PDA

View Full Version : Help Ladies: Cardio Fit to Weight Fit - Transformation Pics

TXBRASS
08-11-2012, 07:59 PM
Ladies,

My wife is 38 years old, 123 lbs, 5'2" tall, mother of 3, and a cardio nut. She runs, does Insanity 3-4 times a week, flips tires and is consistent with 800-900 calories a day. She has said that she has about 3-5 pounds of fat left that she wants to lose, but seems to be plateau'd. I think i have her convinced to up her calories to about 1300-1500, but she is showing signs of cardio withdrawal when I mention dropping cardio to once a week and hitting the weight room 4 days a week. She knows the gym, but is a cardio junkie and for the first time is looking to make the switch. It is my job to convince her that is the best option for her to reach her goals.

If there are any of you ladies who went from a "cardio fit" to a "weight fit" would you please post your before and after pics so I can give her a visual incentive to make the change.

(Please look at my posting history so you know Im not a perv just trying to get pics... :-> )

Any typed incentive would work as well. She is not a forum person so I'll be showing her what is posted here to help her make the transition.

Thanks in advance....

MelnCrash
08-11-2012, 08:37 PM
I went from cardio only to weights about 6 months ago. Cardio NEVER got me fit. I NEVER got to my goal body shape. Actually i never even got close. My weight plateaued at a certain point and no matter what i did the fat just hung in there.

Now that i have started weights (and eating a whole lot more) i am closer to my goals than i have ever been. I have not even worked out that much (sometimes its only once a week) and not following any sort of program the fat is just falling off.

To be honest 7 months ago when someone told me to lift i argued and said i will always be a cardio bunny and weights were not my thing and no way will they help me lose weight. LOL well i feel like an idiot now :P

megdaig
08-11-2012, 10:55 PM
http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/photos/view-user-photo/12288981

Before is me after dropping weight lifting and running marathons for 5 years....after is my progress (-32 pounds) after 6 months of weight training

TwistedPandora
08-12-2012, 12:57 AM
I am the same height as your wife and used to be very overweight.
I spent a long time doing excessive amounts of cardio trying to achieve and maintain my goal weight. Sure I managed to get the weight down, but I ended up skinny fat, with loose skin and chasing my tail, forever restricting my calories to try and maintain the lower number on the scale, and like your wife ended up eating below 1000 cals to do it, which frankly is a miserable way to live!

Then I saw the light as it were, and dropped a lot of the cardio, began lifting and adding some muscle and eating more and my body fat went down, my jiggly bits got less jiggly and overall my weight evened out. Yes I did gain some to begin with, but that was mainly due to the fact that I had been under eating, and the fact that I was, and still am adding muscle to my body.
What you also need to understand (Mrs TXBrass) is that it is not really about the number on the scale but about your body fat and muscle mass percentage, and having more muscle, and less fat gives you a better look, even though you may be heavier on the scale.

However, you can't do that on 800cals a day. In my opinion it is way more fun to cut back on the cardio, lift some weights, and be able to eat more food :) It's a win win because you get a better body, and you don't have to spend hours on the treadmill etc and then stress over eating a lettuce leaf!

Good luck

azra17
08-12-2012, 11:25 AM
I am the same height as your wife and used to be very overweight.
I spent a long time doing excessive amounts of cardio trying to achieve and maintain my goal weight. Sure I managed to get the weight down, but I ended up skinny fat, with loose skin and chasing my tail, forever restricting my calories to try and maintain the lower number on the scale, and like your wife ended up eating below 1000 cals to do it, which frankly is a miserable way to live!

Then I saw the light as it were, and dropped a lot of the cardio, began lifting and adding some muscle and eating more and my body fat went down, my jiggly bits got less jiggly and overall my weight evened out. Yes I did gain some to begin with, but that was mainly due to the fact that I had been under eating, and the fact that I was, and still am adding muscle to my body.
What you also need to understand (Mrs TXBrass) is that it is not really about the number on the scale but about your body fat and muscle mass percentage, and having more muscle, and less fat gives you a better look, even though you may be heavier on the scale.

However, you can't do that on 800cals a day. In my opinion it is way more fun to cut back on the cardio, lift some weights, and be able to eat more food :) It's a win win because you get a better body, and you don't have to spend hours on the treadmill etc and then stress over eating a lettuce leaf!

Good luck
Congratulations on your success. I have lost about 27kg (60 pounds) mostly through cardio and restrictig calories. I have reduced cardio now and upped calories..did you eat at maintenance or below? I am scared of eating at maintenance because I think I will gain weight (fat).

*lj
08-12-2012, 11:40 AM
Before is me after dropping weight lifting and running marathons for 5 years....after is my progress (-32 pounds) after 6 months of weight training

One word: WOW!

Well done.

TwistedPandora
08-12-2012, 12:21 PM
Congratulations on your success. I have lost about 27kg (60 pounds) mostly through cardio and restrictig calories. I have reduced cardio now and upped calories..did you eat at maintenance or below? I am scared of eating at maintenance because I think I will gain weight (fat).

Thanks, you have done a great job loosing so much too.
I know it can be really hard after living that life of restricting calories and pounding away at cardio to think that another way can work, but it really can.

I generally stay on or slightly over maintenance (on days when I am ravenous! which I put down to my metabolism maybe increasing a little, and I don't believe in going about starving hungry!) and have not gained fat, and I am wanting to build some muscle.
Being new to weights, I am taking advantage of the newbie phase where it is possible to make small gains and even loose fat at the same time.
My weight did go up a little initially when adjusting to a new routine, but stabilized after a few weeks.

Keep an eye on things, and give it a go. Remember you have to go over by 3500 to gain a pound of fat, and it's not the end of the world if you do, you can just adjust things. You have done an amazing job and proved that you can control your weight and food choices, and are working out. So it's ok to experiment a little, you won't suddenly put 60lbs back on overnight.

Good luck :)

TXBRASS
08-12-2012, 12:34 PM
Thank you ladies. Anymore success stories or before and after pics. My wife is beginning to get excited!!!! IT'S WORKING!!! Keep them coming please...

FirecrackerRed
08-12-2012, 12:53 PM
Wow! Meg you look amazing.

cyanotikat
08-12-2012, 01:13 PM
http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/photos/view-user-photo/12288981

Wow, nice! Good job holay crap!

Fozzy13
08-12-2012, 01:25 PM
holy balls....800 calories a day.

azra17
08-12-2012, 01:49 PM
Thanks, you have done a great job loosing so much too.
I know it can be really hard after living that life of restricting calories and pounding away at cardio to think that another way can work, but it really can.

I generally stay on or slightly over maintenance (on days when I am ravenous! which I put down to my metabolism maybe increasing a little, and I don't believe in going about starving hungry!) and have not gained fat, and I am wanting to build some muscle.
Being new to weights, I am taking advantage of the newbie phase where it is possible to make small gains and even loose fat at the same time.
My weight did go up a little initially when adjusting to a new routine, but stabilized after a few weeks.

Keep an eye on things, and give it a go. Remember you have to go over by 3500 to gain a pound of fat, and it's not the end of the world if you do, you can just adjust things. You have done an amazing job and proved that you can control your weight and food choices, and are working out. So it's ok to experiment a little, you won't suddenly put 60lbs back on overnight.

Good luck :)
Thanks for the reply..I have started lifting "properly" recently-I am following The New Rules Of Lifting For Women programme. I had a bit of muscle gained from doing Barbie Weights at high reps, boxing and circuits. If you told me before that you could lose fat eating at maintenance or higher with less cardio and more weights then I wouldn't have believed you. I don't mind if the scale goes up because I want to gain muscle. I have a lot of fat and lose skin to get rid of. I am slowly getting away from my fear of higher calries and less cardio. I eat "clean" about 90% of the time,and try my best to reach my protein and carbs each day.
I hope you continue to make new gains and learn aswell :)

megdaig
08-12-2012, 02:09 PM
And I thought this pertinent to add....looking back at my logs...from November up until the date of my competition...my TOTAL average calories consumed was around 1700....

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p181/truckdriver07/2012%20Adela%20Garcia%20Classic/Adelaprepdata.png

Proof that there is no need to starve yourself!

freebirdmac
08-12-2012, 02:41 PM
Holy crap! 800-900 calories a day??? That is supremely mucked up. Her metabolism is seriously hosed and she is definitely in ED territory with those calories and cardio addiction. Seriously, she needs to stop all card to break that habit, eat at maintenance for several months, hit the weights, and regain some sanity. Her current routine is killing her body and she will not like the eventual payback. BTW, if she's on a good 3x week full body routine her maintenance is around 2000 calories. No matter what, she's going to experience bloating and a few pounds gained as she brings her calories up. It sucks, but it's normal. Eventually it all goes away.

I hope she gets a good wake up call. Right now instead of being physically fit she's tearing her body up.

TXBRASS
08-13-2012, 10:20 PM
Thank You all very much. Today my wife hit 1500 calories and had an amazing chest, bicep, tricep workout (I was her coach). She has dedicated 4 weeks starting today to 1500 calories a day and 4 days a week weights and one day cardio. I have 4 weeks to make her a believer. Any more tips or tactics or proof pics will be HIGHLY appreciated. THANKS AGAIN!!!

Botika
08-14-2012, 01:01 AM
I wish I had some decent pics to post but I'm only 7 weeks in because I started lifting at the beginning of July (I have a 4 week progress pic on bodyspace). I've been doing weights 4 days a week and 1-2 days of cardio (about 30-45 mins). During the last 6.5 weeks my work pants have got so loose that I had to buy another pair in a smaller size. Tops that were tight now have some room in them. I'm eating about 1600-1700 calories a day and making sure that I get plenty of protein. I'm really impressed with the results... and the best thing is I don't feel like I'm starving all the time!

TXBRASS
08-15-2012, 05:35 AM
I wish I had some decent pics to post but I'm only 7 weeks in because I started lifting at the beginning of July (I have a 4 week progress pic on bodyspace). I've been doing weights 4 days a week and 1-2 days of cardio (about 30-45 mins). During the last 6.5 weeks my work pants have got so loose that I had to buy another pair in a smaller size. Tops that were tight now have some room in them. I'm eating about 1600-1700 calories a day and making sure that I get plenty of protein. I'm really impressed with the results... and the best thing is I don't feel like I'm starving all the time!

Botika,

What is your weight difference in your progress pic in BodySpace?

toodlepip
08-15-2012, 07:38 AM
Thank You all very much. Today my wife hit 1500 calories and had an amazing chest, bicep, tricep workout (I was her coach). She has dedicated 4 weeks starting today to 1500 calories a day and 4 days a week weights and one day cardio. I have 4 weeks to make her a believer. Any more tips or tactics or proof pics will be HIGHLY appreciated. THANKS AGAIN!!!

Think you can get her to up her cals more? As a newbie to lifting she has a great window of opportunity to make quick gains if she eats to support it.

megdaig
08-15-2012, 08:07 AM
Think you can get her to up her cals more? As a newbie to lifting she has a great window of opportunity to make quick gains if she eats to support it.

I second this!! It makes me sad/upset that I didn't know this back when I started lifting in high school...I can only imagine where I'd be today...

Don't let her regret not doing it right the first time. It's a mindfuk but totally will be worth it.