PDA

View Full Version : Important Vegetables?

Ali9189
08-14-2012, 09:53 PM
What are some staple vegetables to get into your diet? To be more exact, what would be your top 5-10 important vegetables to eat from?

Stephen109
08-14-2012, 10:03 PM
Not a fan of Vegetables overall but eat plenty of potato due to it's high carb count & mash tatie is nice. After Potato I go for carrot then if I can be bothered might eat a little cucumber or celery.

ArmstrongBrah
08-14-2012, 10:04 PM
A better question would be what veggies to stay away from because most of them are absolutely great.

Pladzor
08-14-2012, 10:35 PM
this is bodybuilding.com vegetables dont build muscle, no need for them SRS. haven't eaten vegetables in years, and im packing on dat muscle. maybe the odd occasion once or twice a year at mums place for dinner, bout it. take a multi, you'll be sweet ;)

i do eat sweet potato, thats a vegetable, so i eat one.

come at me boys, let the flaming begin, inb4 micro nutrients, blah blah blah, get the fuk off to healthyliving.com

PhineasGage24
08-14-2012, 11:13 PM
this is bodybuilding.com vegetables dont build muscle, no need for them SRS. haven't eaten vegetables in years, and im packing on dat muscle. maybe the odd occasion once or twice a year at mums place for dinner, bout it. take a multi, you'll be sweet ;)

i do eat sweet potato, thats a vegetable, so i eat one.

come at me boys, let the flaming begin, inb4 micro nutrients, blah blah blah, get the fuk off to healthyliving.com

I hope, for your sake, that you're trolling. And if you think a chronic deficiency in key vitamins and minerals won't affect muscular hypertrophy, you are sadly mistaken. Lastly, given the obstructive mineral interactions and poor kinetics of essentially every multivitamin supplement available, you're not really helping your cause by taking one.

Pladzor
08-14-2012, 11:14 PM
I hope, for your sake, that you're trolling. And if you think a chronic deficiency in key vitamins and minerals won't affect muscular hypertrophy, you are sadly mistaken. Lastly, given the obstructive mineral interactions and poor kinetics of essentially every multivitamin supplement available, you're not really helping your cause by taking one.

multi vitamins are cheap, ill take them anyways. and has it affected muscular hypertrophy, for me? hell no.

PhineasGage24
08-14-2012, 11:17 PM
multi vitamins are cheap, ill take them anyways. and has it affected muscular hypertrophy, for me? hell no.

Did you run a double-blind trial against yourself? Didn't think so.

Pladzor
08-14-2012, 11:20 PM
Did you run a double-blind trial against yourself? Didn't think so.

we've evolved from apes, our bodies will adapt to whatever it faces, ive got my own proof, youve got test in your system?, eat enough calories / protein?, work out half decent?, you'll build muscle no matter what.

PhineasGage24
08-14-2012, 11:20 PM
we've evolved from apes, our bodies will adapt to whatever it faces, ive got my own proof, youve got test in your system?, eat enough calories / protein?, work out half decent?, you'll build muscle no matter what.

This is one of those chicken and egg things: are you a dumbass because you are micronutrient-deficient, or are you micronutrient-deficient because you are a dumbass?

So our bodies will adapt to anything? What if I cut out essential amino acids from your diet? What if I removed all potassium from your diet? What if you suffered from chronic, incurable disease because of your pis poor diet? Adapt to that.

Pladzor
08-14-2012, 11:24 PM
This is one of those chicken and egg things: are you a dumbass because you are micronutrient-deficient, or are you micronutrient-deficient because you are a dumbass?

by your lack of stats and avi, i can assume i have more muscle then you, enjoy your veggies brah, keep dreaming big

Pladzor
08-14-2012, 11:26 PM
So our bodies will adapt to anything? What if I cut out essential amino acids from your diet? What if I removed all potassium from your diet? What if you suffered from chronic, incurable disease because of your pis poor diet? Adapt to that.

id basically have to not eat anything to not get ANY essential amino acids. i shouldn't eat anything?

AlwaysTryin
08-14-2012, 11:27 PM

Dat dere celltech works wonders for hypertrophy

(your posts about gaining 2-3lbs a week and eating 6.5k)

AlwaysTryin
08-14-2012, 11:28 PM
by your lack of stats and avi, i can assume i have more muscle then you, enjoy your veggies brah, keep dreaming big

Comparing celltech to non celltech...

PhineasGage24
08-14-2012, 11:28 PM
So you're a swole retard? Congratulations.

Pladzor
08-14-2012, 11:33 PM
Dat dere celltech works wonders for hypertrophy

(your posts about gaining 2-3lbs a week and eating 6.5k)

"youve got test in your system?, eat enough calories / protein?, work out half decent?, you'll build muscle no matter what."

indeed i do eat that much. gotta eat big to get big ;) it flatters me you remember me AlwayTryin, i see you quite often in the nutrition forum, and while ill attempt to help out people, when it comes to veggies, i just give my opinion on whats worked for me

i also dont believe any pro's would eat veggies, off camera, they eat over 8k calories a day, do you think they have room for veggies in their stomach, its a fkn battle to eat 6.5k

So you're a swole retard? Congratulations.

hows your jimmies?

;)

PhineasGage24
08-14-2012, 11:47 PM
i just give my opinion on whats worked for me

When you are suffering from a chronic neurological or inflammatory condition at a young age, please opine on what worked for you.

AlwaysTryin
08-14-2012, 11:53 PM
i also dont believe any pro's would eat veggies, off camera, they eat over 8k calories a day, do you think they have room for veggies in their stomach, its a fkn battle to eat 6.5k

You consider them a benchmark of health? Lol

Steven951
08-15-2012, 01:45 AM
What are some staple vegetables to get into your diet? To be more exact, what would be your top 5-10 important vegetables to eat from?

I eat a lot of things like lettuce, kale, collards, spinach, dandelion green, beets and their leaves, carrots and their leaves, etc. And of course many other ones, I just change it up as to whats affordable and in season.

Gemuadrken
08-15-2012, 01:50 AM
this is bodybuilding.com vegetables dont build muscle, no need for them SRS.

Have you seen a gorilla lately?

Brb eating a phucking lot of leaves. And also being ripped at the same time.

Pladzor
08-15-2012, 02:53 AM
You consider them a benchmark of health? Lol

no i dont not, this is why we are on bodybuilding.com not healthlyliving.com

Gemuadrken
08-15-2012, 02:54 AM

I agree. Screw being healthy. I'd rather just be ripped.

(<--- does not have an admirable physique....yet..)

Pladzor
08-15-2012, 02:58 AM
I agree. Screw being healthy. I'd rather just be ripped.

(<--- does not have an admirable physique....yet..)

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Gemuadrken again

AlwaysTryin
08-15-2012, 03:15 AM

So everyone here should do the Twinkie and protein shake diet since health doesn't matter??

:p

Botika
08-15-2012, 03:16 AM
To answer the OP's question the most nutrient dense vegetables are those with most colour intensity (eg dark green like broccoli etc). Avoid potato. Berries are lower in sugar than other fruits. I just try to have a variety of different veg over the week (different colour veg means different vitamins and minerals).

Gemuadrken
08-15-2012, 03:17 AM
So everyone here should do the Twinkie and protein shake diet since health doesn't matter??

Yes

Darz23
08-15-2012, 03:32 AM
we've evolved from apes

Wrong. Humans didn't evolve from apes; apes, more specifically chimpanzees and bonobos and, considering them as a natural group, are the closest to humans for we share a common ancestor.

Pladzor
08-15-2012, 03:39 AM

they dont have Twinkies in AUS, farrrrrk

ThatWei
08-15-2012, 03:43 AM
Wrong. Humans didn't evolve from apes; apes, more specifically chimpanzees and bonobos and, considering them as a natural group, are the closest to humans for we share a common ancestor.

Wrong, humans were created by god.

(notsrs)

Nexxus
08-15-2012, 03:45 AM
TBH guys I'm with Pladzor on this. When bulking I really don't go out of my way to eat any vegetables at all.

Sure I may have a few vegetables but it's more like that slice of lettuce in a burger/sandwich/burrito or the little veggies that come in a soup/pasta/pizza etc or maybe when I go out and I'm hungry but don't want something too big I may have a fruit/vegetable smoothie. But like... I'll never order or make myself a salad lol.

I get most my micronutrients and fiber from a multivitamin and greens supplement. I do have plenty of fruits and whole grains though.

When cutting the only reason I have more vegetables is because they tend to fill me up easy and are very calorie dense.

GING3R
08-15-2012, 04:29 AM
Avoid potato.

lol who still counts potatoes as a veggie?

1ntensify
08-15-2012, 04:31 AM

1. Broccoli
2. Cauliflower
3. Brussel sprouts
4. Green beans
5. Cucumber
6. Onion
7. Garlic
8. Zucchini
9. Carrots
10. Lettuce pray

cldillmann1
08-15-2012, 05:16 AM
When Bulking

1. Spinach Leaves
2. Black Beans
3. Sweet Potatos
4. Garlic

When Cutting

1. Spinach Leaves
2. Broccoli

Ali9189
08-15-2012, 10:29 AM
Thanks for posting your list and advice guys.

NapalmX
08-15-2012, 10:44 AM
I've read a few times lately that people advise against eating potatoes .... just curious, why is that?

Bababroey
08-15-2012, 10:48 AM
I read a study once that said veggies increases mitichondrial count and activity, leading to better performance, but I just skimmed through it so I don't know if it was a reputable study or not.

martial-man420
08-15-2012, 11:35 AM
I've read a few times lately that people advise against eating potatoes .... just curious, why is that?

I don't know, and I've never seen anyone suggest that. Potatos are a great source of vitamins, taste great and go with a lot of other foods and are very versatile. THey are more micronutrient dense than a lot of other vegetables and fruit.I guess people see potato and think fries. Even suggesting they're unhealthy is erroneous a lot of the time.

Potatos = healthy
EVOO = healthy

Potatos + EVOO = unhealthy?? Just an example. You can use a lot of different oils for good fries.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2546/2

Bl4ckfl4g
08-15-2012, 11:49 AM
I don't eat too many veggies either. Probably need more.

I love Spinach and musrooms though. Can't get enough of those.

I also eat broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots but only a few times a week.

I like everything except celery, but I'd just rather eat potatoes, rice, beans, meat, and ice cream.

Bwestmuscle
08-15-2012, 12:40 PM

You only absorb like 20% of your multivitamins if that. The veggies are there to just be even more beneficial for nutrients and absorption.

Also, an assortment of veggies contain more and different types of nutrients than just from multivitamins.

Spencer43783
08-15-2012, 03:49 PM
You only absorb like 20% of your multivitamins if that. The veggies are there to just be even more beneficial for nutrients and absorption.

Lol source?

Spencer43783
08-15-2012, 04:10 PM
While muscles looks for a link to that ridiculous statement..

I don't know, and I've never seen anyone suggest that. Potatos are a great source of vitamins, taste great and go with a lot of other foods and are very versatile. THey are more micronutrient dense than a lot of other vegetables and fruit.I guess people see potato and think fries. Even suggesting they're unhealthy is erroneous a lot of the time.

Potatos = healthy
EVOO = healthy

Potatos + EVOO = unhealthy?? Just an example. You can use a lot of different oils for fries.

EVOO not being one of them. The smoke point is too low to make actual French fries. You could always pan fry them, but they wouldn't be French fries then :)

Everything else martial said was spot on though. They are very nutrient dense, IF you eat them with the peel, people just avoid them because they're high in carbs.