PDA

View Full Version : check my dumbbell squat ?

oneyeti
08-14-2012, 12:25 AM
i've been reading and I feel like I'm doing it right but I've read some stuff about knees going out too far and they look close? I'm not sure how else to do it though and I don't feel pain in my knees while doing these. does it look right? sorry it's messy in my apt.

oops cant post links yet =( can i upload videos to the forum?

the id is

watch?v=Re4eG7IuMUQ <--- add to the end of the / behind the youtube . com

also i watched this video to model after: watch?v=24PeqytTtq4

Kemo1990
08-14-2012, 01:17 AM
Re4eG7IuMUQ
i dare not do db squats, the hodgetwins said and i quote "you gonna snap some **** up"

oneyeti
08-14-2012, 09:38 PM
Re4eG7IuMUQ
i dare not do db squats, the hodgetwins said and i quote "you gonna snap some **** up"

thanks for embedding it. I don't know what you mean though - db squats are bad??

Kemo1990
08-15-2012, 06:57 AM
thanks for embedding it. I don't know what you mean though - db squats are bad??i wouldnt say bad,holding the dbs uses alot of core/upper body stabilization muscles when squats already require alot of stabilization muscles

rdferguson
08-15-2012, 07:17 AM
On the whole, the story about knees going too far over/past the toes is bullocks. I know of only one circumstance where there's a potentially legitimate concern, and it's in the presence of a pre-existing knee condition called retro-patellar bursitis. Haven't heard of that? Exactly.

Now, direct side-views and front/back-views aren't ideal for form-checks -- it's easier to assess from a 45-degree angle. But it looks to me like your heels are too close together for your current structure and ROM. It appears to me that you're lowering your body down on top of your legs, whereas you should be sinking down between your legs, which is most easily achieved by having your heels shoulder-width apart or wider, toes turned out slightly (as yours are), and driving your knees out so that they're pointing the same direction as your toes. Other than that, take a mental note to keep your tail bone lifted throughout the entire lift, and really focus on it as you approach the bottom of the squat. Your bum's tucking under a bit at the bottom. You want to prevent that from happening, and keeping your tailbone lifted (which, in turn, keeps the pelvis aligned properly) should prevent that. From a musculoskeletal POV, your bum tucking under means that your glutes and/or hamstrings are overpowering your spinal erectors at the bottom of the squat, and this risks lower back injury with heavier loads. Ironically, the glutes and hamstrings overpowering the erectors prevents the glutes and hamstrings from building up the load they can (and should) take (so, their initial display of strength actually prevents a more important display of strength), which means the glutes and hamstrings get less out of the squat, and it increases the risk of hips and knee injuries.

So, move your feet out a little more, and keep your tailbone lifted as you squat down, resisting the temptation to tuck your bum under, so as to properly load your glutes and hamstrings, to make the squat safe for the hips, knees and lower back, and to achieve more with the squat.

Beyond those details, your movement pattern looks fairly good.

Oh, and no, DB squats aren't a bad exercise to do. Kemo's referring to a twinmuscleworkout video on DB vs BB squats. On the whole, I hope their videos aren't meant to be serious, because I can't take them seriously. Barbell squats are preferable over dumbbell squats if you have the option and can do them properly, but since no one ever DB squats 350lb, DB squats are a perfectly fine place to start out.

oneyeti
08-15-2012, 10:31 AM
thanks! ^ I will do a 45 degree video next time. Thanks for the tips and thoughts. I don't think I can do a barbell squat even with no weight - it feels weird to have my arms up but maybe I was just doing it wrong.

Big_Sky_Guy
08-15-2012, 01:05 PM
Agree with the vast majority of what rd said.

DB squats are closer to a front or high-bar squat so you will stay a more over the front of the foot. If you spread your feet out a touch, you will be able to drop in easier and may even allow your whole hip complex to drift back a bit.

I have a bit of butt wink at the bottom. Despite focusing on keeping my tailbone lifted, I continue to wink a bit as my hammies are too tight. If you find the same, the solution is more hamm and hip stretching.