PDA

View Full Version : Going from Weak to Strong

08-10-2012, 01:04 PM
Does anybody have any stories here about starting out not being able to lift that heavy to turning into beasts?

I'm kinda new to weight lifting, but it bums me out sometimes that I can't shoulder press anything heavier than 8lbs dumbbells, not because I think it'll make me bulky but because any heavier and my form suffers. :(

Hopefully that'll change eventually haha

CharliC
08-10-2012, 01:18 PM
I think pretty much everyone started out like that! The good news is that when you're new to lifting, the strength gains do come thick and fast :) If you don't already, it's worth logging your workouts so you can look back in six months time and see how far you've come!

thehobbes
08-10-2012, 11:28 PM
Yeah like CharliC said a lot of people start out that way. A lot of people start not even being able to do a push up, pull up, and are doing pretty much an empty barbell for their lifts. Check out the journaling section, a lot of those logs have been on here for years and you can see how people progress over time. Don't worry about how much you're lifting now, get the form down, lift safely, eat a lot, rest often, and your strength will increase pretty quickly. :)

rdferguson
08-11-2012, 04:51 AM
The first time I did a full ROM bench press, I was just using the empty barbell. Right now my calculated 1RM is about 90kg/200lb.

ChrisDFIT
08-11-2012, 09:12 AM
Everyone starts out with low weights! You have to earn your stripes in bodybuilding, keep training, stay consistent and you will get stronger in both mind and body! Keep a positive attitude and don't let anything bring you down.