PDA

View Full Version : Realgm gives the Magic B+ grade on the Dwight Howard trade, what grade do you give?

Jess40
08-12-2012, 04:35 PM
"If Rob Hennigan was general manager of the Magic in 2004, Dwight Howard would have already have multiple championships.

When Tracy McGrady requested a trade from the Magic after that season, he was dealt to the Rockets in exchange for Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley and Kelvin Cato. Orlando received no picks in the trade and they began to build around Howard as a mediocre team.

The Magic had the 11th selection in 2005 (Fran Vazquez) and 2006 (J.J. Redick), then traded what would be the 15th overall pick in 2007 for Darko Milicic. Orlando then selected 22nd in 2008 (Courtney Lee) and traded away the 27th pick in 2009.

Contrast that with the Thunder, who had the fourth pick in 2008 (Russell Westbrook) and third pick in 2009 (James Harden) to add to Kevin Durant with the second overall pick in 2007. Sam Presti, Hennigan's mentor, immediately traded away Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis with virtually nothing in return because he was committed to building around Durant over the long-term.

The objective is to be extraordinarily bad for several subsequent seasons, accumulate high drafted prospects, develop that talent and then draft complementary players with the additional picks.

Hennigan comes from the Spurs/Thunder tree and this is the path Orlando will head down over the next three or four seasons.

Trading away Howard should theoretically give the Magic a better return on paper than Arron Afflalo, Nikola Vucevic, Maurice Harkless, Al Harrington, Josh McRoberts, three protected future first rounders and a second rounder, but it is certainly a better trade than Luis Scola, Kevin Martin, Lamar Odom and Goran Dragic (Hornets' original agreed trade of Chris Paul). Afflalo may not be as good as Eric Gordon and the pick that became Austin Rivers (Clippers' trade), but he is a legitimate two-way starter at shooting guard.

The real value in the trade is the stockpile of picks and the ability to be bad. The Magic may not have acquired any player in this deal that will ever play in an All-Star Game, but they are off the mediocrity treadmill and losing 60 games annually over the next two or three seasons, as cynical as it sounds, is the clearest path in finding their next franchise player.

The Rockets' trade offer had better value picks and I would have preferred it, but it is clear that this trade beats Brooklyn's offer centered around Brook Lopez, as well as the aforementioned McGrady deal. It also is better than simply switching out Howard for Andrew Bynum (free agent in 2013) and a 2017 first rounder from the Lakers.

Grade for Magic: B+"

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/article/222937/Grading_The_Deal_Dwight_To_Lakers_In_Most_Importan t_NBA_Trade_In_Over_30_Years#ixzz23NUogMhf

YellowOnYellow
08-12-2012, 04:38 PM
F+

I don't think a single pick will be a lottery pick(I don't know what pick is protected how). They got al harrington and aaron affalo and some other people.

Didn't get rid of hedos contract. And to make it worst they resigned jameer.

Didn't get bynum back.

Only thing the magic did was right was they ended this dwight trade request sitcon finally.

Basketball716
08-12-2012, 04:39 PM
realgm is very respected in the basketball world...

Misctify
08-12-2012, 04:40 PM
A+, thanks Orlando.

ElMariachi
08-12-2012, 04:42 PM
F all the way. It'd be one thing if they got quality picks, even another if they got all their picks in the same year, but no, they got picks....LOTTERY PROTECTED picks nonetheless, in random years, with ****ty talent in return.

The New Jersey deal wasn't all that great but it was well above and beyond the garbage that Orlando actually ended up getting in return.

grizz101
08-12-2012, 04:43 PM
this guy is a fuking retard. I give the author a F-

ElMariachi
08-12-2012, 04:46 PM
this guy is a fuking retard. I give the author a F-

His argument is retarded, he's basically saying "well the Magic gave away Dwight Howard and didn't really get **** back in return, so that will help them lose better and get better draft picks, so thus it was a good trade. "

Total herp-derp job.

Backus21
08-12-2012, 04:48 PM
I give it a T- for Turrible

jesusonaciid
08-12-2012, 04:49 PM
B

obvious magic arent winning any time soon, might as well take all the picks. players don't matter that much atm.

ElMariachi
08-12-2012, 04:56 PM
B

obvious magic arent winning any time soon, might as well take all the picks. players don't matter that much atm.

Great point except the picks are ****. 1st rounders in 2014, 2015 and 2017.....is this real life???? Even if any of those teams happen to be ****ty at that time, all the picks are lottery protected. Magic got ****ed.

They were poised to get more draft picks from New Jersey, not to mention that even with Lopez, the total amount of salary they took back would have been only like 6 million dollars more than they took on with Harrington and Afflalo. Plus they're still stuck with Turkey-glue.

J411
08-12-2012, 05:51 PM
Trade was horrible.

high draft picks. Picks not in the lottery in the NBA have a very low chance of being decent.

Kept their bad contracts.

I would be shocked that if there goal was to be bad and get draft picks that they couldn't have gotten a better deal from some where.

gswarrior510
08-12-2012, 07:12 PM
B

they could have gotten better draft picks back

dan213
08-12-2012, 07:14 PM
This is why the NBA is a joke. The only way a smaller market team can be competitive is to suck, draft a star player high in the lottery, and then hope to win until he goes to a big market team in free agency.

HayZues Christi
08-12-2012, 07:59 PM
F+

I don't think a single pick will be a lottery pick(I don't know what pick is protected how). They got al harrington and aaron affalo and some other people.

Didn't get rid of hedos contract. And to make it worst they resigned jameer.

Didn't get bynum back.

Only thing the magic did was right was they ended this dwight trade request sitcon finally.

this. terrible trade. This 30 year thinks he smarter then the world and can draft all stars in the 20s.

ElMariachi
08-12-2012, 08:03 PM
This is why the NBA is a joke. The only way a smaller market team can be competitive is to suck, draft a star player high in the lottery, and then hope to win until he goes to a big market team in free agency.

The depressing thing if you're a Magic fan is that now they're going to spend the next few years sucking ass, hoping desperately that they can draft a talent just like Dwight Howard....all so they can trade him 4-5 years down the line and start all over again.

HayZues Christi
08-12-2012, 08:03 PM

san antonio.
Okc

two of the top 5 teams in the league are small market.

just be happy your team has a large market. If you dont... move.

YellowOnYellow
08-12-2012, 08:15 PM
san antonio.
Okc

You got to admit, those teams got really lucky with duncan and durant, westbrook, ibaka, and harden. You have to draft a superstar and then hope they are loyal with that franchise.

Look at what happend with chris paul and melo. They wanted out and left their teams in the dust so they can win instantly.

The only team I truely feel sorry for is the small market teams that can't land a superstar ii.e. houston, toronto, bobcats.

SICKK
08-12-2012, 08:15 PM
A+, thanks Orlando.

lol this. let's do it again sometime.

ElMariachi
08-12-2012, 08:17 PM
san antonio.
Okc

LOL, San Antonio drafted arguably the best power forward of all time, threw in the best coach not name Phil Jackson and then added all sorts of compatible pieces.

Oklahoma got lucky enough to pull off the #2 pick, #4 and #3 pick, not to mention pick up a borderline All-Star talent in Ibaka late in the first round. Good luck recreating that and hitting on all those picks.

GingerBrah
08-12-2012, 08:19 PM
Sooo basically this article is saying Orlando should bottom out and hope to draft a player BETTER than Dwight to rebuild around... Good luck with that

dankydank
08-12-2012, 08:25 PM
they took the worst trade possible
they somehow traded the franchise player but got raped while every team involved got a lot better

the houston offer was a miracle sent from heaven and those phaggots didnt take it
they could have gotten 2/3 solid rookies AND future lottery picks
instead they get ****ty players and picks that wont amount to anything since theyll be in the 15-25 range and they suck as a franchise at drafting players
they made the rich richer (lakers) and strengthed an eastern conference rival in philly

Masstastic
08-12-2012, 08:27 PM
Sooo basically this article is saying Orlando should bottom out and hope to draft a player BETTER than Dwight to rebuild around... Good luck with that

This.

Good luck with your James McAdoo or Steven Adams goals in 2013.

brb Orlando too good to successfully tank without Stern rigging the draft.

HayZues Christi
08-12-2012, 08:27 PM
You got to admit, those teams got really lucky with duncan and durant, westbrook, ibaka, and harden. You have to draft a superstar and then hope they are loyal with that franchise.

Look at what happend with chris paul and melo. They wanted out and left their teams in the dust so they can win instantly.

The only team I truely feel sorry for is the small market teams that can't land a superstar ii.e. houston, toronto, bobcats.

LOL, San Antonio drafted arguably the best power forward of all time, threw in the best coach not name Phil Jackson and then added all sorts of compatible pieces.

Oklahoma got lucky enough to pull off the #2 pick, #4 and #3 pick, not to mention pick up a borderline All-Star talent in Ibaka late in the first round. Good luck recreating that and hitting on all those picks.

First off I dont believe in luck.

but you guys are acting like winning a title should be easy. Plenty of teams have lottery picks every year. None of the top 4 guys on OKC were the number 1 pick. Name the last championship where the 2 best players where signed in free agency?

Heat - drafted wade
Mavs - Dirk
Lakers - draft day trade for kobe
celtics - paul pierce
San Antonio - Duncan

I guess the Pistons is the only team i can think of. You know, that piston super team built by big market free agency.

All teams win through the draft. Being in a disadvantage would actually be an advantage. If small market teams really lost struggled because of the inability to sign free agents. Lesser record. More lottery picks. Higher chances at Durant, Lebron, Kobe, Dirk, Wade, Duncan.

Ace50
08-12-2012, 08:31 PM
Moe harkless could be good lol srs

YellowOnYellow
08-12-2012, 08:33 PM

but you guys are acting like winning a title should be easy. Plenty of teams have lottery picks every year. None of the top 4 guys on OKC were the number 1 pick. Name the last championship where the 2 best players where signed in free agency?

Heat - drafted wade
Mavs - Dirk
celtics - paul pierce
San Antonio - Duncan

I guess the Pistons is the only team i can think of. You know, that piston super team built by big market free agency.

All teams win through the draft. Being in a disadvantage would actually be an advantage. If small market teams really lost struggled because of the inability to sign free agents. Lesser record. More lottery picks. Higher chances at Durant, Lebron, Kobe, Dirk, Wade, Duncan.

Who said anything about the first pick overall? The pick that the magic got isn't gonna be anywhere near the top 10 which is where most of the superstars are. (Duncan was the first overall draft).

There has not been a team that I can think of to win the championship through the draft. Maybe the mavs if you count them. Recently all the champion teams have gone through the free agncy/trade route. Even the pistons.

Masstastic
08-12-2012, 08:35 PM

Not only that but everybody including the article writer forgets that Seattle traded Ray Allen for a package built around the #5 pick. Great value for an aging player on a longterm deal.

Jeff Green gets forgotten but he's been a pretty solid player. You just don't get lucky enough to rattle off 4 Top 5 picks, while having a legitimate superstar.

It's very hard to duplicate & be successful immediately.

Just look at my Kings for example.

Masstastic
08-12-2012, 08:46 PM
Who said anything about the first pick overall? The pick that the magic got isn't gonna be anywhere near the top 10 which is where most of the superstars are. (Duncan was the first overall draft).

There has not been a team that I can think of to win the championship through the draft. Maybe the mavs if you count them. Recently all the champion teams have gone through the free agncy/trade route. Even the pistons.
This.

None of Orlando's picks are going to be anywhere near that high. They are all going to be late 1st Rd picks, Orlando has no trade assets unless their vets play well & that translates to the wins the Magic are hoping to avoid.

What a terrible situation they are in.

HayZues Christi
08-12-2012, 08:49 PM
This.

None of Orlando's picks are going to be anywhere near that high. They are all going to be late 1st Rd picks, Orlando has no trade assets unless their vets play well & that translates to the wins the Magic are hoping to avoid.

What a terrible situation they are in.

Read my first post. I said that this was a terrible trade. awful.

but acting like small market teams have no chance is not true.

more wins are earned in the draft then free agency.

YellowOnYellow
08-12-2012, 08:58 PM
Read my first post. I said that this was a terrible trade. awful.

but acting like small market teams have no chance is not true.

more wins are earned in the draft then free agency.

Wait we talking about more wins or winning championship. Cause those are two completely different things. Either way, give an example where a team drafted someone and won a championship without added a major piece via free agency/trade. Exclude thunder this year, spurs.

HayZues Christi
08-12-2012, 09:03 PM
Wait we talking about more wins or winning championship. Cause those are two completely different things. Either way, give an example where a team drafted someone and won a championship without added a major piece via free agency/trade. Exclude thunder this year, spurs.

there are more teams that have won without free agency than without the draft.

im not saying that large market teams dont have some advantage. It isnt as big as you say, at least not in the NBA.

Yank11
08-12-2012, 09:13 PM
right now: D+

potentially a B+ if they draft right. Regardless if they draft perfect they won't draft another play of D12's caliber but they couldnt keep dwight if they wanted so...

australiasbrain
08-12-2012, 09:22 PM
basically suck for luck....

whitetigerwoods
08-12-2012, 09:24 PM
F+ unless they get someone like Shabazz or Parker in a year or 2.

Orlando could be decent if they landed a top pick and signed a big FA considering all the money they have.

dan213
08-12-2012, 09:37 PM

Heat - drafted wade
Mavs - Dirk
celtics - paul pierce
San Antonio - Duncan

3 out of the 5 teams you listed won titles because of ridiculous lopsided trades (that only big market teams can pull off) or huge free agency signings. Miami, L.A. and Boston didn't win those titles from drafting.

Your acting like every draft has a KD or LeBron. Those are rare players. You have to suck at the exact right time to change your franchise. Both the Hornets and Bobcats sucked big time this year, but neither got any kind of franchise changing player in the draft.
Yet the Lakers (who went to the 2nd round in the playoffs) were able to get the best big man in basketball and not give up that much in a trade.

There is ZERO reason to have teams like Milwaukee and Toronto in this league if you care about winning. It just can't be accomplished in those types of locations with the way the NBA is currently setup.

woodsmash
08-12-2012, 09:39 PM
I'd give them a C as an overall move because Dwight would have left and left the Magic with nothing to gain but here they're able to get pieces.

But as a trade I'd give them an F+ lol. What a horrible trade.

JustBulk
08-13-2012, 07:32 AM
A+, thanks Orlando.

Came in to post this.

NukeDukem
08-13-2012, 08:20 AM
Where is their cap space and who is their Durant?

Money Shot
08-13-2012, 08:22 AM
I think the Magic did alright. A+ if they could have gotten rid of Turkoglu's contract. Instead, I give them a B

They were going to lose DHoward anyway, so they acquired Afflalo, a bunch of prospects, and a bunch of draft picks. They also dumped Richardson's contract

AlphaDog3
08-13-2012, 10:39 AM
I give them a F. Dumping Richardson is pointless when they end up picking up Harrington who is going to make more money over the life of their contracts. Both guys have three year deals. They were part of a four team trade in which they sent out the best player and got the 4th best player back. Basically, every team in the deal got better except the Magic. It's probably one of the worst trades in NBA history. They now have the 4th highest payroll in the NBA and are one of the worst teams, if not the worst.

Affalo isn't a bad roleplayer, but he's not getting you out of the lottery.

They're tanking and paying DEEP into the luxury tax. Basically, they're doing it wrong.

ElMariachi
08-13-2012, 10:47 AM
F+ unless they get someone like Shabazz or Parker in a year or 2.

Orlando could be decent if they landed a top pick and signed a big FA considering all the money they have.

But they don't. They picked up like 15 million in contracts that will be on the books for the next 3 years. They won't have a lot of money to spend.

ElMariachi
08-13-2012, 10:48 AM
I think the Magic did alright. A+ if they could have gotten rid of Turkoglu's contract. Instead, I give them a B

They were going to lose DHoward anyway, so they acquired Afflalo, a bunch of prospects, and a bunch of draft picks. They also dumped Richardson's contract

And picked up Harrington's...................how the **** is that any better???

AlphaDog3
08-13-2012, 10:51 AM
I give them a F. Dumping Richardson is pointless when they end up picking up Harrington who is going to make more money over the life of their contracts. Both guys have three year deals. They were part of a four team trade in which they sent out the best player and got the 4th best player back. Basically, every team in the deal got better except the Magic. It's probably one of the worst trades in NBA history. They now have the 4th highest payroll in the NBA and are one of the worst teams, if not the worst.

Affalo isn't a bad roleplayer, but he's not getting you out of the lottery.

They're tanking and paying DEEP into the luxury tax. Basically, they're doing it wrong.

Additionally, they just got a new arena built a couple years ago and nobody is buying tickets to see Al Harrington or Aaron Affalo. Good luck selling any tickets to those games.

IllPhill
08-13-2012, 11:02 AM
basically suck for luck....

No, not at all