PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Strasburg won’t pitch in the 2012 playoffs.

ZidaneValor
08-13-2012, 08:13 PM
Stephen Strasburg won’t pitch in the playoffs (http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/13/stephen-strasburg-wont-pitch-in-the-playoffs/)

It was reported on Friday that Stephen Strasburg‘s new innings limit for the season is 180. Bill Ladson of MLB.com has a source telling him that that is not accurate, and that there is not necessarily a magic number of innings. Rather:

The Nationals are expected to have right-hander Stephen Strasburg miss two or three regular-season starts, according to a baseball source.

Well enough. But here’s the jaw-dropper:

The same source went so far as to say Strasburg will not pitch in the postseason once he is shut down.

I’m all for taking care of your young pitching talent, but I’m sorry, I find that to be utterly mind-boggling.

One can say anything one wants about caution with respect to Strasburg’s health — and I hate to echo Jeff Francoeur’s wisdom when it comes to anything — but how do Mike Rizzo and the Nationals expect their fans to take it if, in Game 5 of the NLDS, the TBS cameras repeatedly show closeups of Strasburg sitting idly by in the dugout while Edwin Jackson gets lit up by the Cardinals or someone?

I guess they say they’re protecting their most valuable asset for a long and triumphant tomorrow. If so, they had better hope it actually comes. Because there’s certainly no guarantee of that.

TTexasTT
08-13-2012, 08:14 PM
Nolan Ryan does not approve.

cor030
08-13-2012, 08:16 PM
lol the writer of that article is so herp derp

did he expect them to shut him down for 2 weeks then start him right back up for a postseason run? how is it a jaw dropper that he's not gonna start in the postseason..

Nolan Ryan does not approve.

and this. obviously the Rangers no care "**** pitch counts" approach with their pitchers worked out sooo well...

dougefresh93
08-13-2012, 08:16 PM
Not sure why the Nats didn't limit his innings more, skip every other start, anything. When the games count your best pitcher won't be out there. Davey Johnson mismanaged this situation. Too bad, feels kind of bad for the fans and the other players on the team.

OliverSamsonite
08-13-2012, 08:18 PM
Whats the point of even having a team if you're not gonna try and win the world series? if i was a nats fan i'd boycott. You play to win the world series. Sucks they just look at strasburg and see dollar signs. He's a terrific, young pitcher who would kill to pitch in this years playoffs

cor030
08-13-2012, 08:23 PM
Not sure why the Nats didn't limit his innings more, skip every other start, anything. When the games count your best pitcher won't be out there. Davey Johnson mismanaged this situation. Too bad, feels kind of bad for the fans and the other players on the team.

Mike Rizzo(GM):

"every injury expert that we have spoken to [says] the effect of shutting a pitcher down and then ramping him back up and having him throw a full go is much more dangerous than having him pitch through the season and shutting him down."

He didn't mismanage the situation. They're taking the exact route they took with Jordan Zimmermann and Zimmermann is one of the best pitchers in baseball now.

It's so annoying that people are acting like the Nats window is closing and the Nats need to risk Strasburgs future for a run this year. The core of this team is locked up for years and will only improve with guys like Harper/Espinosa/Ramos(although injured this year)/Desmond/etc getting better, and they've got a farm continuing to pump out solid talent.

Yes, it sucks Stras is out this year... but this is just the beginning of a very competitive team for years to come.

taxe91
08-13-2012, 08:25 PM
is this even news?

BenadrylBandit
08-13-2012, 08:30 PM
Lettuce be real tea, even with Stras the Nats aren't winning the WS. They can either preserve their most important asset or attempt to make a futile run in the playoffs and risk him blowing his arm out again.

Personally I don't think he'll get shutdown in the postseason or get injured.

inb4 bitter phillies fan.

cor030
08-13-2012, 08:32 PM
Lettuce be real tea, even with Stras the Nats aren't winning the WS. They can either preserve their most important asset or attempt to make a futile run in the playoffs and risk him blowing his arm out again.

lol please tell me the reasoning for why they have no chance to win the WS if Stras continued to pitch

if it doesn't scream butthurt philly fan I'll rep you

taxe91
08-13-2012, 08:38 PM

lettuce really be real tea, the 2010 giants were 1st in ERA and 17th in runs scored. the 2012 nats are 1st in ERA and 15th in runs scored.

it could happen

The_Albatross
08-13-2012, 08:39 PM

inb4 bitter phillies fan. why is the world series out of the question? They have the starting pitching and bullpen...timely hitting equals world series. Do you even baseball?

BenadrylBandit
08-13-2012, 08:41 PM
lol please tell me the reasoning for why they won't win the WS if Stras continued to pitch

if it doesn't scream butthurt philly fan I'll rep you

1. First time in the playoffs for the Nats = first time for a lot of their players. Could get jitters and not handle the big stage, could not matter.
2. They are in a tight battle with the Braves right now, they could end up in the WC KO game, in which case they will use Stras, he will not be available for game 1 of the DS if they win.e
3. I don't see them making it out the NL, Braves and CIN are looking really good. Plus the Giants are an extremely tough match up for anyone.
4. Hate to say it, but Yankees are looking like they're on their way to #28. If not them then TEX, I think an AL team is taking the ship this year.

5. Phillies are HOT, could make a miracle comeback and upset Nats hopes. (notsrs)

cor030
08-13-2012, 08:42 PM
lettuce really be real tea, the 2010 giants were 1st in ERA and 17th in runs scored. the 2012 nats are 1st in ERA and 15th in runs scored.

it could happen

they are actually #1 in the entire MLB in runs scored since the ASB. that's without one of, if not their best players since then(Ian Desmond).

Werth has been unreal since his return. .400/.500/.514 and a 1.014 OPS. If he can play like 2010 Werth for the remainder of the year, motherofgod.jpg

GetBigyo
08-13-2012, 08:51 PM
Can someone aware me on the point of using IP as the indicator of when to shut a pitcher down?

I've never understood it. Isn't pitch count a better indicator? A player can pitch a complete game of 9 IP and only throw 100 pitches or not even so.

BenadrylBandit
08-13-2012, 08:52 PM
Also, they're hot right now, real hot. It will be hard to maintain this type of play up to and into the playoffs. If the last two years say anything it's that the team riding a nice hot streak right before the playoffs has gone on to have great success. Their best hope will to be cool off a little come back down to earth, then get hot again right before the playoffs. It could happen that they ride this hot streak right through the playoffs, but realistically hot streaks don't last that long.

They could make the run, but I don't think they're experienced enough to win it this year.

cor030
08-13-2012, 09:36 PM
1. First time in the playoffs for the Nats = first time for a lot of their players. Could get jitters and not handle the big stage, could not matter.
2. They are in a tight battle with the Braves right now, they could end up in the WC KO game, in which case they will use Stras, he will not be available for game 1 of the DS if they win.e
3. I don't see them making it out the NL, Braves and CIN are looking really good. Plus the Giants are an extremely tough match up for anyone.
4. Hate to say it, but Yankees are looking like they're on their way to #28. If not them then TEX, I think an AL team is taking the ship this year.

5. Phillies are HOT, could make a miracle comeback and upset Nats hopes. (notsrs)

1) arguable, but weren't the 2010 Giants relatively inexperienced? The Rangers hadn't made the postseason in over a decade(IIRC) before 2010 and they made the WS twice in a row. Then you have the Rays making it to the WS as an up and coming team... list goes on.. and weren't the Phillies & Yankees considered dominant teams with tons of postseason experience last season(and hell, the season before..) and ended up getting bounced?
2) Another big if. The dropoff from Stras to Zimmermann isn't big, so it's not like we're gonna be throwing garbage out without Stras. Our staff is the deepest in the MLB.
3) Meh. Nationals are the best team in the NL. Anything can happen in the postseason but I think you're letting your biased opinion on the Nats affect your opinion here.
4) Yankees are riddled with injuries and are barely playing above .500 baseball in the last month. They're obviously a great team but they are far from a sure thing.

gottk2x
08-13-2012, 09:49 PM
I want to see the Nats succeed, but I really don't see the point in putting one of your best pitchers on ice when you need him the most.

TTexasTT
08-13-2012, 10:10 PM
Its too bad. This is probably the only year the Nats will have a chance to do anything at all. Next year the Braves and Phils will back on top and the Nats will be sucking dick for beer money.

cor030
08-13-2012, 10:12 PM
Its too bad. This is probably the only year the Nats will have a chance to do anything at all. Next year the Braves and Phils will back on top and the Nats will be sucking dick for beer money.

http://i.imgur.com/hsTR1.jpg

TTexasTT
08-13-2012, 10:19 PM
http://i.imgur.com/hsTR1.jpg
yes indeed. I loled as I hit the Post button...and thought
"I bet that cor030 phaggot is gonna come in here raising hell"

cor030
08-13-2012, 10:20 PM
yes indeed. I loled as I hit the Post button...and thought
"I bet that cor030 phaggot is gonna come in here raising hell"

my jimmies are not rustled easily.

and lol at that phaggot stephen a smith calling strasburg getting shut down a disgrace. stick to basketball you annoying loud mouth dumb phuck.

LostOne287
08-13-2012, 10:21 PM
This is only an issue because the Nats are actually good this year. Last year nobody cared about Zimmermann's inning cap. All their core players are young so barring a major injury, they shouldn't have a problem getting back to their current level next year.

fofm
08-13-2012, 10:35 PM
You can't just keep doing this... you either wait after surgery or don't play him at all. Enough with this 160 innings crap. He could get hurt at any time. Same with players resting their guys in the NBA and being overly conservative. Like when the Bulls coach got heat for keeping Derrick Rose in the game. Those plants and jumps are routine basketball plays that are made 100+ times every game. Rose could have gotten hurt the very first play of Game 2...

Jason155
08-13-2012, 10:48 PM
So many injuries this year - take if from me, a bluejays fan.. So many damn injuries

JBhaverhill
09-03-2012, 09:53 AM
Strasburg last start will be September 12th.

Prepare your jimmies Nats fans.

DJGalactico
09-03-2012, 09:58 AM
Hey a question that nobody has answered me yet:

Why don't the Nats just shut him down NOW and save the last 2 or 3 starts they have scheduled for him for the post season??! They have a 6 1/2 game lead so losing an every-5-days will not affect them that much. Answers please.

Forumite
09-03-2012, 10:05 AM

Why don't the Nats just shut him down NOW and save the last 2 or 3 starts they have scheduled for him for the post season??! They have a 6 1/2 game lead so losing an every-5-days will not affect them that much. Answers please.

Because shutting him down for 3 weeks with no activity and then have him go full speed again would harm him more than just letting him continue to pitch.

89FoxBody
09-03-2012, 10:07 AM
Because shutting him down then starting him pitching again is even more dangerous to his arm than just allowing him to continue pitching.

JBhaverhill
09-03-2012, 10:11 AM

I talked to Jim Beattie, the former pitcher, co-GM of the Orioles and Ivy League grad, now with the Blue Jays. He was shocked at the shutdown and still didn't believe it could be locked in stone until I said, "It's a done deal."

He said, "I came up with the Yankees as a rookie at 23 and I made the World Series my first year __and I never got back to the post-season. Twice, I pitched shutouts __9 innings__ on Opening Day. Now, they go five innings (at the start of the season)."

Beattie was a big guy with enormous potential. So, I asked, how did that work out for you __complete games in the cold in April, pitching a complete game win in the World Series as a rookie at 23?

"I had three shoulder surgeries," Beattie said.

His career record, after that hot shot start: 52-87.

"The problem with shutting him down and getting him out of his cycle and then all of a sudden putting him back in, means you’ve got to recycle him," Andrews said. "In other words, you can’t take him at a high level, shut him down for a month and then get back immediately to a high level. That could be dangerous, also.

couple quotes I found.

YellowOnYellow
09-03-2012, 10:24 AM
Dumbass owner/managers.

If they really had a 180 inning limit, they should have given him an extra inbetween rotation. Extended his all star break.

SamuelTooli
09-03-2012, 10:34 AM
lol @ anyone who thinks Strasburg won't pitch in the playoffs

Greg1983
09-03-2012, 10:39 AM
lol @ anyone who thinks Strasburg won't pitch in the playoffs

Well their GM and manager seem to think that.

SamuelTooli
09-03-2012, 10:47 AM
Well their GM and manager seem to think that.

I honestly think its some type of publicity stunt. I could see them at least using him out of the bullpen to shut down the last 3 innings of a game. He'd be lights out in that role.

Greg1983
09-03-2012, 10:48 AM
I honestly think its some type of publicity stunt. I could see them at least using him out of the bullpen to shut down the last 3 innings of a game. He'd be lights out in that role.

That would be worse for his arm than extending his limit by a few starts.

PatrickBateman1
09-03-2012, 10:50 AM
Dumbass owner/managers.

If they really had a 180 inning limit, they should have given him an extra inbetween rotation. Extended his all star break.

So much this. Phucking idiots.

soxbrah
09-03-2012, 11:01 AM
The Nationals NEED Strasburg if they want to win the NLCS.

I expect him to get shut down after his next start, or maybe 1-2 after, but he will come back in October.

The medical staff will succumb to the pressure from the GM, Strasburg, and the Nats fan base.

If he doesn't reappear, have fun losing to the Reds.

JBhaverhill
09-03-2012, 11:40 AM
The Nationals NEED Strasburg if they want to win the NLCS.

I expect him to get shut down after his next start, or maybe 1-2 after, but he will come back in October.

The medical staff will succumb to the pressure from the GM, Strasburg, and the Nats fan base.

If he doesn't reappear, have fun losing to the Reds.

His last start is Sept 12th

And he wont be back for the playoffs.

SamuelTooli
09-03-2012, 11:41 AM
His last start is Sept 12th

And he wont be back for the playoffs.

SF Giants

I bet you're hoping that's true lol

cor030
09-03-2012, 12:04 PM
As much as I want him to keep pitching its not gonna happen. Might as well accept it and move on. Nats still have the 3rd best winning percentage in baseball in games not started by Strasburg, so there's that.

Still a good, good team but not having that ace to put a stop to a hot offense is gonna suuuuuuuck.

AreolaBorealis
09-03-2012, 12:52 PM
As much as I want him to keep pitching its not gonna happen. Might as well accept it and move on. Nats still have the 3rd best winning percentage in baseball in games not started by Strasburg, so there's that.

Still a good, good team but not having that ace to put a stop to a hot offense is gonna suuuuuuuck.It would have been crazy exciting to see Strasburg pitch in a game 5 or game 7 type of scenario. Feels bad man. :(

drat456
09-03-2012, 06:21 PM
Nolan ryan is not approving of this. Just man up and pitch. Hes so fun to watch and so good. And i dont think he would get hurt if he went 200 innings or more.

Greg1983
09-03-2012, 06:25 PM
Nolan ryan is not approving of this. Just man up and pitch. Hes so fun to watch and so good. And i dont think he would get hurt if he went 200 innings or more.

Yeah pitchers never get hurt.

bobcat11
09-03-2012, 06:30 PM
This is the worst decision of all time. I look forward to the aftermath for years to come.

This is sports, nothing is guaranteed, you never know what will happen next year. If you have a chance, you have to go for it NOW.

The_Albatross
09-03-2012, 06:51 PM

They have Storen and Clippard...

drat456
09-04-2012, 11:27 AM
Yeah pitchers never get hurt.

Pitching him 180 compared to 210-220 is not gonna be a big difference injurys are part of the game. He can still get hurt again even if he only pitches 180. They are totally babying the guy.

cor030
09-04-2012, 11:33 AM
Pitching him 180 compared to 210-220 is not gonna be a big difference injurys are part of the game. He can still get hurt again even if he only pitches 180. They are totally babying the guy.

It actually is a pretty big difference. I'm okay with letting him pitch a couple extra starts, but I recognize the risk associated with it.

Greg1983
09-04-2012, 11:51 AM

But the risk goes up, and not by a small amount. There's a reason every team limits the number of innings they add to a pitcher's workload compared to the season before. It's not like the Nationals are breaking new ground here. It's just making news because he's one of the biggest pitching prospects in years and the Nationals are going to the playoffs. But I'm sure you know more about pitching arms than professional trainers.

Phil9
09-04-2012, 01:15 PM
The Nationals really botched this whole thing. They have a chance of being a WS contender and are giving it away as well.

cor030
09-04-2012, 01:26 PM
But the risk goes up, and not by a small amount. There's a reason every team limits the number of innings they add to a pitcher's workload compared to the season before. It's not like the Nationals are breaking new ground here. It's just making news because he's one of the biggest pitching prospects in years and the Nationals are going to the playoffs. But I'm sure you know more about pitching arms than professional trainers.

IIRC weren't King Felix & David Price held on innings limits early on in their careers? I'm sure many more were as well. It's compounded by the fact Stras had TJ surgery already, and pitched only 44'ish innings in 2011. So if he were to go 210 innings, that's a HUGE leap.

My thing is, I fuking hate the idea of not seeing him pitch. Rustles my jimmies, bad. He's got 2 starts left, and if he goes out there and dominates, it's gonna make it even more difficult for me to accept the shutdown because I'm viewing it as if he looks healthy out there, he can probably start a couple extra games.. I don't know. Nationals consulted with numerous surgeons, trainers, etc. and they decided it's best for his long term health to shut him down. Homer in me is trying to fight it, but I know they're making the right move.

Bucher15
09-04-2012, 01:48 PM
Let's let the trainers and management do their job and make the call. I'd say they have a little better grasp on the situation than a bunch of people on an internet forum who probably have never even thrown a baseball.

Bucher15
09-04-2012, 01:50 PM

Great call on the Yanks....now with a whopping 1 game lead on the O's.

NJLife
09-04-2012, 02:07 PM
why are pitchers such a pussies these days? how come back in the day they could pitch complete games every start?

JBhaverhill
09-04-2012, 02:11 PM
why are pitchers such a pussies these days? how come back in the day they could pitch complete games every start?

40 years ago pitchers werent throwing 95+ (or if they did it was very very rare)

They had throwing motions that put less stress on the elbow and shoulder. Now days, every pitcher is trying to maximize speed and movement, thus you get motions that put alot of pressure on joints, tendons and muscles.

Notice how the guys getting Tommy John surgery are usually (if not always) guys throwing 95+

ZidaneValor
09-04-2012, 02:17 PM

That's not a fair assessment. Is there any evidence that Strasburg WANTS to be shutdown?

Greg1983
09-04-2012, 02:22 PM
40 years ago pitchers werent throwing 95+ (or if they did it was very very rare)

They had throwing motions that put less stress on the elbow and shoulder. Now days, every pitcher is trying to maximize speed and movement, thus you get motions that put alot of pressure on joints, tendons and muscles.

Notice how the guys getting Tommy John surgery are usually (if not always) guys throwing 95+

More breaking pitches being thrown as well, which adds a ton of stress. And let's not pretend guys haven't been retiring prematurely for decades. The workhorses with long careers that people remember are the exception, not the rule.