PDA

View Full Version : Josh Smith to the Lakers? [RUMOR]

Masstastic
08-13-2012, 07:57 PM
The LA Lakers just made the biggest trade of the NBA off-season, but is the front office finished making moves this summer?

The LA Times reported that the team was looking at trading veteran Pau Gasol to the Atlanta Hawks for Josh Smith a few weeks ago and now that the Lakers have added Dwight Howard, making a deal for his AAU playing partner could make this a complete team.

The Lakers have struggled to find a quality small forward for years and acquiring the young Smith could have this team contending for several titles. Gasol had a terrific summer playing for Spain in the Olympics, but his playoff struggles have fans and the team questioning his heart, but a move to Atlanta would breathe new life in the veteran and give the Hawks the experience they need.

http://sports.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474981540816

Not sure the legitimacy, but it popped up on my feed.

OliverSamsonite
08-13-2012, 07:59 PM
Smart thing to do would be to keep Gasol and get rid of that punk Artest.

regGQ
08-13-2012, 07:59 PM
31g0YE61PLQ

Masstastic
08-13-2012, 08:01 PM
Honestly, I think Josh Smith will be a Laker eventually.

Atlanta is going to have to part with him to get some sort of value, but I think Gasol would have to go to a 3rd team to do it.

WheyneNewton
08-13-2012, 08:07 PM

Atlanta is going to have to part with him to get some sort of value, but I think Gasol would have to go to a 3rd team to do it.

Stern just emailed me this screen cap.

http://i.imgur.com/ilkog.png

Masstastic
08-13-2012, 08:07 PM
Smart thing to do would be to keep Gasol and get rid of that punk Artest.

MWP has 2 years left and NO team wants him due to his issues, not even Charlotte would take him a few years ago. He's still a good perimeter defender when he's in shape.

Gasol is the "odd man out".

He is the 4th option on offense and will be permanently in a high post role that made him irrelevant last season.

An incredible 4th option, but his salary will remain more than his PPG.

JetLife21
08-13-2012, 08:09 PM
Right. Danny Ferry just spent the off-season blowing the team up and dumping bad contracts and now he is going to trade his best player for an over-priced contract?

Not happening/10

Masstastic
08-13-2012, 08:12 PM

LOL

Throw in 2 future 2nd round picks and its a go.

wsrballa14
08-13-2012, 08:15 PM

That's actually a pretty decent trade. Props.

Backus21
08-13-2012, 08:16 PM

Rockets and Timberwolves have been wanting Gasol so if this were to happen I wouldnt be surprised if they are involved. Maybe sending Derrick Williams to Atl or the Rockets sending Kmart and one of their rookies. Obviously picks would be involved as well

JetLife21
That's actually a pretty decent trade. Props.

Except for the fact that Atlanta just drafted John Jenkins and signed Lou Williams to a 3 year deal. You really think ATL wants 4 SG's?

PjzBoozer
Keep Pau.

I'm calling it, he will be the glue of the team.

Getting the extra work done and stepping up in the playoffs. No excuse not to now that they got Howard and Nash.

JetLife21
08-13-2012, 08:18 PM
Rockets and Timberwolves have been wanting Gasol so if this were to happen I wouldnt be surprised if they are involved. Maybe sending Derrick Williams to Atl or the Rockets sending Kmart and one of their rookies. Obviously picks would be involved as well

If the Hawks trade Smith it will be because they want to move Horford to PF. They aren't going to trade Smith for another tweener that will cause the same problem that they have now with Smith and Horford playing together.

businesslawbrah
I called this trade months ago.

My reliable sources are multiple and reliable

Masstastic
Right. Danny Ferry just spent the off-season blowing the team up and dumping bad contracts and now he is going to trade his best player for an over-priced contract?

Not happening/10

Josh Smith will be traded. Guarantee it. Bump this thread/post in 6 months when he is on a new team.

You honestly believe Danny Ferry is going to let another LeBron situation occur?

He has nothing to lose by leaving next summer.

Go ahead and call me stupid, say I don't know **** about basketball & the Hawks r bake without JJ

wsrballa14
08-13-2012, 08:20 PM
Except for the fact that Atlanta just drafted John Jenkins and signed Lou Williams to a 3 year deal. You really think ATL wants 4 SG's?

K, so swap out Jeremy Lamb for a guy like Royce White.

JetLife21
08-13-2012, 08:20 PM
Josh Smith will be traded. Guarantee it. Bump this thread/post in 6 months when he is on a new team.

You honestly believe Danny Ferry is going to let another LeBron situation occur?

He has nothing to lose by leaving next summer.

Go ahead and call me stupid, say I don't know **** about basketball & the Hawks r bake without JJ

I don't think it's a guarantee that Smith is traded this year. If he is traded though, it won't be any of these bogus trades that have been mentioned in this thread.

He will be traded for a true Center or a true SF or picks. The Hawks aren't about to take on Gasol's contract, 2 SG's or another tweener.

JetLife21
08-13-2012, 08:21 PM

So they are going to trade Josh Smith away for a ****ty contract in Kevin Martin when they just signed Lou and drafted Jenkins?

Do you even pretend to know how to build a team?

Masstastic
08-13-2012, 08:24 PM
If the Hawks trade Smith it will be because they want to move Horford to PF. They aren't going to trade Smith for another tweener that will cause the same problem that they have now with Smith and Horford playing together.

I agree with you on this. Hawks would move Smith to build around Horford at PF.

A 3rd team would be needed for Pau, but to send some talent/picks back to Atlanta.

Backus21
08-13-2012, 08:25 PM

No no I wasnt saying a swap of Smith for Pau. Something like what Wheyne put.

Lakers get Smith
T-Wolves get Pau
Hawks get picks, Derrick Williams, fillers

or

Lakers get Smith
Rockets get Pau
Hawks get Kmart and one of the 3 rookies, or picks. Something along those lines

JetLife21
08-13-2012, 08:27 PM
No no I wasnt saying a swap of Smith for Pau. Something like what Wheyne put.

Lakers get Smith
T-Wolves get Pau
Hawks get picks, Derrick Williams, fillers

or

Lakers get Smith
Rockets get Pau
Hawks get Kmart and one of the 3 rookies, or picks. Something along those lines

Both of those trades are worse than a swap for Pau. They dont want a tweener or an overpaid SG when they just invested in 2 this offseason.

Backus21
08-13-2012, 08:31 PM
Both of those trades are worse than a swap for Pau. They dont want a tweener or an overpaid SG when they just invested in 2 this offseason.

All I am saying is that Smith is being dealt. Williams has potential and can grow to be a good player at the 3 or 4. Kmart is overpaid but would be used as cap relief when his contract is up and you can get one of their rookies and/or draft picks.

Masstastic
08-13-2012, 08:32 PM

Rolls Royce is another tweener Forward. Wouldn't make sense.

I don't think it's a guarantee that Smith is traded this year. If he is traded though, it won't be any of these bogus trades that have been mentioned in this thread.

He will be traded for a true Center or a true SF or picks. The Hawks aren't about to take on Gasol's contract, 2 SG's or another tweener.
Its a guarantee, unless he signs an extension. Which he wont.

He's on the last year of his deal, Atlanta has no extra benefit to offer him as a FA, and he's poised to cash in next summer as the #1 FA on the market in the offseason of C-List "stars".(Josh, Monta, Big Al, Millsap, Kev-Mart, etc)

Its hard to find a true Center who is actually worth a damn tho, so Atlanta ending up with a SF is more likely.

What about Denver? Wilson Chandler, expirers + picks?

JetLife21
08-13-2012, 08:33 PM
I just looked at that link and realized that you made a thread about something that came from Larry Seely. I have more inside info on the NBA than this fool and I have none.

wsrballa14
08-13-2012, 08:34 PM
So they are going to trade Josh Smith away for a ****ty contract in Kevin Martin when they just signed Lou and drafted Jenkins?

Do you even pretend to know how to build a team?

Yeah, it gives them a pair of young, versatile 4's and a good sized expiring contract they can use to go after a center like Bynum (if he doesn't re-up with Philly) or Pekovic. Not like Atlanta has any chance at making a run for the title next year.

Otaman
08-13-2012, 08:35 PM
would make Lakers more athletic and younger

but I don't know, I would love to see that Nash and Gasol pick and roll, and how Gasol and Howard works out

lee4
08-13-2012, 08:35 PM
if this happens, the suns fan in me will die.

JetLife21
08-13-2012, 08:37 PM

He's on the last year of his deal, Atlanta has no extra benefit to offer him as a FA, and he's poised to cash in next summer as the #1 FA on the market in the offseason of C-List "stars".(Josh, Monta, Big Al, Millsap, Kev-Mart, etc)

Its hard to find a true Center who is actually worth a damn tho, so Atlanta ending up with a SF is more likely.

99% of people underrate the hell out of Josh Smith. He is worth more than that. I'm going to state now that Smith will not be traded this year. Ferry has done an excellent job at setting up the Hawks for a chance to go after 2 max contracts next year. You can't tell me a roster of Teague, Williams, Smith, Horford. (+ a top FA wouldn't make Josh happy.)

The Hawks will not have near the drop off this year as most people like to think as well.

Masstastic
08-13-2012, 08:40 PM

The Minnesota deal sounds feasible.

Williams (SF/PF), Pekovic (C), Ridnour, & Cunningham + pick(s)

Not too bad of a haul for Atlanta if Smith has to go.

JetLife21
08-13-2012, 08:42 PM

Except for they have a full roster. How do they make the space for 3 additional players.

MarcusWelby
08-13-2012, 08:49 PM
Gasol is better than Josh Smiff. Downgrade for LA.

Masstastic
08-13-2012, 08:55 PM
99% of people underrate the hell out of Josh Smith. He is worth more than that. I'm going to state now that Smith will not be traded this year. Ferry has done an excellent job at setting up the Hawks for a chance to go after 2 max contracts next year. You can't tell me a roster of Teague, Williams, Smith, Horford. (+ a top FA wouldn't make Josh happy.)

The Hawks will not have near the drop off this year as most people like to think as well.

The problem is Atlanta has the cap space to turn an above average player into a "Max contract", because the guys actually worth that kind of money aren't hitting the market next offseason to go to Atlanta. You think Dwight or CP3 are both leaving LA to go play for the Hawks? Lets be honest here.

We're talking Andrew Bynum.

We're talking Andrew Bynum on a 5 year, $100 Million deal

You want that?

Masstastic
08-13-2012, 09:02 PM
Except for they have a full roster. How do they make the space for 3 additional players.

Scott & Williams got guaranteed contracts? They could be waived to make room.

businesslawbrah
08-13-2012, 09:53 PM
I'm really curious to see what Massphaggit has to say on the U.S Mens bball team winning gold in London?

dasfeuer
08-13-2012, 10:04 PM

He's the #1 FA over Dwight, CP3, and Bynum? Makes sense

serevei
08-13-2012, 10:04 PM

no way in hell minnesota offer this...

minnesota can't currently trade for pau due to not being able to trade recently signed contracts etc...

deal would be williams + picks/filler.... NO WAY IN HELL IS PEKOVIC GOING TO BE INVOLVED

Masstastic
08-13-2012, 11:53 PM
He's the #1 FA over Dwight, CP3, and Bynum? Makes sense

Dwight & CP3 aren't hitting the open market.

They're going to wrap up 5/$109 Million deals as soon as the season ends.

I'd put Josh Smith over Bynum. (srs) Good Center, bad knees, no heart

Masstastic
08-13-2012, 11:55 PM
I'm really curious to see what Massphaggit has to say on the U.S Mens bball team winning gold in London?

Penis.

Masstastic
08-13-2012, 11:56 PM
no way in hell minnesota offer this...

minnesota can't currently trade for pau due to not being able to trade recently signed contracts etc...

deal would be williams + picks/filler.... NO WAY IN HELL IS PEKOVIC GOING TO BE INVOLVED

What is the point of keeping Pekovic in a Gasol deal?

I understand he's a solid C, but Gasol adds an entirely new dimension to their frontcourt.

DFINC
08-14-2012, 12:00 AM
Josh Smith is not better than Gasol..would be a dumb trade for the Lakers

its50
08-14-2012, 12:04 AM
dear god no, unless we fleece them for just mwp

GPx
08-14-2012, 12:04 AM
Please don't happen.

3 new starters will be a catastrophe.

Masstastic
08-14-2012, 12:05 AM
Josh Smith is not better than Gasol..would be a dumb trade for the Lakers

More skilled? No.

A better fit for the Lakers now & moving forward? Yes.

Masstastic
08-14-2012, 12:06 AM
Please don't happen.

3 new starters will be a catastrophe.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb152/kae-bo/mikewhoa.gif

MurkinSeason
08-14-2012, 12:08 AM
They wont allow LA to be bad. They just wont..

HelloDurr
08-14-2012, 12:09 AM
Leave pau alone. Man he is always on the trading block. Feel sorry for the man.

Bet he wants to retire as a lakers too

Hoop_Dreams
08-14-2012, 12:12 AM
Before Pau went HAM in the Olympics I would've considered it. But after seein him play like he's 26 again, you have to keep him now since his unselfish play and high BB IQ would mesh perfectly with Nash, Kobe and D12.

gswarrior510
08-14-2012, 12:13 AM
Wouldnt mind..dat defense

best front court defense since 99

AceHigh03
08-14-2012, 12:15 AM
dude has every high ceiling but i dont he will fit with the lakers

plus he dumb as fuk instead of dominating the paint he tries to shoot too may jump shots

Pau>>

Masstastic
08-14-2012, 12:16 AM
Before Pau went HAM in the Olympics I would've considered it. But after seein him play like he's 26 again, you have to keep him now since his unselfish play and high BB IQ would mesh perfectly with Nash, Kobe and D12.
But at what cost?

http://s13.postimage.org/wa5mma3sn/Lakers_Luxury_Tax.png

Nocturne808
08-14-2012, 12:17 AM
Why anyone would trade Gasol is fukkin stupid.

Ever since Lamar got traded to Dallas, things have been going downhill.

Sad cuz I am a Lakers fan, and hope they upgrade. Dumbazz management better not trade Gasol brah. Gasol and Howard would be like the Twin Towers down there with Nash and Kobe.

I don't know why they picked up Nash tho, Nash is a depreciating asset, don't get me wrong he is very solid player, but still he's like what 35? Too old to build for a future.

Masstastic
08-14-2012, 12:24 AM
dude has every high ceiling but i dont he will fit with the lakers

plus he dumb as fuk instead of dominating the paint he tries to shoot too may jump shots

Pau>>

Why would a 6'8/6'9-ish oversized Small Forward be dominating in the paint?

He's a Faceup 4 because they dont want him at the 3 full time.

Yeah he gets trigger happy with his jumpshot, but overall he's one of the most versatile Forwards in the NBA.

You put him in a structured Princeton Offense that they're supposedly going to run, unlike what he's had with Woodson's "Iso Joe" offense and Drew's "Just chuck it up" offense, who knows how productive he could be.

J-Smoove is the closest thing(not that close) to LeBron in the NBA from a physical/skill set standpoint.

Masstastic
08-14-2012, 12:25 AM

Sad cuz I am a Lakers fan, and hope they upgrade. Dumbazz management better not trade Gasol brah. Gasol and Howard would be like the Twin Towers down there with Nash and Kobe.

I don't know why they picked up Nash tho, Nash is a depreciating asset, don't get me wrong he is very solid player, but still he's like what 35? Too old to build for a future.

Nash is 38 approaching 39 bruh.

He's still one of the Top 10 PG's in this league and will make things easier for everyone on the floor.

AceHigh03
08-14-2012, 12:31 AM
Why would a 6'8/6'9-ish oversized Small Forward be dominating in the paint?

He's a Faceup 4 because they dont want him at the 3 full time.

Yeah he gets trigger happy with his jumpshot, but overall he's one of the most versatile Forwards in the NBA.

You put him in a structured Princeton Offense that they're supposedly going to run, unlike what he's had with Woodson's "Iso Joe" offense and Drew's "Just chuck it up" offense, who knows how productive he could be.

J-Smoove is the closest thing(not that close) to LeBron in the NBA from a physical/skill set standpoint.

i agree about him being the closest thing to lebron but the guy cant shoot for shiit so he needs to stay around the rim with a post game or dunking the ball

btw im a huge fan of him

he just wont fit with the lakers

serevei
08-14-2012, 12:35 AM
What is the point of keeping Pekovic in a Gasol deal?

I understand he's a solid C, but Gasol adds an entirely new dimension to their frontcourt.

there are 96 big man minutes having a starting quality player play all of them is obviously desired, would give best big man rotation in the league bar none SRS...

oh and gasol doesnt have that kind of value (pek+dwill) period.

serevei
08-14-2012, 12:36 AM

Agreed the pick and roll with him and nash will be an absolute thing of beauty.

Masstastic
08-14-2012, 12:38 AM
there are 96 big man minutes having a starting quality player play all of them is obviously desired, would give best big man rotation in the league bar none SRS...

oh and gasol doesnt have that kind of value (pek+dwill) period.

What? Pekovic & Derrick Williams have more value than Gasol?

Masstastic
08-14-2012, 12:41 AM
i agree about him being the closest thing to lebron but the guy cant shoot for shiit so he needs to stay around the rim with a post game or dunking the ball

btw im a huge fan of him

he just wont fit with the lakers
True.

Thats why he would excel in a situation in LA. More structure + a PG who can create opportunities for him

His jumpshooting has only gotten so bad because he has a coach that supports it, efficiency-wise he isn't terrible but he takes too many bad shots away from the basket.

serevei
08-14-2012, 12:45 AM
What? Pekovic & Derrick Williams have more value than Gasol?

combined yes.... pekovic is an absolutely sensational player (not sure how you value/how much u know about him but....) elite offensive rebounder + elite efficiency in the post and best post positioning in the league bar none... and is a perfect offensive fit next to love.....although i personally am not a fan of dwill he obviously still has very high potential if given the opportunity to succeed and he has obviously has high value /wont be traded unless high value return..

what kills gasol's value is that trade kicker ... paying 20+ mill for a 32 year old who has underperformed as of late (disregard fiba ball because of who was defending him...) just doesnt fit the twolves at all and would absolutely cripple their flexibility...

for the record I'll also say that kahn has most likely never even expressed interest in gasol... simply leaked reports from la in an attempt to boost his value... (although prob shouldnt get into that :) )

newtmiscer
08-14-2012, 12:50 AM

yeah giving kobe a real starting lineup and some bench depth is downhill

Nocturne808
08-14-2012, 02:05 AM
yeah giving kobe a real starting lineup and some bench depth is downhill

Steve Nash is 39. Even great players like MJ, there abilities were much diminished at that age, but I guess u are right in sense since Nash has never had athletic ability, but a high basketball IQ and knew how to use the pick and roll and pass, those things don't get bad with age. But creaky joints, old age playing with all those young boys lol, that's what I'm concerned about.

AmazinJason
08-14-2012, 02:12 AM
Steve Nash is 39. Even great players like MJ, there abilities were much diminished at that age, but I guess u are right in sense since Nash has never had athletic ability, but a high basketball IQ and knew how to use the pick and roll and pass, those things don't get bad with age. But creaky joints, old age playing with all those young boys lol, that's what I'm concerned about.
Why are you comparing Nash to Jordan? Stockton would be a better comparison.

DaBest12
08-14-2012, 02:25 AM
Would love to see how Nash and Gasol pick and roll works before Lakers just trade him away.. Josh Smith is good but Pau can be really good with Nash running the point.

dab0osh
08-14-2012, 02:49 AM
Josh Smith will have another season in ATL

nikonD70s
08-14-2012, 03:19 AM
as a laker fan. i personally dont like this trade. pau may be getting old. but dude can still play and score. smith style is similiar to howard. plays good D and can block, but dude is a horrible perimeter shooter and free thrower. and his style of shooting the ball looks slow and ugly.we have howard for inside. we need pau for outside. pau can play inside and out. draw big men outside. if they dont go out pau can shoot the outside shots. and when drawing big men out howard can get offensive rebounds. with this trade lakers only getting a lil younger. but i still like pau over smith.

i still wish we didnt give away odom. imo his length would of caused problems for durant and only one on the lakers that can guard durant last season. length vs length

gswarrior510
08-14-2012, 03:40 AM
as a laker fan. i personally dont like this trade. pau may be getting old. but dude can still play and score. smith style is similiar to howard. plays good D and can block, but dude is a horrible perimeter shooter and free thrower. and his style of shooting the ball looks slow and ugly.we have howard for inside. we need pau for outside. pau can play inside and out. draw big men outside. if they dont go out pau can shoot the outside shots. and when drawing big men out howard can get offensive rebounds. with this trade lakers only getting a lil younger. but i still like pau over smith.

i still wish we didnt give away odom. imo his length would of caused problems for durant and only one on the lakers that can guard durant last season. length vs length

errr...defense? Josh Smith is 3x the defender Pau is..and will help the lakers' transition offense.

just saying. And lol at Odom trying to guard Durant. Come on bro.

serevei
08-14-2012, 04:33 AM
I think simply neither team do it...

financially it doesnt make sense at all for Atlanta and really the only advantage of having smith over pau for the lakers is that it might make dwight definitely stay (personally i think he stays regardless...)... the pau-nash pick and roll is going to be ridiculous... nash passes to the rolling pau who being the best big man passer in the game dishes it off after drawing the double team for the easy dwight dunk... run that all day... and i hate the lakers lol

JetLife21
08-14-2012, 06:42 AM
It's not happening folks. Mass took a quote from Larry fukn Sealy and decided to make a thread about it. This is like taking a quote from a random twitter account and using it as fact.

jamnajh
08-14-2012, 08:55 AM
If the lakers trade pay for smith I think that it makes them worse tbh. He will command shots. And on a team with D12 and Kobe that's not something you can get away with. I think right now Pau is exactly what ymthey need and they would be foolish to trade him. Their front line is what makes them so dangerous to the heat and thunder. Giving up Pau makes things easier. Lebron/kd/sefalosha/battier can all guard smith reasonably well. Obviously he is a better player than The last two. But I think It makes them worse

CurryTech777
08-14-2012, 10:35 AM
If the lakers trade pay for smith I think that it makes them worse tbh. He will command shots. And on a team with D12 and Kobe that's not something you can get away with. I think right now Pau is exactly what ymthey need and they would be foolish to trade him. Their front line is what makes them so dangerous to the heat and thunder. Giving up Pau makes things easier. Lebron/kd/sefalosha/battier can all guard smith reasonably well. Obviously he is a better player than The last two. But I think It makes them worse

front line may give them the edge on offense but not always on defense vs a jump shooting team like the thunder.

MoMoneyMoProbs
08-14-2012, 11:56 AM
This trade isn't happening. Kobe has made his intentions clear that he wants to play with Gasol and trading for Smith would be a down grade.