PDA

View Full Version : constantly hungry!

zeeynepp
08-22-2012, 06:55 AM
Hi all,

So I've been eating at a deficit about 130-1400 cals a day. When I decided to get fit again a few months ago I was pretty much doing only cardio all the time and I never felt like this. However, I have started lifting heavier than I have ever been for about 6-8weeks and in the past 2-3 weeks I just feel like I am constantly hungry. I try to organise my meals around the time when I know I start feeling super hungry (which is usually at night after I've had dinner) but it doesn't really help. Is this normal???

erinlee01
08-22-2012, 06:57 AM
How big of a deficit are you at? Did you calculate your caloric needs? And what is your macro breakdown?

deltafrce
08-22-2012, 07:04 AM
don't know if this will help you out at all, but i used to feel like this when i was wrestling in middle and high school. i found it was more of a stomach acid thing more than being hungry. i would pop a couple of tums and it would go away.

zeeynepp
08-22-2012, 07:09 AM
How big of a deficit are you at? Did you calculate your caloric needs? And what is your macro breakdown?

maintenance is at 1800 so about 400-500 cals, depending on how my day is going...

Macros are:
40-45g fat
carbs 110-130g
protein between 100-120g

hellokatie1618
08-22-2012, 09:34 AM
I felt hungry all of the time for a good two months. The only way I really could remedy it was eating snacks that were almost no calories whatsoever. So I would munch on cherry tomatoes, or blueberries or raspberries all of the time without wracking up too many calories.

kimm4
08-22-2012, 06:55 PM
maintenance is at 1800 so about 400-500 cals, depending on how my day is going...

Macros are:
40-45g fat
carbs 110-130g
protein between 100-120g

Your maintenance should be around 2000-2100 calories. You're going too aggressive in your deficit. Get your calories set between 1500-1600 for steady fat loss. You could always try less meals, bigger portions to help keep you feeling fuller.

zeeynepp
08-22-2012, 09:33 PM
Your maintenance should be around 2000-2100 calories. You're going too aggressive in your deficit. Get your calories set between 1500-1600 for steady fat loss. You could always try less meals, bigger portions to help keep you feeling fuller.
I was eating 1500cals before and my personal trainer was certain that I was eating too much so she told me to cut down more. But now I feel super starving so i think I'll up the cals again for my own sanity. And I will give the bigger meals a go- thanks for the help! :)

zeeynepp
08-22-2012, 09:34 PM
I felt hungry all of the time for a good two months. The only way I really could remedy it was eating snacks that were almost no calories whatsoever. So I would munch on cherry tomatoes, or blueberries or raspberries all of the time without wracking up too many calories.
Yummmmmmmm cherry tomatoes & raspberries, got me feeling like some right now :(

LaDonnaMF
08-23-2012, 08:28 AM
I was eating 1500cals before and my personal trainer was certain that I was eating too much so she told me to cut down more. But now I feel super starving so i think I'll up the cals again for my own sanity. And I will give the bigger meals a go- thanks for the help! :)

Sounds fishy to me. Maybe she wanted to you to drop more cals so you would be all "omg I've lost so much weight" meanwhile you're starving yourself and messing up your body so she looks good.

Maybe look into a new trainer?

kimm4
08-23-2012, 10:54 AM

Not all personal trainers specialize in nutrition, they somewhat wing it so to speak. The more you lose and the closer to your goal, the harder it will become. 1300-1400 isn't unheard of. Most would throw in a few small refeeds when going that low, but it's too soon and you're not at that point yet.

flyingeek
08-23-2012, 11:39 AM
OK, I am not eating at a deficit atm so I might be talking out of turn.
But I add chia seed meal and flax seed meal as well as kelp to my protein shake.
That helps feeling full longer as well as a bunch of other benefits from it.

zeeynepp
08-23-2012, 09:33 PM
Sounds fishy to me. Maybe she wanted to you to drop more cals so you would be all "omg I've lost so much weight" meanwhile you're starving yourself and messing up your body so she looks good.

Maybe look into a new trainer?

I think so, because for awhile I wasn't losing much :/ She quit at the gym I'm at so she's not my trainer anymore, so I guess I don't have to worry about that? lol

torrelee
08-23-2012, 10:44 PM
I feel starving when I don't drink enough water and find myself eating everything in my house... I try drinking water during the day before I snack. I only started lifting a couple of months ago, but also find that I'm hungry much more often then when I wasn't lifting, but was doing a ton of cardio. I just picked up some muscle pharm combat powder (mix of different types of protein that is supposed to slow release over a period of 8 hours) and am trying that out as my shake in the afternoon/evening. So far its helping with the hungry hungry hippo effect :)

tanyajay
08-23-2012, 11:00 PM
So weird, I just asked a question in Over-35s related to the cardio/satiety thing. I've read that cardio increases most women's appetites, but it's so not true for me.

I find it impossible to have any quality of life by cutting calories through diet.

I'd prefer not to spend the time on cardio, and it's making things hard as a beginner/returner in terms of recovery, but without any at all, I just can't deal.

Not a bad thing in terms of general fitness and heart health, but not great for progress in terms of strength and body composition, I assume?

zeeynepp
08-24-2012, 07:57 AM
I feel starving when I don't drink enough water and find myself eating everything in my house... I try drinking water during the day before I snack. I only started lifting a couple of months ago, but also find that I'm hungry much more often then when I wasn't lifting, but was doing a ton of cardio. I just picked up some muscle pharm combat powder (mix of different types of protein that is supposed to slow release over a period of 8 hours) and am trying that out as my shake in the afternoon/evening. So far its helping with the hungry hungry hippo effect :)

I know I definitely drink enough water- at east 2.5litres a day. I don't know, cardio just doesn't make me hungry at all :/ how long have you been using the muscle pharm stuff for?

zeeynepp
08-24-2012, 08:00 AM
So weird, I just asked a question in Over-35s related to the cardio/satiety thing. I've read that cardio increases most women's appetites, but it's so not true for me.

I find it impossible to have any quality of life by cutting calories through diet.

I'd prefer not to spend the time on cardio, and it's making things hard as a beginner/returner in terms of recovery, but without any at all, I just can't deal.

Not a bad thing in terms of general fitness and heart health, but not great for progress in terms of strength and body composition, I assume?

Yeah im never hungry after cardio :/ I don't do much, like 1 sometimes 2 days of intense cardio a week but other than that I hate it! I'll do like 15mins on the treadmill or elliptical machine after lifting but I dread it. But my trainer was telling me to keep doing cardio cos it's good for my overall health, but unless I'm doing boxing or a pump class I hate it :(

strongliftsgirl
08-25-2012, 08:05 PM

Macros are:
40-45g fat
carbs 110-130g
protein between 100-120g

Honestly, my macro breakdowns are...
50g of fat.
100 carbs.
160-200g of protein,
and I'm eating 1400~. How much water are you taking in? I'm drinking at least two gallons...and that helps a lot. Hunger is part of it and plus, it depends on your environment and what you are having to deal with. Of course you're gonna be hungry around people eating cookies and stuff! Also vegetables and denser foods will help! No lie! Lol

zeeynepp
08-26-2012, 07:24 AM
50g of fat.
100 carbs.
160-200g of protein,
and I'm eating 1400~. How much water are you taking in? I'm drinking at least two gallons...and that helps a lot. Hunger is part of it and plus, it depends on your environment and what you are having to deal with. Of course you're gonna be hungry around people eating cookies and stuff! Also vegetables and denser foods will help! No lie! Lol

I struggle getting enough protein- how do you get so much?! Yeah I know, I thought that maybe I'd still feel pretty full and whatever eating at deficit, but maybe that's the whole point... I converted how much water I drink and in gallons its 0.6 (but 2.5litres in Australian measurements) so maybe I should drink more water? :/

strongliftsgirl
08-26-2012, 03:29 PM
I struggle getting enough protein- how do you get so much?! Yeah I know, I thought that maybe I'd still feel pretty full and whatever eating at deficit, but maybe that's the whole point... I converted how much water I drink and in gallons its 0.6 (but 2.5litres in Australian measurements) so maybe I should drink more water? :/

Turkey, egg whites, chicken and fish. I honestly eat maybe a scoop of protein a day. :) I drink as much water as I can handle and stick to very dense vegetables...broc**** and what not. You can do it!

LadyBigFood
08-27-2012, 01:30 PM
50g of fat.
100 carbs.
160-200g of protein,
and I'm eating 1400~. How much water are you taking in? I'm drinking at least two gallons...and that helps a lot. Hunger is part of it and plus, it depends on your environment and what you are having to deal with. Of course you're gonna be hungry around people eating cookies and stuff! Also vegetables and denser foods will help! No lie!

Lol

200g of protein @ 1400 calories/day? Your macros are way off. I think you should read the stickies before you dish out advice.

aristomeow
08-27-2012, 10:40 PM

Shouldn't be hard to get protein at all.

Canned tuna.
Beef.
Chicken.
Eggs.
Cheese.
Protein powder.
Greek yoghurt.

zeeynepp
08-28-2012, 04:08 AM
Shouldn't be hard to get protein at all.

Canned tuna.
Beef.
Chicken.
Eggs.
Cheese.
Protein powder.
Greek yoghurt.

I thought I was supposed to be getting 200g like strongliftsgirl but ladybigfood just pointed out that that was a bit off, so I guess I am getting enough :) & Greek yoghurt mmmmm nomnomnom