PDA

View Full Version : Beep Test, ugh!!

prudenceclaire
08-15-2012, 06:34 AM
I'm starting a 12 Week Challenge with my gym since I really need to get back on track. Tonight we had the dreaded beep test. I haven't done one since school and certainly can't remember what level I achieved then. Tonight I got to 4.2 which seemed to be about average for the group. The highest anyone got was 7.7. I'll be interested to see how my score improves at the end of the 12 weeks. I've never been much of a runner!

Have you done a beep test? How did you do? Someone was saying that army guys get around 14 to 15 which seems superhuman to me.

Kricket09
08-15-2012, 09:19 AM
i have no idea what a beep test is.

1ntensify
08-15-2012, 09:22 AM
beep.........................beep.............beep ....beep.beepbeepbeep

went to 12

09BlackSS
08-15-2012, 09:27 AM
I'm starting a 12 Week Challenge with my gym since I really need to get back on track. Tonight we had the dreaded beep test. I haven't done one since school and certainly can't remember what level I achieved then. Tonight I got to 4.2 which seemed to be about average for the group. The highest anyone got was 7.7. I'll be interested to see how my score improves at the end of the 12 weeks. I've never been much of a runner!

Have you done a beep test? How did you do? Someone was saying that army guys get around 14 to 15 which seems superhuman to me.

You should be able to score higher. It's really a mind game as you progress through the levels.. Most people drop out because they just get intimidated by the amount of work required not due to being completely exhausted. After 12 weeks of doing it consistently I would think you should be able to hit level 8 (which is decent considering where you're starting).

If you're interested in learning more about the test wiki it. They also break it out by what certain countries require for military personnel, athletes etc.

Michelle_Rose
08-15-2012, 10:06 AM
most "army guys" run every morning (or 3-4 times/week), at least 5 km every time. sorry, i don't have a good plan for you. to improve, you'll have to run. same for push ups and sit ups. sorry, i dont have a score because i did the "step test" instead of the beep test when i enrolled.

to improve your performance, try intervals, sprints and long distances. and that may seems weird, but go for a little jogging before your next test. nothing to kill you, but to wake up your heart a little bit :P

aragonmod
08-15-2012, 05:52 PM

I need to be educated .......What is the BEEP test?!?

prudenceclaire
08-15-2012, 06:20 PM
Sorry I should have explained properly. The beep test is officially called a "multi-stage fitness test". Basically you have two lines 20m apart and you have to run back and forth between them, hitting each line on or before the beep. Gradually as you move through the stages you have to pick up the pace to keep up with the beeps. Just had a look at the wiki article and it has heaps of info about it if you're interested.

I haven't done any running for months and found it pretty tough. I'm excited to see how much I can improve in the 12 weeks

aragonmod
08-15-2012, 09:06 PM
Sorry I should have explained properly. The beep test is officially called a "multi-stage fitness test". Basically you have two lines 20m apart and you have to run back and forth between them, hitting each line on or before the beep. Gradually as you move through the stages you have to pick up the pace to keep up with the beeps. Just had a look at the wiki article and it has heaps of info about it if you're interested.

I haven't done any running for months and found it pretty tough. I'm excited to see how much I can improve in the 12 weeks

Thank you for explaining....never heard of this test.

Kiwi10
08-15-2012, 09:10 PM
For school soccer we had to do it everyweek. Arghhh. More than ten years ago and I am still glad to never have to do it again.
Think it might be more of a southern hemisphere thing?
Anyway best I ever did was 10, usually around 8 though. I was Not a good runner. Most soccer team mates got 10-11.
I know a retired NZ cricketer who was known for being very fit would get 17. That just seemed nuts. I couldn't even make the beeps if I started at level 17!!!

flyingeek
08-16-2012, 02:00 AM
Gawd. I read "beer test".... *hanging head in shame*

Jemima92
08-16-2012, 02:12 AM

I did one about 6 years ago in high school when I was also doing track and cross country training and I got just above level 9 I think. AFL footballers need to be at level 15 and anyone in the army is definitely a superhuman both in terms of their physical and mental abilities!!