PDA

View Full Version : Basketball brahs what should I work on to improve my game?

AhDo
08-14-2012, 08:40 AM
I've been playing ball/practicing my dribble everyday. I'm good enough to make the freshman team now and maybe even the jv if I could go back in time to high school.

I'm a 5'5 manlet so I play PG/SG mostly PG because I can't shoot well. I'm focusing on improving my handles. Some things I've been doing:
-Dribbling in all different speeds, from slow to medium to fast, just working on being able to change speeds and drive in transition
-Dribbling while walking/running on every angle 180 degrees in front of me
-practicing my shot
-crossing over, but just the basic crossover/double crossover. the fancy through the legs/behind back is a waste of time

Is there anything else I could do to get better handles?

NJLife
08-14-2012, 09:04 AM
I've been playing ball/practicing my dribble everyday. I'm good enough to make the freshman team now and maybe even the jv if I could go back in time to high school.

I'm a 5'5 manlet so I play PG/SG mostly PG because I can't shoot well. I'm focusing on improving my handles. Some things I've been doing:
-Dribbling in all different speeds, from slow to medium to fast, just working on being able to change speeds and drive in transition
-Dribbling while walking/running on every angle 180 degrees in front of me
-practicing my shot
-crossing over, but just the basic crossover/double crossover. the fancy through the legs/behind back is a waste of time

Is there anything else I could do to get better handles?

get good at shooting floaters :D they r deadly.

Alex2010
08-14-2012, 09:49 AM
do every dribble drill uve been doing with 2 balls at the same time, it will strengthen ur weak side ALOT. learn the eurostep and spin layup/shots to make urself more of a scoring threat, as far as passing thats more court vision than anything, comes naturally when ur not looking at the ball anymore when u dribble.

skizz
08-14-2012, 10:58 AM
Focus on practicing shooting if its your greatest weakness. Being able to consistently hit jump shots will open up driving lanes and give you more options on offense.

Learn how to do floaters, shoot 1 hand shots inside the paint to improve your touch. Then you can do shooting drills like 25 makes while standing still, off 1 dribble, off 2 dribbles to improve your spot up, pull up shots.

Impurityz
08-14-2012, 11:04 AM
Your height hurts you a lot. You need to practice quick shots. To help protect your height issues on shots. Also, try to grab a friend or partner and practice dribbling around them, through them , and crossing them. ( while he is trying to steal the ball, no shots just dribbling)

Hoop_Dreams
08-14-2012, 11:09 AM
Well you're on the right track.

at 5'5" you better have handles. Being able to make any dribble with your head up will get you PT. (wait, just double checked you're not in HS anymore).

Two ball dribbling drills worked best for me when I was training for college ball. Joakman has a thread going in the sports training section that has a lot of great info: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=122964941

Nolan78
08-14-2012, 11:13 AM
Get a negroplasty

JoshSelbyfor3
08-14-2012, 11:19 AM
OP, you should try to focus on one aspect of your game and become great at it. What are you currently really good at? Passing? Shooting? Dribbling? In my case it was shooting and I've worked my ass off for hours a day to become to best shooter I possibly can, and it has led me to great results.
527YdqN4AEU

Watch the video. Ignore the title, it applies to all facets of the game.
Hassan has very good videos on his channel. I also recommend watching videos by Dre Baldwin (youtube channel: dreupt) and Ganon Baker (youtube channel: ganonbakerbasketball).

Also, "theunguardables" youtube channel has very good training/workout videos for shooting, dribbling, strength, etc.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheUnGuardables

Another thing I do (especially regarding to my shooting) is that I watch workout videos of the best players in the NBA. I've applied parts of Mike Miller, Steve Nash, Steve Novak, Chris Bosh, and Ray Allen's shooting form to my own form.

EDIT: I just want to add, working on one part of your game WILL help you improve everywhere else. For example with shooting, it has allowed me to get past defenders a lot easier (especially off a pass) because people have to guard me tighter. If you're a good dribbler people will sag off and you'll have more room to shoot. It's obvious but it's also something to keep in mind so you don't feel discouraged worrying about whether you should work on handles or shooting.

0starine
08-14-2012, 12:17 PM
Play games everyday. Game spee practice.