PDA

View Full Version : Basketball player sent to serve 3 years in prison. (collapses)

namean
08-22-2012, 10:52 AM
Safe to say hes not ready for prison lulz
Kid has a $hitty lawyer if he didnt have any idea he was going to be serving 3 years.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/top-recruit-collapses-court-receiving-three-prison-sentence-141153269--ncaab.html

RogerSterling
08-22-2012, 10:57 AM
immediately thought of rick fox playing a rapist on OZ

TTexasTT
08-22-2012, 10:57 AM
Kid has a $hitty lawyer if he didnt have any idea he was going to be serving 3 years.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/top-recruit-collapses-court-receiving-three-prison-sentence-141153269--ncaab.html
Whoa... lol

0starine
08-22-2012, 11:00 AM
Depressing. The judge sounds like a ****.

namean
08-22-2012, 11:06 AM
Depressing. The judge sounds like a ****.^This, what a ****. "Im not finished!"
Sad thing about this is I guess it was his ex gf who got him in this mess. And she was asking the judge for leniency.
Biches will make you crazy and do stupid $hit!

AJ1528
08-22-2012, 11:09 AM
^This, what a ****. "Im not finished!"
Sad thing about this is I guess it was his ex gf who got him in this mess. And she was asking the judge for leniency.
Biches will make you crazy and do stupid $hit!

It is sad but how can you blame anyone else except the kid? I've gone through tough break-ups but none of them pushed me toward "kidnapping, felonious assault and other crimes."

Edit: Saw video of beat down, kid deserves more time

Hercegovac8
08-22-2012, 11:10 AM
Depressing. The judge sounds like a ****.

eh, not really

you cant go around assaulting and kidnapping people and expect it to not come back to u. No remorse as far as im concerned

PhiGreens
08-22-2012, 11:11 AM
Lol

Future24
08-22-2012, 11:20 AM
eh, not really

you cant go around assaulting and kidnapping people and expect it to not come back to u. No remorse as far as im concernedI wonder what they mean by that though. Did he lock his door and bang her and then they got in a fight so she claimed assault and kidnap?

bdub2070
08-22-2012, 11:22 AM
He thought he was getting 7 when he collapsed.

AriGhold
08-22-2012, 11:23 AM
I wonder what they mean by that though. Did he lock his door and bang her and then they got in a fight so she claimed assault and kidnap?

oh so you are one of the many sports misc rape apologists, too?

it sucks, but at least we can get a nice gif out of it all.

namean
08-22-2012, 11:25 AM
He thought he was getting 7 when he collapsed.lmao@when he mouthed " I got 5 years?"

jkeithc82
08-22-2012, 11:26 AM

Plea bargains and sentence recommendations aren't binding on the court. I'm sure the judge also admonished the kid by giving him the range of punishment for the crimes charged and that the judge is not required to accept the plea bargain agreement (its required in Texas at least).

Wonder why he didn't request jury sentencing.

bdub2070
08-22-2012, 11:33 AM
lmao@when he mouthed " I got 5 years?"

Its honestly GIF worthy lmao

roadtrippin
08-22-2012, 11:35 AM
Plea bargains and sentence recommendations aren't binding on the court. I'm sure the judge also admonished the kid by giving him the range of punishment for the crimes charged and that the judge is not required to accept the plea bargain agreement (its required in Texas at least).

Wonder why he didn't request jury sentencing.rep me. i was unfairly negged.

jkeithc82
08-22-2012, 11:36 AM
rep me. i was unfairly negged.

For what?

AhDo
08-22-2012, 11:39 AM

Wonder why he didn't request jury sentencing.
feminazis will get him. No one would want to see a black athlete walk away free

I wonder what they mean by that though. Did he lock his door and bang her and then they got in a fight so she claimed assault and kidnap?
Same
I wonder the same because the GF asked for him not to be put in prison. If he really kidnapped and attacked her, she wouldn't do that

AriGhold
08-22-2012, 11:41 AM
For what?

for being the scum of this section

Tony_S
08-22-2012, 11:43 AM

tempted to neg for rep begging

roadtrippin
08-22-2012, 11:44 AM
for being the scum of this sectionscum? lol stop being ridiculous.

brb_ballin
08-22-2012, 11:46 AM
scum? lol stop being ridiculous.

ya what's lower than scum?

well you're that.

roadtrippin
08-22-2012, 11:47 AM
ya what's lower than scum?

well you're that.I would say I'm a few notches above most posters in this section (srs)

Phil9
08-22-2012, 12:53 PM
The "I'm not finished" had me rolling.

Trapstar4.4
08-22-2012, 01:01 PM
havent seen the vid yet, but lets be honest, when the kid got the news, he had visions of forced buttsex going through his head.

namean
08-22-2012, 01:47 PM

For what?lmao
would rep if i were a mod," i was unfairly negged" hahahaha

SirWisdom
08-22-2012, 01:51 PM
woman judge

Hoop_Dreams
08-22-2012, 01:54 PM
Sorta felt sympathetic, but then I dug further:

He then told the judge, "I'm really not a bad kid," and asked for the chance to finish his senior year in high school so he could earn a basketball scholarship.

But Barker reminded him that the security video from the apartment building shows him kicking Lane in the head as she cowers in a corner.
"You can see the fear on her face," the judge said.

P51
08-22-2012, 02:08 PM
I can't believe the people in this topic.... He deserves jail time. He beat the **** out of chick, kicking her head in and stuff.

DerrickRose1
08-22-2012, 02:14 PM
if he was an nba player he wouldnt go to jail

DiamondXXL
08-22-2012, 02:14 PM
The dude deserves the death sentence, 3 years is nothing for what he did. You people are too soft on scum.

YesWayNoWeigh
08-22-2012, 02:19 PM
Sorta felt sympathetic, but then I dug further:dont feel bad for him now, in for video

Clives_Bicep
08-22-2012, 03:33 PM
It is sad but how can you blame anyone else except the kid? I've gone through tough break-ups but none of them pushed me toward "kidnapping, felonious assault and other crimes." I do agree 3 years is pretty harsh though...

he was caught on tape doing it in a parking lot, for felony kidnapping and assault, 3 years is pretty light lol

he's going to be a bitch in prison!

Future24
08-22-2012, 05:00 PM
oh so you are one of the many sports misc rape apologists, too?

it sucks, but at least we can get a nice gif out of it all.

No but after that kid who was supposed to go to USC was wrongly convicted I don't jump to conclusions.

Read the quote a couple posts down (on phone so no multiquote) and the kid deserves more

YesWayNoWeigh
08-22-2012, 05:08 PM
link to surveillance vid

http://fox8.com/2012/08/22/i-team-surveillance-video-captured-violent-attack-by-farmer/

tnel00
08-22-2012, 05:09 PM
kid deserves the sentence based on what he did

I OuTsiDeR I
08-22-2012, 05:52 PM
I can't believe the people in this topic.... He deserves jail time. He beat the **** out of chick, kicking her head in and stuff. At first I wasn't sure but after seeing the video clearly this guy deserves it. Glad the judge didn't cave in.

All choices and actions lead to consequences whether good or bad. Kids need to learn this and hes learning it the hard way. He must of thought he was going to get a slap on the wrist or something like community service.

Hardcore_D00d
08-22-2012, 06:29 PM
Should've thought about it before he committed those crimes.

DCocK
08-22-2012, 06:35 PM
what a stupid ******

OnfiyA
08-22-2012, 06:37 PM
It is sad but how can you blame anyone else except the kid? I've gone through tough break-ups but none of them pushed me toward "kidnapping, felonious assault and other crimes."

Edit: Saw video of beat down, kid deserves more time

This, "kid had a ****ty lawyer" what the **** is that suppose to mean?

Kid made some ****ty decisions and there was some repercussions

Tes45
08-22-2012, 07:16 PM
First charge, not sure how Ohio's penal system is set up, but he'll probably parole out in 16-24 months.

Extremely lenient sentence for the charges he racked up.

Mac_xX
08-22-2012, 07:24 PM
he was caught on tape doing it in a parking lot, for felony kidnapping and assault, 3 years is pretty light lol

he's going to be a bitch in prison!

He's 6'7 and pretty built. I doubt he will be a bitch.

ISeeNoChanges
08-22-2012, 07:35 PM
My major problem with this all is this. If he simply receives probation or something, he can get a high school education, will be able to go to college and get 4-5 years there, and hopefully will become a productive member of society as a college graduate. However, sending him to jail will almost certainly do the complete opposite of that. Was dishing out 3 years for what he did necessary? I haven't seen the video but it still seems excessively harsh, as if the judge was trying to make an example out of him. Race also almost certainly was a factor in his sentencing as well. White female judge coming down hard on a black teen with a bright future. Nothing new there.

robfromlbc
08-22-2012, 07:48 PM
when will these dudes learn
DONT FUKK WITH BLACK CHICKS IF YOU A BLACK BALLER
i swear man smh

YesWayNoWeigh
08-22-2012, 08:04 PM
saw marcusd was newest post, came in expecting marcus d gif

Masstastic
08-22-2012, 08:19 PM
My major problem with this all is this. If he simply receives probation or something, he can get a high school education, will be able to go to college and get 4-5 years there, and hopefully will become a productive member of society as a college graduate. However, sending him to jail will almost certainly do the complete opposite of that. Was dishing out 3 years for what he did necessary? I haven't seen the video but it still seems excessively harsh, as if the judge was trying to make an example out of him. Race also almost certainly was a factor in his sentencing as well. White female judge coming down hard on a black teen with a bright future. Nothing new there.

He had to get time for this.

They had video of the ****. That was enough to convict him.

Masstastic
08-22-2012, 08:24 PM
He's 6'7 and pretty built. I doubt he will be a bitch.

This.

He'll be as fine as he can be during that sentence. They'll probably have him in PC.

Masstastic
08-22-2012, 08:30 PM
First charge, not sure how Ohio's penal system is set up, but he'll probably parole out in 16-24 months.

Extremely lenient sentence for the charges he racked up.

Not even 16-24 months, that would pretty much mean he did 1/2 the sentence.

He'll be out in 7-12 months. The first parole hearing and he's out.

If he was in Maryland they would've gave him 3 years but suspended the sentence for all but 6 months because its no point putting dudes like him in prison when you have real criminals out in the streets.

ISeeNoChanges
08-22-2012, 08:32 PM
He had to get time for this.

They had video of the ****. That was enough to convict him.
Yeah but 3 years, especially at this moment in his life? I haven't seen the video, don't know where to find it. But still, you're basically ruining this kids future. Yeah it's his mistake. The girl was probably also responsible but that doesn't matter, it was still a mistake he made and he should pay for it. Does he deserve to pay his future for it? Does he deserve to pay his high school AND college education for it? Why wasn't probation or 6 months not enough? The punishment doesn't fit the crime in my opinion. Now instead of having a kid with an education and possible future career playing basketball, he'll have a criminal record, struggle to find a job, and most likely will make a downward spiral through his experience in prison.

roadtrippin
08-22-2012, 08:42 PM
saw marcusd was newest post, came in expecting marcus d gifgood gifs he makes. bears fan he is. do not want (unless gifs)

Ecnewyx
08-22-2012, 09:03 PM
Yeah but 3 years, especially at this moment in his life? I haven't seen the video, don't know where to find it. But still, you're basically ruining this kids future. Yeah it's his mistake. The girl was probably also responsible but that doesn't matter, it was still a mistake he made and he should pay for it. Does he deserve to pay his future for it? Does he deserve to pay his high school AND college education for it? Why wasn't probation or 6 months not enough? The punishment doesn't fit the crime in my opinion. Now instead of having a kid with an education and possible future career playing basketball, he'll have a criminal record, struggle to find a job, and most likely will make a downward spiral through his experience in prison.

So... if a 18-year old commits a violent felony, we should just give him probation so he can continue with high school and college and become a productive member of society.

Sounds legit. No repercussions necessary. Continue with your violent and felonious ways.

We should just do away with prison sentences and punishment altogether. Why should 18-year olds receive special treatment?

Commit violent assault if you're 23? Should you be denied the chance to go to grad school? What about if you're 30? Why should we punish you and keep you from a lucrative and productive career?

Or another possible idea: don't commit felonies.

Masstastic
08-22-2012, 09:05 PM

His life isn't over. Its not like he got a Bud Mackey sentence.

The judge gave him 3 years because he had to be punished in some way with evidence right there and present on video. If there was no video, it becomes a "He said, She said" thing and he would've been able to walk away with probation for it due to his status.

Video is here: http://fox8.com/2012/08/22/i-team-surveillance-video-captured-violent-attack-by-farmer/

Doubt he'll serve the full 3 but you had to sentence him to time for it.

I think in the end his wakeup call will come from the surprise of getting a 3 year sentence and thinking his chance at a basketball career is over because of it, only for him to do like 10 months and be set free. When he gets out he can always go play Juco somewhere for 2 years, get a AD, and then transfer to play D1 basketball.

You can guarantee he wont ever walk foul of the law with what just happened to him.

Ecnewyx
08-22-2012, 09:12 PM

You are now aware that a second degree felony in Ohio carries a mandatory prison sentence of 2-8 years. But I guess a "white judge" giving a "black teen with a bright future" 3 years was clearly being excessively harsh and obviously was racially motivated. She was obviously trying to make an example of him.

It's okay. You hadn't seen the video. I'm sure you didn't know the law.

But why should that stop you from running your mouth in ignorance and jumping to conclusions?

Congratulations.

Yours is the dumbest post I have read recently here on the Misc.

http://images.blippitt.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Daily-Life-GIFs-17-Sarcastic-Clapping.gif

Masstastic
08-22-2012, 09:20 PM
So... if a 18-year old commits a violent felony, we should just give him probation so he can continue with high school and college and become a productive member of society.

Sounds legit. No repercussions necessary. Continue with your violent and felonious ways.

We should just do away with prison sentences and punishment altogether. Why should 18-year olds receive special treatment?

Commit violent assault if you're 23? Should you be denied the chance to go to grad school? What about if you're 30? Why should we punish you and keep you from a lucrative and productive career?

Or another possible idea: don't commit felonies.

You have a point.

However, there is a difference between what he did and someone doing this to a random person on the street in commission of an actual robbery/kidnapping. Those are 2 of the charges he racked up. No actual kidnapping occured and neither did an actual robbery, but the video allows for him to be charged & convicted with that.

You do have to realize that all cases are different. What he did & what happened on the video is a kid making a dumb decision over passion that results in some kind of punishment from the courts, however he isn't a hardened criminal who deserves a long sentence because they're a danger to society.

While you may think its a ridiculous standard, people who have a perceived "future" do have higher value in the real world. It seems to be in the court system that people find the hard truth out that exists around them. If you're a person who has a lot of potential/talent, you hold a higher value than some person who doesn't really have a niche in society. Basketball may not be on par to you with someone who is a budding molecular biologist, but the truth is only a handful of people his age can do what he does. Thats why he has a "future" in basketball. Thats why he got 3 years instead of 15 years. Thats why his story is on the news and isn't just another day in the courtroom.

Foxy Ronnie
08-22-2012, 09:21 PM
http://www.abload.de/img/igot5years01k1p.gif (http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=igot5years01k1p.gif)

http://www.abload.de/img/igot5years2sjk8f.gif (http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=igot5years2sjk8f.gif)

fuuuuuuark lold hard

Masstastic
08-22-2012, 09:23 PM
You are now aware that a second degree felony in Ohio carries a mandatory prison sentence of 2-8 years. But I guess a "white judge" giving a "black teen with a bright future" 3 years was clearly being excessively harsh and obviously was racially motivated. She was obviously trying to make an example of him.

It's okay. You hadn't seen the video. I'm sure you didn't know the law.

But why should that stop you from running your mouth in ignorance and jumping to conclusions?

Congratulations.

Yours is the dumbest post I have read recently here on the Misc.

http://images.blippitt.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Daily-Life-GIFs-17-Sarcastic-Clapping.gif
Wow.

Didn't know it was a mandatory sentence.

Now I gotta wonder how he didn't just take a plea deal.

roadtrippin
08-22-2012, 09:25 PM
I still think this is the funniest part of the article:

The 6-foot-7 forward had been hoping to receive probation after teachers, coaches and family members testified on his behalf.

fcking lmaoooooo

Ecnewyx
08-22-2012, 09:27 PM
While you may think its a ridiculous standard, people who have a perceived "future" do have higher value in the real world. It seems to be in the court system that people find the hard truth out that exists around them. If you're a person who has a lot of potential/talent, you hold a higher value than some person who doesn't really have a niche in society. Basketball may not be on par to you with someone who is a budding molecular biologist, but the truth is only a handful of people his age can do what he does. Thats why he has a "future" in basketball. Thats why he got 3 years instead of 15 years. Thats why his story is on the news and isn't just another day in the courtroom.

Actually I don't disagree with you. Which is why I'm not outraged that he got 3 instead of 8. Or if he got 2 instead of 8.

I would be outraged if he got 6 months probation instead of 2 years in prison though. 6 months probation isn't a punishment.

Because I don't care if he's the next Stephen Hawking or the next Michael Jordan. That's not a free pass to break the law nor is it, or should it be, a get out of jail free card.

Oh, you can present a grand unified theory? Well, go right ahead sir and commit all the rape and murders and assaults you want!

Wow.

Didn't know it was a mandatory sentence.

Now I gotta wonder how he didn't just take a plea deal.

Most felonies are.

Now, occasionally that becomes a problem. There was a fairly well-known case in Arizona (I believe) where teens were drunk and tipping over tombstones like teenage phaggots tend to do, and accidentally and unknowingly tipped over a tombstone onto a homeless guy who was sleeping there and killed him. They had their angus peppered because of mandatory sentencing for homicide.

Is that fair? It's debatable. I'm probably personally more in favor of sentencing guidelines than leaving it to the judge's discretion however. This way, even the most racist and vindictive judge could only have given him 8 years, instead of say, 15 or 20 or some other arbitrary number. At the same time, the most lenient judge who also is a Michigan State alumnus wouldn't be able to get away with giving him probation or house arrest or some bull****. The law says 2-8 (usually with guidelines as to what factors make it 8 and what factors make it 2 such as the age of the defendant, etc.)

Edit:

Sports-related note: that's why Plax plead guilty to a lesser sentence, because if he had been convicted under the charge there was a mandatory minimum of I think 3 years.

Masstastic
08-22-2012, 09:42 PM
Actually I don't disagree with you. Which is why I'm not outraged that he got 3 instead of 8. Or if he got 2 instead of 8.

I would be outraged if he got 6 months probation instead of 2 years in prison though. 6 months probation isn't a punishment.

And I don't care if he's the next Stephen Hawking or the next Michael Jordan. That's not a free pass to break the law nor is it, or should it be, a get out of jail free card.

Oh, you can present a grand unified theory? Well, go right ahead sir and commit all the rape and murders and assaults you want!

The guy committed a crime here. That is understood.

But I dont think the likes of him should be serving extended time in prison(mandatory 3 years is too much) for what he did compared to the people who are actually dangers to society as a whole. I know the likes of people his age who need to be locked away for people 50 miles away to sleep easy at night and a kid like Tony Farmer who has/had something going for him isn't one of those guys. His ignorance in thinking he was going to get a light sentence like probation is pretty bad, but its obvious such a shocking sentence is the kind of wake up call he should need.

I'm willing to bet after only 3 months or so in Prison, he has a completely different outlook on life and will never put himself in a situation where he is commiting a crime. Just the shock & adjustment period is enough to do the trick.

Now the public may think he is getting off easy by being set free after a few months into a 3 year sentence, but if he never commits a crime again then it served its purpose. Making him serve the full 3 years for it is overkill, but it also leads to the chance that he comes out of prison with a destructive mindset due to bitterness setting in.

nawoc6
08-22-2012, 09:42 PM
Sad to see such a bright future wasted on such an immature and mindless act. He definitely deserves to be punished. Attacking her and then sending texts after being arrested. Kid is clearly dumb as sh!t.

Ecnewyx
08-22-2012, 09:47 PM
The guy committed a crime here. That is understood.

But I dont think the likes of him should be serving extended time in prison(mandatory 3 years is too much) for what he did compared to the people who are actually dangers to society as a whole. I know the likes of people his age who need to be locked away for people 50 miles away to sleep easy at night and a kid like Tony Farmer who has/had something going for him isn't one of those guys. His ignorance in thinking he was going to get a light sentence like probation is pretty bad, but its obvious such a shocking sentence is the kind of wake up call he should need.

I'm willing to bet after only 3 months or so in Prison, he has a completely different outlook on life and will never put himself in a situation where he is commiting a crime. Just the shock & adjustment period is enough to do the trick.

Now the public may think he is getting off easy by being set free after a few months into a 3 year sentence, but if he never commits a crime again then it served its purpose. Making him serve the full 3 years for it is overkill, but it also leads to the chance that he comes out of prison with a destructive mindset due to bitterness setting in.

We can agree to disagree, though I'll note that I never actually disagreed with you previously in this thread.

When the Judge revisits his sentence in 6 months, it's possible he'll be granted parole for the remainder of the 3 years. Or the sentence will be reduced.

As to whether he is a "danger to society as a whole", I'm not sure you or I are in the position to determine that.

As far as I'm concerned, a basketball prep star who waits for and violently assaults his girlfriend repeatedly in her apartment lobby (as in the video) is no different from a heroin-addict dropout who waits for and violently assaults his girlfriend repeatedly in her apartment lobby. At least, as far as the "potential danger to society" metric is concerned. Of course, I'd be willing to cut people breaks depending on their age, previous criminal history, etc.

But unless your suggestion is that because he is a basketball talent he is somehow precluded from being a danger to society, I'm not sure your earlier point has much merit. But I don't believe you'd make such a foolish suggestion or inference.

Masstastic
08-22-2012, 09:47 PM
Sad to see such a bright future wasted on such an immature and mindless act. He definitely deserves to be punished. Attacking her and then sending texts after being arrested. Kid is clearly dumb as sh!t.

Its called a crime of passion.

Pussy has brought even great men of moral character/judgement to their knees.

I will never become a victim. I will always use the right to use my right hand.

Masstastic
08-22-2012, 10:02 PM
We can agree to disagree, though I'll note that I never actually disagreed with you previously in this thread.

When the Judge revisits his sentence in 6 months, it's possible he'll be granted parole for the remainder of the 3 years. Or the sentence will be reduced.

But a crime is a crime. As to whether he is a "danger to society as a whole", I'm not sure you or I are in the position to determine that. Unless your suggestion is that because he is a basketball talent he is somehow precluded from being a danger to society? But I don't believe you'd make such a foolish suggestion or inference.

Yes, I am making that inference.

A person with so much potential on the basketball floor is NOT a danger to society.

I'm speaking entirely off of his sentencing and this is unrelated to the potential every man/woman has to do something destructive. Thats your counter so I'm just acknowledging it before you have to.

This kid had offers from Michigan State, DePaul, etc....he's not going to be shooting people on the street over a gang beef or robbing tourists.

My basis for this is you just dont hear stories of HS-level athletes racking up charges left and right for violent crimes like others do. You might hear about it for a few college players who end up doing something stupid off-campus, but not people his age. I thinks its because they have a focus on sports and they believe in some sort of dream will come true for them. Once that dream bubble of being a professional athlete gets popped, whenever it does, all bets are off on predicting the direction their life goes.

Summary of long post:

I think he deserved to be punished, I still feel bad for him.

JMath
08-22-2012, 10:09 PM

A person with so much potential on the basketball floor is NOT a danger to society.

I'm speaking entirely off of his sentencing and this is unrelated to the potential every man/woman has to do something destructive. Thats your counter so I'm just acknowledging it before you have to.

This kid had offers from Michigan State, DePaul, etc....he's not going to be shooting people on the street over a gang beef or robbing tourists.

My basis for this is you just dont hear stories of HS-level athletes racking up charges left and right for violent crimes like others do. You might hear about it for a few college players who end up doing something stupid off-campus, but not people his age. I thinks its because they have a focus on sports and they believe in some sort of dream will come true for them. Once that dream bubble of being a professional athlete gets popped, whenever it does, all bets are off on predicting the direction their life goes.

Summary of long post:

This was not a crime of passion. This was a premeditated attack. A crime of passion would have been if she broke up with him and then he immediately went into a violent rage. The guy knew what he was doing, and planned it out.

He is obviously a danger to society. Maybe not on a grand scale, I doubt he will be shooting people in the streets. But if you make him mad he will obviously not hesitate to assault you. Giving him too much more leniency than he received would just given him the belief that he can get away with it. It sucks, because maybe college basketball would have helped him mature. But maybe he would also become one of the millionaire athletes that constantly get into trouble too.

Masstastic
08-22-2012, 10:27 PM
This was not a crime of passion. This was a premeditated attack. A crime of passion would have been if she broke up with him and then he immediately went into a violent rage. The guy knew what he was doing, and planned it out.

She broke up with him, then he goes to her apartment and starts attacking her over the break-up.

The story reads he even started sending her text messages after he attacked her (the attack on video) about how much more he wanted to do to her. That isn't a logical step at all after you just got finished beating her.

Either he's insane or in love.

Not trying to downplay domestic violence by saying its a "crime of passion", but this situation did not happen to a random person. Just my 22 cents.

newtmiscer
08-22-2012, 10:36 PM
glad roadtrippin is red but im not sure how masstastic has so many reps...

Masstastic
08-22-2012, 10:38 PM
glad roadtrippin is red but im not sure how masstastic has so many reps...

http://i.imgur.com/hyNYm.gif

roadtrippin
08-22-2012, 10:51 PM
glad roadtrippin is red but im not sure how masstastic has so many reps...i was turned red last night from a mod neg

Ecnewyx
08-23-2012, 06:49 AM

That's not my counter. That's retarded as hell.

My counterargument is that person who lays in wait for and violently assaults his girlfriend repeatedly in her apartment lobby is a potential danger to society.

Your argument that this speciifc person who has basketball potential isn't, is already invalid because he has shown himself to be such a danger. What is unknown is whether or not he will continue to be such a danger. But your argument that he won't because he has "basketball potential" is... .

Otherwise this is your argument:

- I'm a pro-football player.
- I corner some guy in his home and beat him repeatedly.
- But I won't corner some guy in his home again and beat him repeatedly in the future because I'm a pro-football player lol.

But if you don't understand how poor an argument that is; agree to disagree.

But will he lay in wait and violently assault his next ex-girlfriend?

This makes no sense, but already discussed above.

The only possible argument you have is that he isn't a danger to "society" so much as he's a danger to "women that go out with him." As in: a guy who beats his wife isn't a danger to society because society (you or me) isn't his wife.

That would make some sense, I guess. Feel free to adopt that argument in the future. :D

Summary of long post:

Sure, you can feel bad for him. There's no accounting for sympathy. People also feel bad for the guy who shot up the Colorado theater.

Not that this is the same situation, but perhaps we should cut Mr. Holmes a break as well?

My basis for this is you just dont hear stories of senior level scientists and mathematicians racking up charges left and right for violent crimes like others do. You might hear about it for a few graduate students who end up doing something stupid off-campus, but not people his age. I thinks its because they have a focus on science and they believe in some sort of dream will come true for them. Once that dream bubble of being a professional scientist gets popped, whenever it does, all bets are off on predicting the direction their life goes.

Seems logical, right?

(In no way am I insinuating that this guy and Mr. Holmes are on some equal footing, but this is only to illustrate how fundamentally flawed your logic is in assuming that someone who has already committed a crime will somehow never commit the crime again on the basis of his profession/potential/reputation.)

Not trying to downplay domestic violence by saying its a "crime of passion", but this situation did not happen to a random person. Just my 22 cents.

JMath's point was that "crime of passion" is a term of art.

Murdering your wife in a fit of rage because you catch her in bed with her tennis instructor is a "crime of passion".

Following your wife to the tennis instructor's house because you suspect them of sleeping together then murdering her after you find evidence of her cheating is not a "'crime of passion".

It has nothing to do with whether the "victim" was a random person, or whether relationships were involved, or whether love was involved.

MA5Bergey
08-23-2012, 07:29 AM
Its called a crime of passion.

Pussy has brought even great men of moral character/judgement to their knees.

I will never become a victim. I will always use the right to use my right hand.

It's still a crime. A rational man would have removed himself from the situation. There have been plenty of times where I was so angry I literally was shaking from the adrenaline and could hardly breathe. Does that mean that in each of those situations, I had a right to find the closest woman, beat her to the ground, kick her in the head and drag her by her hair all over the place? No. The kid deserves what he got and probably even more.

jkeithc82
08-23-2012, 07:41 AM
Lots of brolawyering in this thread.

Ecnewyx
08-23-2012, 07:47 AM
Lots of brolawyering in this thread.

I have a brolawyering degree from a top 200 law school. And I got a B+ in Brorts.

SpartacusNYC
08-23-2012, 07:57 AM
I lol'd hard.

What a f*cking moron.

Just because he can put a ball in a hoop people think they should go easy on him? LOL

F*ck that kid.

J2BDifferent
08-23-2012, 08:24 AM
I wonder what the girl put him through to act that way. Not saying he isn't in the wrong but bitches can do evil things to a man and make him go crazy, especially if said man is a beta in love.

Highly doubt her serves entire sentence

Tes45
08-23-2012, 08:31 AM
Not even 16-24 months, that would pretty much mean he did 1/2 the sentence.

He'll be out in 7-12 months. The first parole hearing and he's out.

If he was in Maryland they would've gave him 3 years but suspended the sentence for all but 6 months because its no point putting dudes like him in prison when you have real criminals out in the streets.

Violent charges typically come up for parole later, not like drug or theft charges that you can do 10-25% on and parole out. Getting 35% on felony assault and domestic battery would be a miraculous deal and that would still put him at 12-14 months til his first parole hearing.

Betting he does 50% at the absolute minimum which'll be 18 months. Some states have mandatory 85-100% laws for violent felonies too. Also depends on if the prison has a program he can get in to walk the time down a little faster.

AhDo
08-23-2012, 08:42 AM

He is obviously a danger to society. Maybe not on a grand scale, I doubt he will be shooting people in the streets. But if you make him mad he will obviously not hesitate to assault you. Giving him too much more leniency than he received would just given him the belief that he can get away with it. It sucks, because maybe college basketball would have helped him mature. But maybe he would also become one of the millionaire athletes that constantly get into trouble too.
if it was premeditated he wouldn't have gotten caught on camera or attacked her in a public place. Lettuce be cereal he's too dumb to actually be a threat to society.

ThePoz
08-23-2012, 08:54 AM
if it was premeditated he wouldn't have gotten caught on camera or attacked her in a public place. Lettuce be cereal he's too dumb to actually be a threat to society.

Obviously he's not the sharpest tool in the shed. That doesn't mean he didn't plan it.

Tes45
08-23-2012, 09:38 AM

How the **** can your mind not realize that waiting on someone to come back to their apartment building and attacking them as soon as they walk through the door is the definition of a premeditated assault and battery?

Ecnewyx
08-23-2012, 10:11 AM
How the **** can your mind not realize that waiting on someone to come back to their apartment building and attacking them as soon as they walk through the door is the definition of a premeditated assault and battery?

He thinks premediated means having an elaborate plan like in Mission Impossible with all sorts of fallbacks and elaborate cables and wires and maybe Tom Cruise dangling from a belay rope above a computer.

namean
08-23-2012, 12:18 PM
http://www.abload.de/img/igot5years01k1p.gif (http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=igot5years01k1p.gif)

http://www.abload.de/img/igot5years2sjk8f.gif (http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=igot5years2sjk8f.gif)

hahahaha yesssssss marcus does it again!
It needs some text in the gif though.
The 2nd gif needs to say "Negged!!!" & then he collapses

ebn2002
08-23-2012, 12:35 PM
LMAO reminds me of "If you cannot afford an attorney, we will appoint you the dumbest motherfcuker on earth". You get what you pay for, his attorney told him he would get much less you can see Farmer looking at him like "WTF you said probation".

Masstastic
08-23-2012, 01:16 PM
That's not my counter. That's retarded as hell.

My counterargument is that person who lays in wait for and violently assaults his girlfriend repeatedly in her apartment lobby is a potential danger to society.

Your argument that this speciifc person who has basketball potential isn't, is already invalid because he has shown himself to be such a danger. What is unknown is whether or not he will continue to be such a danger. But your argument that he won't because he has "basketball potential" is... .

Otherwise this is your argument:

- I'm a pro-football player.
- I corner some guy in his home and beat him repeatedly.
- But I won't corner some guy in his home again and beat him repeatedly in the future because I'm a pro-football player lol.

But if you don't understand how poor an argument that is; agree to disagree.

But will he lay in wait and violently assault his next ex-girlfriend?

This makes no sense, but already discussed above.

The only possible argument you have is that he isn't a danger to "society" so much as he's a danger to "women that go out with him." As in: a guy who beats his wife isn't a danger to society because society (you or me) isn't his wife.

That would make some sense, I guess. Feel free to adopt that argument in the future. :D

Sure, you can feel bad for him. There's no accounting for sympathy. People also feel bad for the guy who shot up the Colorado theater.

Not that this is the same situation, but perhaps we should cut Mr. Holmes a break as well?

My basis for this is you just dont hear stories of senior level scientists and mathematicians racking up charges left and right for violent crimes like others do. You might hear about it for a few graduate students who end up doing something stupid off-campus, but not people his age. I thinks its because they have a focus on science and they believe in some sort of dream will come true for them. Once that dream bubble of being a professional scientist gets popped, whenever it does, all bets are off on predicting the direction their life goes.

Seems logical, right?

(In no way am I insinuating that this guy and Mr. Holmes are on some equal footing, but this is only to illustrate how fundamentally flawed your logic is in assuming that someone who has already committed a crime will somehow never commit the crime again on the basis of his profession/potential/reputation.)

JMath's point was that "crime of passion" is a term of art.

Murdering your wife in a fit of rage because you catch her in bed with her tennis instructor is a "crime of passion".

Following your wife to the tennis instructor's house because you suspect them of sleeping together then murdering her after you find evidence of her cheating is not a "'crime of passion".

It has nothing to do with whether the "victim" was a random person, or whether relationships were involved, or whether love was involved.

Oooooh.

namean
08-23-2012, 02:32 PM
Good kids dont just stomp & beat defensless people lulz

ryantodd7
08-23-2012, 03:08 PM

anyone have this one that was made yesterday in the misc section with the hnggggg text? will give some measleys if anyone saved it, was so lulzy