PDA

View Full Version : Ref lockout may last into season

ilovedrpepper
08-13-2012, 11:08 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8266445/nfl-executives-foresee-opening-2012-regular-season-replacement-refs

Replacement officials could go into week 3.....

http://i.imgur.com/pezgM.gif

TranceOfPeace
08-13-2012, 11:12 PM
Goodell pls

cor030
08-14-2012, 12:08 AM
Espn had a poll recently and the majority of voters said replacement refs were doing a good job.

Lulz.

ilovedrpepper
08-14-2012, 12:09 AM
Espn had a poll recently and the majority of voters said replacement refs were doing a good job.

Lulz.

They musta not watched the Texans/Panthers game. Atrocious calls both ways all game.

cor030
08-14-2012, 12:14 AM
They musta not watched the Texans/Panthers game. Atrocious calls both ways all game.

Been that way for every game. There are going to be so many turrible PI calls/no calls. It's going to be a disaster if replacement refs call real games. Officiating was already questionable at best in the nfl...

kyleTX
08-14-2012, 12:20 AM
need to evaluate how I can profit from this for betting on week 1. Which noob refs have been calling the most PI's, etc.

interdasting

Hoop_Dreams
08-14-2012, 12:24 AM
Imagine how swole Hochuli's gonna be with all this free time he can devote to lifting weights. Mother of God.

PitBillSoxFan
08-14-2012, 06:31 AM
are you guys actually gullible enough to believe this PR from the NFL.

Of course they are going to say they're fully prepared to go into the season with the replacement refs. What do you expect them to say? "PRESS RELEASE: NFL Admits defeat, will concede to refs demands and axe replacement refs"

The NFL knows they can't go into the season with these refs. If a star got hurt because of a blown call (or anyone, really, but can you imagine Aaron Rogers or Tom Brady tearing their knee up because of a blown call that a "real" ref would've caught?) it'll cost them millions. Hurt players will sue the NFL for damages by putting them at a greater risk and not keeping them safe etc.

It's all about posturing and public relations. The NFL can't risk high school refs running their $9B operation.

ShadowBarkley
08-14-2012, 08:51 AM
are you guys actually gullible enough to believe this PR from the NFL.

Of course they are going to say they're fully prepared to go into the season with the replacement refs. What do you expect them to say? "PRESS RELEASE: NFL Admits defeat, will concede to refs demands and axe replacement refs"

The NFL knows they can't go into the season with these refs. If a star got hurt because of a blown call (or anyone, really, but can you imagine Aaron Rogers or Tom Brady tearing their knee up because of a blown call that a "real" ref would've caught?) it'll cost them millions. Hurt players will sue the NFL for damages by putting them at a greater risk and not keeping them safe etc.

It's all about posturing and public relations. The NFL can't risk high school refs running their $9B operation.

Sounds good.

cor030
08-14-2012, 02:14 PM
I was watching ESPN and Adam Schefter said something that made me take Goodell's side on this.. one thing that the NFL wants is to add three additional officiating crews and the refs don't want that. His reasoning is it gives them an opportunity to groom new refs for when the current ones retire, and the biggest thing I like:

The league also has discussed the option of rotating some of the proposed new officials into established crews if the league determines there is a substandard performance by an official that merits a change.

So it is pretty much a "if you **** up too often, you'll lose your job" thing. I guess the refs don't want accountability for making terrible calls.