PDA

View Full Version : carbs and sugar in different skim milk

ventodimare
08-10-2012, 03:55 AM
Hello,
I'm confused by the nutritional information of different "skim" milk.

Coles skim milk has the following (per 250 ml):
Carbs=12,8
Sugar=12,8

Sanitarium skim milk has the following (per 250 ml):
Carbs=12,8
Sugar=5

My understanding is that any carb eventually gets broken down into sugar, so there is NO real
difference between Coles milk and Sanitarium milk.
The only advantage of Sanitarium is that the 12,8 - 5 = 7,5 g of carbs are going to take time to be
transformed into sugar while the 12,8 g of carbs of Coles milk don't need to be transformed in sugar as
they are all,already sugar.

Am I missing something?

Cheers

oskarhul09
08-10-2012, 04:06 AM
they are both the same thing, just written different for what reason i have no idea. They both contain the same amount of lactose, unless sanitarium contains added sucrose or something.

in the end it doesnt make a difference, like you said, they all get broken down into glucose anyway. Speed of conversion really means nothing.

ventodimare
08-10-2012, 06:58 AM
Hi thanks for your reply.
I see what you mean.
I checked again and The breakdown Sanitarium skim milk is (per 250 ml):
Carbs=12,8
Sugar=5
Lactose =0
Galactose =0
But in the ingredients there is corn maltodextrin: maybe is it the maltodextrin?

Cheers

they are both the same thing, just written different for what reason i have no idea. They both contain the same amount of lactose, unless sanitarium contains added sucrose or something.

in the end it doesnt make a difference, like you said, they all get broken down into glucose anyway. Speed of conversion really means nothing.