PDA

View Full Version : When will Chapman become a starter?

Future24
08-13-2012, 02:37 PM
One of the best closers in the game right now. Possibility for next year?

Nara62629
08-13-2012, 02:40 PM
can he throw 100+ pitches?

taxe91
08-13-2012, 05:46 PM
"One of the best closers in the game right now" is exactly why he shouldn't become one.

Besides, he's only got 2 pitches.. as good as he is I think major league hitters can get locked in on him the 2nd/3rd time through

sups31
08-13-2012, 05:50 PM
It's Joba all over again. He's meant for the bullpen, period. If they move him into the rotation they'd fukk everything up.

chlaxman
08-13-2012, 06:01 PM
That velocity can't hold up as a starter.

GPx
08-13-2012, 06:06 PM
OP is clearly new to baseball.

melanimal_old
08-13-2012, 06:07 PM
"One of the best closers in the game right now" is exactly why he shouldn't become one.

Besides, he's only got 2 pitches.. as good as he is I think major league hitters can get locked in on him the 2nd/3rd time through

he has more than 2 pitches. He also was the ace of the Cuban national team

ivegotbigballs
08-13-2012, 06:21 PM
Lifelong Reds fan checking in. I strongly believe he will be in the rotation next season. Its very likely he would have gotten an opportunity this year, if it weren't for the preseason injury to our planned closer Ryan Madson.

I'm cautiously optimistic for him being a closer. He really only has two pitches, his fastball and a slider which he had no control of whatsoever until this season. He does have a changeup in his arsenal but very rarely, if ever, throws it. He was the Reds most dominant starter during spring training, for what its worth

gottk2x
08-13-2012, 06:31 PM
OP is clearly new to baseball.

Don't blame him. He's used to the way the Cub's organization handles things.

TTexasTT
08-13-2012, 06:40 PM
doubt he could throw strikes for 5 innings.

GPx
08-13-2012, 06:42 PM
Don't blame him. He's used to the way the Cub's organization handles things.

He's not. He's new to baseball. :)

(he's also new to COD)

melanimal_old
08-13-2012, 06:46 PM
Lifelong Reds fan checking in. I strongly believe he will be in the rotation next season. Its very likely he would have gotten an opportunity this year, if it weren't for the preseason injury to our planned closer Ryan Madson.

I'm cautiously optimistic for him being a closer. He really only has two pitches, his fastball and a slider which he had no control of whatsoever until this season. He does have a changeup in his arsenal but very rarely, if ever, throws it. He was the Reds most dominant starter during spring training, for what its worth

not gonna happen with good ole Dusty managing. Hes forever a reliever now

Future24
08-13-2012, 06:46 PM

Besides, he's only got 2 pitches.. as good as he is I think major league hitters can get locked in on him the 2nd/3rd time throughI don't think he should be a starter either but they already talked about it for this year before injuries forced him to the bullpen.

Shiden11
08-13-2012, 06:50 PM
He was the best starter for the Reds in spring training and he was a starter for the Cuban team (both already mentioned here). I don't see why people think he can't start. I don't see why he can't hit 99-100 as a starter. He does need to learn to use at least a second and third pitch. His slider can be devastating at times (hard break coming in at 89-90), he just needs to be more consistent with it.

My argument for why he should be in the rotation is that you have to have shutdown starters in the playoffs and the Reds only have Cueto right now, maybe Latos (a big maybe). The Reds have 5 good starters but they don't have a rotation built for the playoffs. A dominant closer is nice to have but a dominant starter is more important, especially in October.

dougefresh93
08-13-2012, 11:12 PM
It's Joba all over again. He's meant for the bullpen, period. If they move him into the rotation they'd fukk everything up.

like me?

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt103/12AllStar24/Banners/Neftali.png

evilsteve02
08-14-2012, 05:00 PM
One of the best closers in the game right now. Possibility for next year?

Never if the Reds are smart. The rotation is already awesome, no need for him to go from a beast closer to a average starter.

Vayne
08-14-2012, 05:52 PM
I could see some hitters taking him out of the ballpark.