PDA

View Full Version : People are overreacting on this hit (DRC hit vs Steelers) (VID)

regGQ
08-13-2012, 02:13 PM
gpHUWD4xrHk

Rodgers-Cromartie is in line for a significant fine — maybe six figures. I think it’s worthy of a suspension. That’s one of the most egregious hits I’ve seen in the league in the last couple of years — worse than James Harrison on Colt McCoy, because you could argue that Harrison thought McCoy was a runner when he lined him up to hit him. Rodgers-Cromartie launched himself in violation of a well-publicized rule, and then hit Leftwich in the head in violation of a well-publicized rule.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1171687/kgface_medium.gif

scotyg
08-13-2012, 02:17 PM
op's team: philadelphia

NoS_oUtLaSt
08-13-2012, 02:18 PM
I thought once the QB leaves the pocket he is considered a runner and can be tackled by any means necessary. Even if though slightly dumb by DRC. Its the QB and its preseason. Gotta know something will get called.

regGQ
08-13-2012, 02:20 PM
I thought once the QB leaves the pocket he is considered a runner and can be tackled by any means necessary. Even if though slightly dumb by DRC. Its the QB and its preseason. Gotta know something will get called.
I expected a fine but six figures is unheard of.

Dave P
08-13-2012, 02:21 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1286480/leftwich.gif

thegenerel
08-13-2012, 02:23 PM
he is a moron, 50k should be the floor for this fine. its preseason and it was egregious before the rules got tighter.

Philth-Philt-Philthadelphia

Ecnewyx
08-13-2012, 02:23 PM

Even if that's correct DRC made the "tackle" by launching towards Leftwich's head.

It's either atrociously bad tackling form (should fine the Eagles defensive coach) or a pretty deliberate attempt to injure. Why it'd be the latter though, I dunno... Why he'd have wit out for Leftwich in a preseason game is beyond me.

Wu-Massacre
08-13-2012, 02:29 PM
Even if that's correct DRC made the "tackle" by launching towards Leftwich's head.

It's either atrociously bad tackling form (should fine the Eagles defensive coach) or a pretty deliberate attempt to injure. Why it'd be the latter though, I dunno... Why he'd have wit out for Leftwich in a preseason game is beyond me.So now the Coaches should get fined for the tackles the players make on the field? This is the dumbes phucking thing i've ever heard

Big_Pete1000
08-13-2012, 02:46 PM
Looked like it was more shoulder pad to shoulder pad hit.

But he did "launch" himself which is a fine I do believe. Does DRC have any prior fines or violations like this? If this is his first he might get off real easy.

Mac_xX
08-13-2012, 02:46 PM
So now the Coaches should get fined for the tackles the players make on the field? This is the dumbes phucking thing i've ever heard

Pretty sure that was a joke.

In any event, it was a direct attempt to hit the head of Leftwich. He gon' get fined.

Ecnewyx
08-13-2012, 03:04 PM
So now the Coaches should get fined for the tackles the players make on the field? This is the dumbes phucking thing i've ever heard

The "joke" was just that it was atrociously bad tackling form, and if that's how the Eagles coach is teaching defensive players to tackle then he should be fined because he's obviously not doing a very good job at it...

But the fact that you thought I was serious is now the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Edit:

6-figure penalty is uncalled for. But if I'm Goodell I'd consider suspending him a game because there is absolutely no excuse for that. It IS worse than Harrison's play.

bdub69
08-13-2012, 03:07 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1286480/leftwich.gif

That is a dirty hit. He left his feet and launched towards Leftwich's head.

ccj804
08-13-2012, 03:11 PM
Looked like it was more shoulder pad to shoulder pad hit.

But he did "launch" himself which is a fine I do believe. Does DRC have any prior fines or violations like this? If this is his first he might get off real easy.

this. it was a fuking shoulder pad hit. had it been his helmet I could understand.

PatHead
08-13-2012, 03:18 PM
nfl is trying to make a point early this season, they have been cracking down for 3 years now on headshots and these idiots aren't learning.

up the fines until players stop doing it, cool by me

VictimNumber2
08-13-2012, 03:24 PM
Considering he launched himself at Leftwich's shoulder/head, he deserves to be fined. I don't know about six figures....$25,000 sounds right to me.

BenadrylBandit
08-13-2012, 03:30 PM
he is a moron, 50k should be the floor for this fine. its preseason and it was egregious before the rules got tighter.

Philth-Philt-Philthadelphia

http://mobilwi.typepad.com/.a/6a0120a6dde087970b01630452b939970d-800wi
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1060444/nealhit_medium.gif

*insert cheap james harrison hit gif*

NoS_oUtLaSt
08-13-2012, 03:31 PM
He can launch wherever he wants as long as Leftwich is a runner. That play is never fined or flagged for a running back. Shouldnt be any different for QBs

kethnaab
08-13-2012, 04:20 PM
He can launch wherever he wants as long as Leftwich is a runner. That play is never fined or flagged for a running back. Shouldnt be any different for QBs

uh, you did see him throw the ball, right?

personally, I don't like the vaginification of the NFL, but at least be consistent about it (Goodell, not you NoS)

scotyg
08-13-2012, 04:27 PM
IMO its not because he hit the qb hard or anything like that, its because he intentionally launched himself. Even if he wasn't going for a head shot, that is the worst way to attempt a tackle in the open field.

Either way, DRC is an idiot to do that.

Loswaldo
08-13-2012, 04:32 PM
It's a straight up legit tackle/hit.

He left his pocket/pocket folded, he ran. He is now scrambling and becomes a running back its fair game.

If he gets fined or even suspended for this then Roger Goodell is a phaggot.

_NEMESIS_
08-13-2012, 04:41 PM
http://mobilwi.typepad.com/.a/6a0120a6dde087970b01630452b939970d-800wi
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1060444/nealhit_medium.gif

*insert cheap james harrison hit gif*

This. Pittsburgh is terrible.

VictimNumber2
08-13-2012, 04:45 PM
There shall be no unnecessary roughness. This shall include, but will not be limited to:
(j) if a player illegally launches into a defenseless opponent. It is an illegal launch if a player (1) leaves
both feet prior to contact to spring forward and upward into his opponent, and (2) uses any part of his
helmet (including the top/crown and forehead/”hairline” parts) to initiate forcible contact against any
part of his opponent’s body.

That hit is absolutely illegal and he should be fined. That is in no way, shape, or form a legit or legal hit.

NoS_oUtLaSt
08-13-2012, 05:41 PM
uh, you did see him throw the ball, right?

personally, I don't like the vaginification of the NFL, but at least be consistent about it (Goodell, not you NoS)

yeah but it was pretty quick play. He was charging the LOS when DRC went in for the launch. Agree on the consistency part which is just going to continue to get even worse with a rotation of new refs.

IMO its not because he hit the qb hard or anything like that, its because he intentionally launched himself. Even if he wasn't going for a head shot, that is the worst way to attempt a tackle in the open field.

Either way, DRC is an idiot to do that.

Agree with it being a terrible way to attempt a tackle but Eagles CBs are notorious for their great tackling after last season. Dumb launch was dumb but technically its within the rules(at least from what I know) but he will get flagged everytime because its a QB.

I mean seriously its a 180 lbs CB trying to tackle a 250 lbs QB. Either he could hit him hard high, hard low(which will also be a flag for whatever reason), or he could have hit him straight up in the middle without launching which would have been the least efficent for a small corner as it would take him a while to drag him down and Leftwich would still have time to get rid of the ball.

jarrydm
08-13-2012, 06:08 PM
Jesus h christmas, will goodel go ahead and make them wear flags already? Thats obviously the direction this league is headed. I have seen harder and more malicious hits in ****ing pee wee...

canuckathlete
08-13-2012, 06:35 PM
Nobody defending this hit defended the Harrison hit last year. Even though the Harrison hit was a lot faster between the Qb's release and the hit, and he didn't leave his feet...

Just because Harrison is "mean" and he hits harder than DMC's weak attempt.

chlaxman
08-13-2012, 07:06 PM
Well lets see:

1) QB throwing a pass
2) He jumps into his head
3) Throws an elbow into the head

Whatever you may feel for the rule, those 3 things are clearly and obviously against the rules. So yeah, he's ****ed.

And he's a retarded, terrible CB so whatever.

regGQ
08-13-2012, 07:12 PM
Well lets see:

1) QB throwing a pass
2) He jumps into his head
3) Throws an elbow into the head

Whatever you may feel for the rule, those 3 things are clearly and obviously against the rules. So yeah, he's ****ed.

And he's a retarded, terrible CB so whatever.
look at that gif, he left his feet when the ball was still in the QB's hands.

There was no elbow anywhere it was all shoulder. LOL @ terrible CB, you'd be all over his D if he was in Carolina.

chlaxman
08-13-2012, 07:15 PM
look at that gif, he left his feet when the ball was still in the QB's hands.

There was no elbow anywhere it was all shoulder. LOL @ terrible CB, he would easily be your #1 corner in Carolina.

He clearly aimed for his head. He knew it was a QB. Sorry that's the end of discussion.

And I'd rather have Gamble and rookie Norman than DRC and his dumbass.

Ecnewyx
08-13-2012, 07:18 PM
If anything, DRC is lucky that Leftwich jumped on the pass otherwise he would've hit Leftwich even HIGHER up. As it is he caught Leftwich in the head/neck/shoulder.

So where was DRC aiming? Launching with his shoulder toward Leftwich's head?

Strong tackle attempt.

regGQ
08-13-2012, 07:25 PM
He clearly aimed for his head. He knew it was a QB. Sorry that's the end of discussion.

And I'd rather have Gamble and rookie Norman than DRC and his dumbass.
You didn't catch my ninja edit forgot you had Gamble who's underrated imo but surely you jest about Norman...surely

I OuTsiDeR I
08-13-2012, 07:29 PM
Lets play touch instead. NFL is so lame. Don't give me they care about player safety crap.

They fine players for hits yet they make Greatest Hits video's.

chlaxman
08-13-2012, 07:37 PM
You didn't catch my ninja edit forgot you had Gamble who's underrated imo but surely you jest about Norman...surely

Mostly I'm mocking DRC's intelligence there. Yes I'd take him as our 2, but that doesn't really say much considering our 2 CB...

SmillironS
08-13-2012, 08:24 PM
It will be I treating to see what comes of this. I'd bet a lot of money that it will be a slap on the wrist simply because DRC isn't James Harrison, he doesn't play for the Steelers, and the play happened against the Steelers.

Ecnewyx
08-13-2012, 08:27 PM
Lets play touch instead. NFL is so lame. Don't give me they care about player safety crap.

They fine players for hits yet they make Greatest Hits video's.

Did they make one recently?

http://i43.tower.com/images/mm107923134/nfls-greatest-hits-vhs-cover-art.jpg

'cause this **** came out in 1992.

kethnaab
08-14-2012, 02:43 PM
It's a straight up legit tackle/hit.

not in today's NFL

He left his pocket/pocket folded, he ran. He is now scrambling and becomes a running back its fair game.

this is incorrect, and was 'cleared up' last year.

If he gets fined or even suspended for this then Roger Goodell is a phaggot.

incorrect. Goodell is a phaggot regardless of the outcome. If he gets fined/suspended, it would be consistent with the precedent set in the previous seasons. Consistency isn't ole' Roge's "strength", so I wouldn't be surprised if DRC gets a slap on the wrist.

Dumb launch was dumb but technically its within the rules(at least from what I know) but he will get flagged everytime because its a QB.

he launched and hit a QB in the shoulder/facemask area while the QB was a 'defenseless player' (i.e. a QB trying to throw the ball)

Nobody defending this hit defended the Harrison hit last year. Even though the Harrison hit was a lot faster between the Qb's release and the hit, and he didn't leave his feet...

Just because Harrison is "mean" and he hits harder than DMC's weak attempt.

legitimate statement

It will be I treating to see what comes of this. I'd bet a lot of money that it will be a slap on the wrist simply because DRC isn't James Harrison, he doesn't play for the Steelers, and the play happened against the Steelers.

probably.

19jeff83
08-14-2012, 03:08 PM
Who gives a $hit it was Byron fuukkking Leftwich!!!

Naterfy
08-14-2012, 03:16 PM
Oh boo fukin hoo. It's the NFL for crying out. The league's been getting soft.