PDA

View Full Version : Problem with my sister

IrishJack89
08-21-2012, 04:41 AM
Hey girls, said this would be the best place for advice. Basically my sister is pretty overweight and has been practically all her life. She's tried to lose weight and weighs herself id say twice a day. It frustrates me watching her cause at 19 I can understand how sensitive an issue it can be and how cruel lads can be. I really want to help her and have a good knowledge of weight loss from my training but I'm afraid to chat to her about for fear she'll lose the rag, I wonder should I leave well enough alone as its not really my business or is there a way I could approach the issue. All advice much appreciated!

Euqinom
08-21-2012, 04:54 AM
All you can do is offer that she can come to you for advice, and invite her to do something active on a regular basis. Maybe hiking will be a great way to spend girls time, and it will get her moving at a low intensity. But I'm sceptical about the real solution here, I mean, there is definitely a reason she's overweight, be it medical or because of personal issues, both stuff she has to look into herself.

IzzieStorm
08-21-2012, 09:55 AM
Right now, there really isn't anything that you can do. You have to wait for her to come to you because otherwise, she most likely will get upset and defensive. I think that, as Euqinom suggested, inviting her out to do something on a regular basis maybe be something you can do, or possibly share some recipes. But, in the end, only she can make the changes when she's ready. It's difficult to sit by and watch, especially at such a young age, but she has to want to make the changes herself.

yogadancefit123
08-21-2012, 10:02 AM
I agree with IzzieStorm. The best thing you can do is set an awesome example. Tell her why you work out, how good it makes you feel, how eating right makes you have better energy, etc. Not too obviously though, just saying that through setting an example there's a good chance she will catch on on her own and make an independent decision (the best kind)

D-Nutt
08-21-2012, 10:03 AM
I liked your approach, OP. Play the sensitive and caring big brother to gain the female bb'ers attention and sympathy. You really had them eating out of the palm of your hands too. Until you threw out 'LOSE THE RAG'. Perhaps this is an Irish phrase I'm not familiar with (I'm going to go on the record here and say that I love it by the way), but I think the female bb'ers lost the Awwww factor when you threw that out. You had their panties dropped and they pulled them back up.

latebloomingmom
08-21-2012, 10:06 AM
I assummed it meant getting upset...

IrishJack89
08-21-2012, 10:16 AM
I liked your approach, OP. Play the sensitive and caring big brother to gain the female bb'ers attention and sympathy. You really had them eating out of the palm of your hands too. Until you threw out 'LOSE THE RAG'. Perhaps this is an Irish phrase I'm not familiar with (I'm going to go on the record here and say that I love it by the way), but I think the female bb'ers lost the Awwww factor when you threw that out. You had their panties dropped and they pulled them back up.
WTF? Lay off the juice ya skitso..

Thanks for the reply girls, but ya she's went to see a professional about it but it s a topic that she only talks about with the mother. Its just frustrating knowing how sensitive she is about it yet watching her do nothing about it and she's impossible to talk to because she gets thick over everything. But ya maybe encouraging her to come play sports and that might help but at the end of the day you can do all the exercise ya want but if your not eating right then theres not much hope.
Anyways I'll leave it at that before a few more paranoid idiots come on running their mouth.
Cheers for the other replies though!

gailh
08-21-2012, 04:12 PM
until shes ready to make the commitment theres not alot you can do....like the old saying goes...you can lead a horse to water, but you cant make them drink

humblegenius
08-21-2012, 09:05 PM
Tell her excuses on get results.

Thats always been enough for me.

hellokatie1618
08-22-2012, 11:31 AM
I by no means was turned on by this. What is wrong with you D-Nutt. This isn't booty call myspace.com

kimqi
08-22-2012, 12:14 PM
I would add that if there is anything she can "help" you with, some sort of activity, even if just spotting, that's good. She won't like it if you are trying to run her like a fat puppy, but everyone likes to help their loved ones out, and being around the stuff will be good for her.

PerkyNipple
08-22-2012, 02:39 PM
just dont force her but tell her that she will have a lot of health problesm in the future if she keeps it up...