PDA

View Full Version : should i replace any of these exercises with something else, for my gf?

sla07
08-10-2012, 08:02 AM
i figured what i am doing is fine for her but just curious to know the take on everyone here and if i should change it for her or add anything different...she comes with me to the gym...and is extremely motivated and seeing results which she is loving...so i just want to try and keep her motivated and adjust any training where needed...i have her keeping track of calories and macros (and she loves it as well oddly enough lol)...so basically this is what i do for my workouts:

3 days per week (my workout week starts on a saturday so, Sat/Mon/Wed)

squats and/or deadlifts (i swap these out every week)
inclined and/or flat bench with dumbbells (i swap these out every week)
chin ups
overhead press
seated row
leg press

as for what i have her doing:

squats (i am going to teach her deadlifts tomorrow)
shoulder press (the machine that you sit on and push up)
dumbbell swing (kettlebell swing with a dumbbell)
overhead press (using the smith machine since she cant pick up the barbell on her own yet)
seated row
leg extensions
leg press

i figured i should probably have her doing flat bench with dumbbells but should i just add it to the routine or replace something shes already doing with it?...maybe just have her do exactly what i do?...thanks for any help/guidance :)...i have her checking out this site too...so she lurks around and reads up on stickies and links i send her :)

megdaig
08-10-2012, 08:09 AM
Sounds like she's really just starting out, it may be easier to have her do BB bench as DBs require a bit more stabilizer muscles and may be a little awkward for her at first. Honestly, why not just mix it up, do each type for a few weeks at a time? And why alternate squats and deadlifts? I'd have her doing squats every week and deadlifts on back day every week.

oregonchick76
08-10-2012, 08:12 AM
I personally think your routine is a solid routine and that is exactly what I'd have her do too - it's basically what I'm doing myself, minus the leg press (not that there's anything wrong with it).

I also like to alternate chin ups with pull ups (overhand vs underhand grip).

Really, this routine targets everything and should suit anyone's needs (in my opinion) for a solid year at least.

Overhead press should probably be done with dumbbells rather than smith until she can heft the bar.

I would probably not do leg extensions, as there is some concern over patellar misalignment with the knee sheer. If you have her do it, I'd not use full ROM - probably starting with knee around 100 degrees. I know I may get hassled for this advice, but I've developed alignment issues myself since doing leg ext, and I can't find another reason for it. I would do leg press with varying foot stance, or more squats...personally.

sla07
08-10-2012, 08:14 AM
Sounds like she's really just starting out, it may be easier to have her do BB bench as DBs require a bit more stabilizer muscles and may be a little awkward for her at first. Honestly, why not just mix it up, do each type for a few weeks at a time? And why alternate squats and deadlifts? I'd have her doing squats every week and deadlifts on back day every week.

thanks for the input!!!..she just started about a month ago...its been an eye opener for her and shes loving it...

noted, on the barbell vs db bench...

well, i dont do a split type routine...i do those exercises every sat/mon/wed...and i have her doing hers every sat/mon/wed....the reason i switch out deadlifts and squats, for myself, is because im exhausted with those exercises after i do them...i havent tried to do both on the same day...but i have a feeling i wont be able to do much :/

sla07
08-10-2012, 08:17 AM
I personally think your routine is a solid routine and that is exactly what I'd have her do too - it's basically what I'm doing myself, minus the leg press (not that there's anything wrong with it).

Really, this routine targets everything and should suit anyone's needs (in my opinion) for a solid year at least.

Overhead press should probably be done with dumbbells rather than smith until she can heft the bar.

I would probably not do leg extensions, as there is some concern over patellar misalignment with the knee sheer. If you have her do it, I'd not use full ROM - probably starting with knee around 100 degrees. I know I may get hassled for this advice, but I've developed alignment issues myself since doing leg ext, and I can't find another reason for it. I would do leg press with varying foot stance, or more squats...personally.

thanks for the advice as well!!

yea i figured getting away from the smith is the best option...i may get heat for this but unfortunately the gym in my building doesnt have a squat rack so i had started her off with squats there but have transitioned her to the barbell...since shes not picking up a lot of weight...im able to put it on her back when shes ready, and have her do squats with the barbell which i think is far better than the smith machine...

i will definitely transition her to use db for ohp...sounds like a better option and as the poster before you mentioned, it will require her using more stabilizer muscles...

btw, regarding leg extensions...i'll keep that in mind...so either add more squats or change foot stance on leg press...maybe replace leg extensions with lunges?

LadyBigFood
08-10-2012, 08:21 AM
I start every workout with chinups. When I first started, I couldn't do one. I'm now up to 3 sets of 8...and let me tell you, nothing makes me feel as badass as banging out those sets in front of the guys at the gym.

megdaig
08-10-2012, 06:51 PM
thanks for the input!!!..she just started about a month ago...its been an eye opener for her and shes loving it...

noted, on the barbell vs db bench...

well, i dont do a split type routine...i do those exercises every sat/mon/wed...and i have her doing hers every sat/mon/wed....the reason i switch out deadlifts and squats, for myself, is because im exhausted with those exercises after i do them...i havent tried to do both on the same day...but i have a feeling i wont be able to do much :/

Ok...that makes sense. For some reason I interpreted it as you only did squat once a week and DL once a week. So essentially you're doing both twice a week. She should make tremendous gains.

I see you have leg extension but not curls...are you using leg press and squats for more hamstring activation? Don't want her to become too quad dominant...maybe every few days do stiff legged DL?

sla07
08-10-2012, 08:14 PM
Ok...that makes sense. For some reason I interpreted it as you only did squat once a week and DL once a week. So essentially you're doing both twice a week. She should make tremendous gains.

I see you have leg extension but not curls...are you using leg press and squats for more hamstring activation? Don't want her to become too quad dominant...maybe every few days do stiff legged DL?

aahh no, i actually do squats 3 times, one week with no dl...and then dl's 3 times the following week, with no squats...i should probably do one week squats twice and dl once...the following dl twice and squats once...but ive just been working this for now and will shift it where necessary...

i'll be teaching her dl's tomorrow actually...ive taught it to her before so she knows the motions and concepts...especially maintaining form...

ah my complete mistake, i actually did mean leg curls in my original post, NOT leg extension :/ ...

with having leg curls, along with squats and leg press, should that be overall enough?

hhmmm maybe i should include the sldl like you mentioned...

btw, thanks again for taking the time and replying on this...much appreciated!!...it shows that you are in houston?....we might be relocating there soon lol

wakechica
08-10-2012, 10:29 PM

I find leg ext causes alignment issues from over working outside quad and doesn't really target the inner quads which makes outer tighter and pulls the patella off alignment. There are far better leg exercises out there!

drarmament
08-11-2012, 07:43 AM
Nope train the same, why replace, there is no reason. My wife trains the same as me.