PDA

View Full Version : Not eating enough?

Wannabefit99
08-18-2012, 06:35 PM
I dont honestly think im eating enough. I train 6 days a week 2x a day. Usually like this: mon/wed/fri p90x legs in the morning and at night 18-20mile bike ride (indoor cycliing) I can only do the p90x legs as i broke my knuckle 2 weeks ago and its in a cast(freak accident chin up bar fell off my door jam hit my hand) anyways i cant do upper body. Tuesday/thursdays/saturdays 10mile bike in the morning and a run at night, im currently training for a 10k and running6.29miles in 42mins...I take an active rest day sundays or mondays (depends of course) I get 8 hrs of sleep. i have a toddler..I believe im getting about 1200-1300cals a day..typical day

M1- protein oatmeal pancakes with natural pb on top and cinnamon with some fruit
M2 unsalted rice cake with natural pb,honey, shredded unsweetend coconut and cinnamon (yum)
M3- 3oz of chicken, steamed veggies of some sort, usually half a plate full, with avocado and some sort of other fresh uncooked veggies.
M4 plain unsweetened greek yogurt, chia seeds,watermelon and cinnamon,stevia
M5 6oz of baked chicken half a plate of steamed veggies or roasted brussel sprouts or mashed cauliflower as well as sweet potatoe and avocado
M6 either the rice cake or the greek yogurt pr protein shake

I also bought low cal low everything protein bars to help fill in any areas. I also drink atleast 100oz of water, no pop no juice some green tea. I dont eat added sugar rice or bread (just feel better physically i dont eat rice or bread) greek yogurt is the only dairy i have.. Eggs and chicken or turkey bacon and fish for meat sources as well..I have lost 24lbs and 14 inches in 3 months. Ive only started to train harder then before and havent lost anything in the last week..(yea i know but for the last while its been lb a week) I dont feel hungry until i workout or unless its time to eat again, with what im eating im satisfied..but i feel i need to eat more? As it could be the reason why im not losing? Or just maybe my body has to get used to a new program again? Im 5'5" 158lbs...(smallest ive been in almost 4 years)

TwistedPandora
08-18-2012, 07:41 PM
.I believe im getting about 1200-1300cals a day..typical day

Without an exact calorie count it is not possible to adjust things.

Have a good read of the nutrition stickies, and keep a log of ALL the calories you consume over a couple of weeks, then you will have a better idea of where to adjust things.

Also, not loosing anything for 1 week is not unusual during weight loss, as the loss progresses it will naturally slow down.

Wannabefit99
08-18-2012, 08:08 PM
Without an exact calorie count it is not possible to adjust things.

Have a good read of the nutrition stickies, and keep a log of ALL the calories you consume over a couple of weeks, then you will have a better idea of where to adjust things.

Also, not loosing anything for 1 week is not unusual during weight loss, as the loss progresses it will naturally slow down.

I watched my calories for 8 weeks never went over 1250 cals in a day even as hard as i could..still couldnt get over into 1500 a day

TwistedPandora
08-19-2012, 12:36 AM
Well I don't know what to tell you then if you think you need to eat more but are saying you can't eat more, either you can do what you need to do or you can't....

Only you can work out your calorie requirements really (from the stickies) and apply them to your life, then adjust them as suggested in the stickies until you get the desired result. Everyone is different so it can be trial an error to find the right amount.
Having said that I don't think changing things after not loosing for 1 week is necessary. Give it 2 weeks at least and if there is no change, or a gain then look at the calories again.

acrawlingchaos
08-19-2012, 02:46 AM
No... you are not eating enough. Your intake is unhealthy IMO.

Wannabefit99
08-19-2012, 07:35 AM
No... you are not eating enough. Your intake is unhealthy IMO.

its what its been like for the last 3 months....i can eat big platefuls of food protein veggies some fats at every meal feel full and satisfied but not get anywhere near my caloric needs...i bought the protein bars and that may just help with adding more..in a day...i could always double my protein shakes which would be 170cals 1g of fat 2g of carbs 39g of protein..

TwistedPandora
08-19-2012, 08:37 AM
Split your calories into smaller meals, and eat more often, so you are not eating "big platefuls". You should not have to feel like you are force feeding yourself!
Choose some calorie dense foods. Peanut butter is a good one, you can add it to protein shakes etc. Greek yogurt is a good protein source which is quite light to eat. Dried fruit takes much less space to eat the same number of calories as fresh. Seeds are another source of protein and good fats.

Have you checked your macros from the stickes in the nutrition section?
To make sure you are getting your calories in roughly the right ratios.
If you are too light on good fats (which are 9kcal per gram) for example, you will not be making your calories, and trying to fill the space with protein at 4 kcal per gram means you will have to eat a lot more food!

oregonchick76
08-19-2012, 11:59 AM
It is NOT hard to add 300 calories to a diet. If you are meeting your protein and carb needs, 2.5 tablespoons of PB goes down in about 1 bite.

Full fat F a g e greek yogurt is about 300 calories per serving and heavenly. Other full-fat dairy like whole milk, cream, etc. A 1/2 cup serving of Haagen Daz is 350 calories. I could go on.

If you have been at the 1200 level for an extended period of time, it's high time to bring yourself up to maintenance or even slightly over for a few weeks. Then restart with the deficit.

Wannabefit99
08-19-2012, 12:03 PM
Split your calories into smaller meals, and eat more often, so you are not eating "big platefuls". You should not have to feel like you are force feeding yourself!
Choose some calorie dense foods. Peanut butter is a good one, you can add it to protein shakes etc. Greek yogurt is a good protein source which is quite light to eat. Dried fruit takes much less space to eat the same number of calories as fresh. Seeds are another source of protein and good fats.

Have you checked your macros from the stickes in the nutrition section?
To make sure you are getting your calories in roughly the right ratios.
If you are too light on good fats (which are 9kcal per gram) for example, you will not be making your calories, and trying to fill the space with protein at 4 kcal per gram means you will have to eat a lot more food!

I eat 5-6 meals a day as stated above..big the three main meals are big platefula of veggies plus some protein and fat..i eat pb every day and greek yogurt...im eating everything everyone else eats

TwistedPandora
08-19-2012, 01:30 PM
I eat 5-6 meals a day as stated above..big the three main meals are big platefula of veggies plus some protein and fat..i eat pb every day and greek yogurt...im eating everything everyone else eats

Well.. if you are eating the same as everyone else, you just clearly just need to eat more of it. I know you eat 5-6 meals, but obviously that's not working, so you have two choices, either make them bigger or add more snacks (hence my suggestion to add more 'meals') because it seemed portions were a problem.

Perhaps are getting bloated? That can cause a feeling of fullness, or taking in too much liquid/water before meals and filling your stomach.

As oregonchick76 said, adding 300cals should not take much food at all, just chuck a couple of big spoons of peanut butter or some ice cream in a protein shake, job done!

If you know what to eat, how much to eat, and your macros then there is nothing else to be said, other than pick foods you enjoy eating and go for it.

Wannabefit99
08-19-2012, 05:01 PM
Well.. if you are eating the same as everyone else, you just clearly just need to eat more of it. I know you eat 5-6 meals, but obviously that's not working, so you have two choices, either make them bigger or add more snacks (hence my suggestion to add more 'meals') because it seemed portions were a problem.

Perhaps are getting bloated? That can cause a feeling of fullness, or taking in too much liquid/water before meals and filling your stomach.

As oregonchick76 said, adding 300cals should not take much food at all, just chuck a couple of big spoons of peanut butter or some ice cream in a protein shake, job done!

If you know what to eat, how much to eat, and your macros then there is nothing else to be said, other than pick foods you enjoy eating and go for it.

thank you! yea im trying new foods, im gonna make some protein pudding, my own protein bars try different ways to eat oatmeal...i was up in the air about eating that kind of stuff, but if u watch the sugars and all i dont see anything wrong with making those kinds of stuff? beats eating chocolate bars lol

LadyBigFood
08-20-2012, 07:26 AM
thank you! yea im trying new foods, im gonna make some protein pudding, my own protein bars try different ways to eat oatmeal...i was up in the air about eating that kind of stuff, but if u watch the sugars and all i dont see anything wrong with making those kinds of stuff? beats eating chocolate bars lol

A calorie is a calorie. As long as you're hitting your macros, a chocolate bar is as good as anything else. Quite honestly, at 1200 calories a day, I think you should have a chocolate bar daily, lol. Read the stickies.

acrawlingchaos
08-20-2012, 03:01 PM
OP... are you actually counting all your macros and calories or are you just guessing/eyeballing?

fitgurl89
08-24-2012, 02:57 PM
2 workouts a day & only 1300 calories a day? crazy talk, definately up that intake!

Wannabefit99
08-25-2012, 05:00 AM
2 workouts a day & only 1300 calories a day? crazy talk, definately up that intake! i upped it to 1500 and i felt like ****..worn down didnt even have the energy to do my runs i pretty much almost puked and passed out and yes i ate all good foods and ate plenty of time b4 my workouts

TwistedPandora
08-25-2012, 07:31 AM
You are working out twice a day, 6 days a week doing a lot of cardio/endurance training. That is a lot of training if you are finding it hard to get your nutrition right.
You are going to burn out, injure yourself or end up sick quite honestly.

I seriously think that perhaps you would be wise to take a look at your training schedule, as well as your nutrition. Training is supposes to make you fitter, healthier and stronger, not have you run down and almost puking and fainting!
If you really cannot eat any more, then you seriously need to consider scaling back on the training before you damage yourself. Alternatively do some research into the nutrition for athletes training for running events and focus on training and eating in a similar way.

If your focus and goal at the moment is the run, I am sure there are runners forums etc who would be able to advise you too, as the nutrition etc for bodybuilding will be different to that for running. I watched a program about the Olympic village, and how the staff plan and prepare different meals depending on the athletes sport, and a focus on aerobic endurance sport is very different from strength and muscle building.

Wannabefit99
08-25-2012, 06:06 PM
You are working out twice a day, 6 days a week doing a lot of cardio/endurance training. That is a lot of training if you are finding it hard to get your nutrition right.
You are going to burn out, injure yourself or end up sick quite honestly.

I seriously think that perhaps you would be wise to take a look at your training schedule, as well as your nutrition. Training is supposes to make you fitter, healthier and stronger, not have you run down and almost puking and fainting!
If you really cannot eat any more, then you seriously need to consider scaling back on the training before you damage yourself. Alternatively do some research into the nutrition for athletes training for running events and focus on training and eating in a similar way.

If your focus and goal at the moment is the run, I am sure there are runners forums etc who would be able to advise you too, as the nutrition etc for bodybuilding will be different to that for running. I watched a program about the Olympic village, and how the staff plan and prepare different meals depending on the athletes sport, and a focus on aerobic endurance sport is very different from strength and muscle building.

im now at the point where im cycling one day then running the next just one workout a day..focusing more on running and have for the last week, oddly enough when i scaled back i feel worse... i have a race in 8 days so hopefully this will just get better

TwistedPandora
08-25-2012, 08:06 PM
im now at the point where im cycling one day then running the next just one workout a day..focusing more on running and have for the last week, oddly enough when i scaled back i feel worse... i have a race in 8 days so hopefully this will just get better

The folk on these boards have a lot of combined experience in nutrition and training, and generally can make suggestions which improve the issues. It seems like everything suggested makes the problems worse for you, so maybe you should see a doctor, as it sounds like your problems cannot be fixed by adjusting your training/nutrition in the usual ways.

I hope you find a solution and a way forward to improved health and fitness in the future.

natasor
08-25-2012, 08:58 PM
[Oh. my. I eat almost the same and train only 2 times a week. No puking. You workout should be enjoable
Nata 5'5 120lb, 58 y/o

Wannabefit99
08-26-2012, 10:08 AM
The folk on these boards have a lot of combined experience in nutrition and training, and generally can make suggestions which improve the issues. It seems like everything suggested makes the problems worse for you, so maybe you should see a doctor, as it sounds like your problems cannot be fixed by adjusting your training/nutrition in the usual ways.

I hope you find a solution and a way forward to improved health and fitness in the future.

I went back to the way i was eating and i feel fine i have more energy less sore did my workouts really well..so not sure

Wannabefit99
08-26-2012, 10:09 AM
[Oh. my. I eat almost the same and train only 2 times a week. No puking. You workout should be enjoable
Nata 5'5 120lb, 58 y/o

lol my Sgt from the army told me i always need to workout til i puke...means i gave it my all...i dont feel good during but i feel great after lol..im just that hard core

TwistedPandora
08-26-2012, 11:06 AM
I went back to the way i was eating and i feel fine i have more energy less sore did my workouts really well..so not sure

Well your original post was because your weight loss had stalled and you were concerned that it was down to not eating enough.
Apparently eating more has made you feel all kinds of ill, and had negative effects on your training....so I guess you will have to see if eating the 1200-1300 cals that you prefer works out in the long term for your weight loss plan, and if you have or do start/continue loosing and achieve your goal.

Just as an aside- it may be how you have been trained, but possibly not the mindset to have all the time, that you need to workout till you vomit, or feel like vomiting. I believe it is possible to be hardcore, and give training 100%+ without being that harsh on your body...but hey whatever works for you...
Me, I like to keep my breakfast in! :)

Wannabefit99
08-26-2012, 03:31 PM
Well your original post was because your weight loss had stalled and you were concerned that it was down to not eating enough.
Apparently eating more has made you feel all kinds of ill, and had negative effects on your training....so I guess you will have to see if eating the 1200-1300 cals that you prefer works out in the long term for your weight loss plan, and if you have or do start/continue loosing and achieve your goal.

Just as an aside- it may be how you have been trained, but possibly not the mindset to have all the time, that you need to workout till you vomit, or feel like vomiting. I believe it is possible to be hardcore, and give training 100%+ without being that harsh on your body...but hey whatever works for you...
Me, I like to keep my breakfast in! :)

haha i dont like to puke either blah!!! ive got to rethink my training, im wanting to run everyday i enjoy biking, my knee has bothered me for a few years and i bought a compression bandage so biking helps too..thanks for your help..

wakechica
08-26-2012, 03:38 PM
haha i dont like to puke either blah!!! ive got to rethink my training, im wanting to run everyday i enjoy biking, my knee has bothered me for a few years and i bought a compression bandage so biking helps too..thanks for your help..

I think you need a week or 2 completely off working out and just eat as much as you can. Sounds like your body needs a rest/reset.