved and viewable online. Its a great way for my trainer to check in on me during the week. Additionally there some nice features for logging your body stats each week and taking pictures with the measurements and saving them to logs.