PDA

View Full Version : of all the sports, baseball is the one where replay reviews work best

Mogambo
08-15-2012, 05:54 PM
and yet MLB uses it the least. Most other sports, there is some judgement calls to be made.

In baseball it's about making calls, not calling penalties. It's all cut and dry.

The runner beat the throw to the base or he didn't. Video don't lie. It's simple. There is technology to call balls/strikes. What is the purpose of the umpire other than to collect a pay check. And we all know how much influence MLB's ump union has.

I'm watching my Os play the Bosox tonight. Adam Jones beats the throw to first base. Gets called out.

How is the ump supposed to see both the throw and Jones foot @ the same time to make the call?

I am a huge Bud Selig fan. I think he is a great commish. But he has been slow to act on this.

TTexasTT
08-15-2012, 07:10 PM
brb replay for check swings
brb replay "that ball was outside"

YellowOnYellow
08-15-2012, 07:12 PM

Not trying to suck his cock but he's right.

Brb having a replay for every single strike called.
Brb 6 hour long game.

TTexasTT
08-15-2012, 07:15 PM
Not trying to suck his cock but he's right.
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/18461810.jpg

Dave P
08-15-2012, 07:15 PM
Bud Selig is a spineless fggot.

Huss!
08-15-2012, 07:17 PM
i feel though the mlb umps are pretty good tbh, esp compared to the nba and nfl

dolphan34
08-15-2012, 07:18 PM
I have kinda wondered what it would be like if they did completely use the tech to call balls and strikes. Its very accurate, but will never happen. Baseball is too steeped in tradition to do something so radical, but it would be interesting...

Mogambo
08-15-2012, 07:25 PM

uh. yea? I'm assuming your sarcastic post is because you believe this would be too time consuming.

The strikes/balls technology is immediate. There is no need to even have an ump. But if you wanted to still have a home plate ump, he could have access to the technology right there on his hip to consult with. Would take seconds.

As for check swings, just have an ump up in the boxes looking at replays. It takes 1 replay for me to tell if the bat head went forward while watching on tv.

TTexasTT
08-15-2012, 07:38 PM
uh. yea? I'm assuming your sarcastic post is because you believe this would be too time consuming.

The strikes/balls technology is immediate. There is no need to even have an ump. But if you wanted to still have a home plate ump, he could have access to the technology right there on his hip to consult with. Would take seconds.

As for check swings, just have an ump up in the boxes looking at replays. It takes 1 replay for me to tell if the bat head went forward while watching on tv.
http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/pp166/thedane86/tick-tock-1.gif

YellowOnYellow
08-15-2012, 07:40 PM

Not gonna lie but I might suck your cock being how die hard of a astros fan you are.

TTexasTT
08-15-2012, 07:41 PM
Not gonna lie but I might suck your cock being how die hard of a astros fan you are.
Wild Card... we in it

Mogambo
08-15-2012, 07:49 PM
@ TTexasTT

Indeed, it's only a matter of time before we get replay reviews fully integrated into the game.

Also, we're talking about baseball. The issue of replay causing delays is not one at all.

QB_Killa
08-16-2012, 12:54 PM
tennis

Yank11
08-16-2012, 01:20 PM
MLB should just do this during a Spring training game and force people who want it to sit down and watch the entire 6 hour game

Mogambo
08-16-2012, 01:27 PM
MLB should just do this during a Spring training game and force people who want it to sit down and watch the entire 6 hour game

Do you realize how stupid this time argument is?

Selig is just putting off the inevitable. It's just a question of how many teams are going to get screwed before it's implemented.

Mogambo
08-17-2012, 04:14 PM
And the ump misses two calls on one play, fukin over my Os once again.

Holding off on replay reviews only accomplishes more teams getting hosed. That is all. It's inevitable but nah, let's wait till an ump screws up a huge call before we give in.

blip63
08-18-2012, 07:03 AM

You can always come up with a solution to prevent replays from causing serious time delays ie in tennis players have a limited number of challenges.

And the ump misses two calls on one play, fukin over my Os once again.

Holding off on replay reviews only accomplishes more teams getting hosed. That is all. It's inevitable but nah, let's wait till an ump screws up a huge call before we give in.

I'm pissed about the blown calls, but not that pissed. What pisses me off is the fact that the umpires overturned the original(correct) call, then threw out Reynolds and Showalter. I've never seen that in an mlb game.

PatrickBateman1
08-18-2012, 07:25 AM

I lol'd hard for some reason. Not good use of foul bachelor frog, but I still laughed.

Bud Selig is a spineless fggot.

And yet he's still better than the NBA and NFL commissioners... phucking communists.

No. Just no. Such an awful idea.

Mogambo
08-18-2012, 07:32 AM
I'm pissed about the blown calls, but not that pissed.

And we wait until some disastrous call that causes a huge uproar for things to change. Bad logic. It's inevitable. No point in wait to be forced to implement it.

blip63
08-18-2012, 07:46 AM
And we wait until some disastrous call that causes a huge uproar for things to change. Bad logic. It's inevitable. No point in wait to be forced to implement it.

My point is that my rage about the blown calls was overshadowed by the fact that the call was overturned. It's unprecedented as far I can tell. The Galarraga call was pretty disastrous but even that did not get overturned. The players have to speak up and do something imo.

Shortstop36
08-18-2012, 08:04 AM
and yet MLB uses it the least. Most other sports, there is some judgement calls to be made.

In baseball it's about making calls, not calling penalties. It's all cut and dry.

The runner beat the throw to the base or he didn't. Video don't lie. It's simple. There is technology to call balls/strikes. What is the purpose of the umpire other than to collect a pay check. And we all know how much influence MLB's ump union has.

I'm watching my Os play the Bosox tonight. Adam Jones beats the throw to first base. Gets called out.

How is the ump supposed to see both the throw and Jones foot @ the same time to make the call?

I am a huge Bud Selig fan. I think he is a great commish. But he has been slow to act on this.

Umpires are taught to watch for the foot and listen for the ball in most situations.

srs

Mogambo
08-18-2012, 08:18 AM
My point is that my rage about the blown calls was overshadowed by the fact that the call was overturned. It's unprecedented as far I can tell. The Galarraga call was pretty disastrous but even that did not get overturned. The players have to speak up and do something imo.

Ump blows call, over turns it and the Os hottest hitter gets thrown out for throwing glove on the ground. We are in a freakin wildcard race here.

MLB umps can suck a bag of dicks.

TranceOfPeace
08-18-2012, 09:27 AM
First of all, not having an umpire calling balls and strikes would be retarded. Do you see the amount of excitement these guys get ringing batters up? And you want to take that away from them?

Have you actually seen the balls/strikes these computers call? Go watch a game and look at the Gameday on MLB.com. There will be pitches marked outside but if you're watching you can tell they are strikes, vice versa.

stevedarsh
08-18-2012, 11:20 AM
i feel though the mlb umps are pretty good tbh, esp compared to the nba and nfl

http://www.beltwaysportsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/gal.png

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_isUvlzkZPIQ/TAk_lBO5TQI/AAAAAAAAGbU/rwB3c5iugJs/s1600/ap-jim-joycejpg-4db90654dad32eef_large.jpg

sups31
08-18-2012, 11:28 AM
lol @ thinking something subjective like balls/strikes and check swings can just instantly be decided by replay. notsureifsrs.

Mogambo
08-18-2012, 11:35 AM
lol @ thinking something subjective like balls/strikes and check swings can just instantly be decided by replay. notsureifsrs.

There is nothing subjective about anything you said.

Baseball is more objective than any other American sport. It's what baseball fans pride themselves on. The sport is pure. It's all statistics. Numbers.

Your post is awful and misinformed.

sups31
08-18-2012, 11:41 AM
There is nothing subjective about anything you said.

Baseball is more objective than any other American sport. It's what baseball fans pride themselves on. The sport is pure. It's all statistics. Numbers.

There is no one definitive strike zone for every player. It differs drastically based on a player's size and stance.

Look up the mlb's ruling of check swings and tell me it's not subjective.

Mogambo
08-18-2012, 11:45 AM
There is no one definitive strike zone for every player. It differs drastically based on a player's size and stance.

Look up the mlb's ruling of check swings and tell me it's not subjective.

Yes, and you say this to defend....what? This is a terrible rule and should be made clear and then handed over to replay review.

Bottom line, it's going to happen. The ONLY thing that has to happen is for a couple critical blown calls in the playoffs. Why wait till your hand is forced?

TranceOfPeace
08-18-2012, 11:46 AM
Check swings are definitely subjective. Don't know how many times they show a slow mo replay of a check swing and a commentator will say "that's close"

sups31
08-18-2012, 11:49 AM
Yes, and you say this to defend....what? This is a terrible rule and should be made clear and then handed over to replay review.

Bottom line, it's going to happen. The ONLY thing that has to happen is for a couple critical blown calls in the playoffs. Why wait till your hand is forced?
has happened plenty of times.

Mogambo
08-18-2012, 11:55 AM
Check swings are definitely subjective. Don't know how many times they show a slow mo replay of a check swing and a commentator will say "that's close"

Ok, given that, you're defending that it should be left up to the ump to make the call? 21st century mang. It's billion dolla industry. I think we can do better than leaving a critical 3rd strike call up to the whim of a home plate ump's opinion of what constitutes a check swing.

Mogambo
08-18-2012, 11:56 AM
has happened plenty of times.

And each time this happens, the calls for replay review increases.

So let's just wait till every team has been screwed over to make the inevitable change?