PDA

View Full Version : Is it a mistake to have a cheat meal on a day I'm not working out?

prudenceclaire
08-17-2012, 10:18 PM
Cheat meal, treat meal, re-feed meal, whatever you want to call it.

Today I'm going for a long walk/easy jog as my only workout, does it matter if I have my [insert name here] meal today or should I wait till tomorrow when I'll do a weight session at the gym?

Miranda
08-17-2012, 10:52 PM
you're too vague.

prudenceclaire
08-18-2012, 12:27 AM
In what way?

Should I save my cheat meal for a day when I'm working out, instead of having it today when I'm not going to gym?

acrawlingchaos
08-18-2012, 01:11 AM
Are you talking about staying within your caloric range and macro range (some of it just "junk"? Are you talking about increasing your caloric intake drastically for the day? Are you talking about consuming enough to account for the long walk (100-250 cals)?

For the most part, a single day with your macros a little out of whack or cals a bit high won't make much of a difference, provided you (for the most part) adhere to your diet.

prudenceclaire
08-18-2012, 03:18 AM
Are you talking about staying within your caloric range and macro range (some of it just "junk"? Are you talking about increasing your caloric intake drastically for the day? Are you talking about consuming enough to account for the long walk (100-250 cals)?

For the most part, a single day with your macros a little out of whack or cals a bit high won't make much of a difference, provided you (for the most part) adhere to your diet.

Ahhh thanks for the clarification. I'm still new to this, so didn't even realise how my question was vague!

From my calculations it's about a 700 calorie meal so it would be going over my calories for the day. From what you've said I'm not going to stress about it, and will go ahead and enjoy it instead!

acrawlingchaos
08-18-2012, 06:03 AM
A 700 calorie splurge on a day when you are doing some extra walking won't amount to anything (especially if you're depleted). Enjoy and get back on the wagon tomorrow. :D

oregonchick76
08-18-2012, 11:50 AM
I know everybody looks at cheat/re-feed meals different here, but when I am dieting, I do like to have a 'splurge' meal/day about once every 4-5 days, which either takes me right up to maintenance for that day or maybe as much as 500 over. And probably about once per month, I allow myself a few days in a row at or slightly above maintenance. For sanity anyways. Hasn't hurt my weight loss - but my goals are modest - to lose 1/2 lb per week. I generally do my refeeds on a big hike day, because naturally after burning 2000 calories on the trail a big juicy burger sounds good!

prudenceclaire
08-18-2012, 08:18 PM
Yes I think I needed some perspective on the whole cheat meal thing. I was really worried that it's going to ruin all my hard work but in the scheme of things an extra few hundred calories once a week isn't going to send me wildly off course.

It's hard to re-train my brain from all the mainstream information I've learnt over the years: do lots of cardio, eat as few calories as possible and NEVER EVER EAT ANYTHING DELICIOUS AGAIN!!!! OR YOU WILL FAIL!!!

Or something like that...

acrawlingchaos
08-19-2012, 08:43 AM
Prudence, below is some copy pasta information I think may benefit you in reference to diet. See step 2 pertaining to diet.

Step 1: Aquire strength training program.

Program info.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=115643271
There are several basic outlines (templates) and links to some excellent novice / intermediate programs. Chose something with a higher frequency (each body part more often with less volume). Three days a week lifting is MORE than sufficient for the novice. I would suggest a full body program such as All Pros or Starting strength, though even an upper lower split could be appropriate as well.

One program not listed here, but I have seen great reviews on by some of the women here (No experience with it mysefl) is NROLFW "New Rules of Lifting for women.

Step 2: Adjust diet accordingly.

Diet info.

Determining macro and caloric needs.
http://www.emma-leigh.com/basics_calorie_needs.html
The only way to lose fat (ouside of a few circumstances), is to eat with a deficit. Following the guidelines here will also you to coordinate your diet so that you can set your macros and intake up in a manner that will allow you to preserve lean mass, gain strength, and lose fat.

Some additional suggested reading below.

"If it fits your Macros".
http://www.iifym.com/
This is a concept that you can eat whatever foods you enjoy, as long as you hit your minimum macros without going over your total intake.

Critique of the ISSN.
http://www.leangains.com/2011/04/critique-of-issn-position-stand-on-meal.html
This article will help dispel some of the most common dieting myths on timing and frequency.

Step 3: Be patient and consistent.
Even the best program and diet will fail if you quit. Developing the body you want takes a considerable amount of time. Don't hurry anything. After reading through this material, if you have any additional questions... we will be more than willing to help you dial in your training and diet. Do some investigation, research, and come back with more specific questions.

lmt245
08-19-2012, 01:28 PM
I've done it both ways and it never messed up my results! Some people like to do it on a training day while others love doing it the day before a heavy training day so there is extra carbs/glycogen to be used for a great workout! No harm either way!

shirun
08-19-2012, 04:07 PM
Cheat meals are good for you as long as they don't happen, like, every two days. I have a cheat meal once a week (on the weekend usually, when I don't work out) usually 800-1000 cals over my maintenance. Gotta love mexican food

prudenceclaire
08-19-2012, 08:23 PM
I've done it both ways and it never messed up my results! Some people like to do it on a training day while others love doing it the day before a heavy training day so there is extra carbs/glycogen to be used for a great workout! No harm either way!

Cool, good idea. My cheat food is pretty much always going to be pasta (I would eat it all day every day if I could haha) - I never thought of it as something I could actually use to fuel my next workout. Love that!

prudenceclaire
08-19-2012, 08:24 PM
Prudence, below is some copy pasta information I think may benefit you in reference to diet. See step 2 pertaining to diet.

This is awesome, thank you so much!