PDA

View Full Version : How can I improve my diet?

honda2588
08-13-2012, 04:25 PM
Hello, I am 16 years old and looking on ideas to improve my diet. I am an active lifter, 140lbs and 5'9", currently trying to gain muscle mass.

Breakfast:
Rolled oats/milk/dried prunes/milled flax seed
Almonds
Banana
Multi vitamin/fish oil tablet

Post workout:
Whey protein isolates/milk
Sweet potato

Lunch:
Chicken breast
Brown rice
Frozen vegetables
Orange

Mid-day snack:
Carrot
Apple/peanut butter
Fish oil tablet

Dinner:
Some type of meat
Pinto beans
Salad/walnuts

Before bed snack:
Blue berries
Milk

toodlepip
08-13-2012, 05:13 PM
I think that's a pretty awesome looking variety of foods for a 16 yr old. Do you know the macro/cal breakdown? Not that it is necessary to get anal about that stuff at your age but without specific quantities it's hard to know at a glance if any area is lacking - like say fats or protein - but like I said, seems to be a pretty rounded diet.

If you're simply looking to up your cals easily fats or liquids (protein shakes etc.) are simple ways. If you feel you are hitting your protein already add some fun carbs in. You can also just up portion sizes...say 6 oz instead of 4, 1 cup instead of half.

Holly2710
08-13-2012, 05:50 PM
Wow, really good diet for someone your age. I remember starting when I was 17 and people at school thought I was crazy for eating chicken and broc**** every day. You could up the protein a bit for your mid day snack, maybe make some homeade protein bars (yum!). A really great protein before bed is cottage cheese, maybe mix that up instead of having your glass of milk? Keep up eating clean, trust me, it pays off!!!

kimm4
08-13-2012, 06:38 PM
Hello, I am 16 years old and looking on ideas to improve my diet. I am an active lifter, 140lbs and 5'9", currently trying to gain muscle mass.

Breakfast:
Rolled oats/milk/dried prunes/milled flax seed
Almonds
Banana
Multi vitamin/fish oil tablet

Post workout:
Whey protein isolates/milk
Sweet potato

Lunch:
Chicken breast
Brown rice
Frozen vegetables
Orange

Mid-day snack:
Carrot
Apple/peanut butter
Fish oil tablet

Dinner:
Some type of meat
Pinto beans
Salad/walnuts

Before bed snack:
Blue berries
Milk

Adding muscle comes down to eating in a calorie surplus. Feel free to use a wide variety of all foods you enjoy.

NuWaveFitness
08-13-2012, 07:50 PM
Thats a solid meal plan if you feel you arent gaining mass quick enough then you can also get extra calories from liquid consumption. Thats the easiest way to increase the calories so you are always in surplus! :)

honda2588
08-14-2012, 06:30 AM
Thanks guys for the feedback!
One day I wrote down the amount of protein I took in and the total calories and it was 2900 calories and 155g of protein. Do I need to add even more protein than 1g/lb? Instead of the 1 scoop of isolates should I use a mass gainer type shake? And i'm not a big fan on sodium, and cottage cheese is loaded with it, any other pre-bed time ideas that have a good amount of casein protein?

oregonchick76
08-14-2012, 08:45 AM
Thanks guys for the feedback!
One day I wrote down the amount of protein I took in and the total calories and it was 2900 calories and 155g of protein. Do I need to add even more protein than 1g/lb? Instead of the 1 scoop of isolates should I use a mass gainer type shake? And i'm not a big fan on sodium, and cottage cheese is loaded with it, any other pre-bed time ideas that have a good amount of casein protein?You def don't need a mass gainer and 1g per lb of body weight on the protein should be fine. I have heard of upping that during a diet, but 1g per lb is a good target. Women can only gain abt 1lb of muscle per month max, so there is no reason to be gaining really fast - all the extra weight will be as fat. So a 1/2 lb weight gain per week, plenty of protein and fats (are you getting at least .4g of fat per lb of body weight?), and lift heavy. That's pretty much it.

honda2588
08-14-2012, 11:24 AM
Why not a mass gainer shake? Wouldn't they be a good replacement for a protein shake if you want more mass?